A New Project; about time

woodsv

Recently I picked up an 85 750 Virago for cheap. I wanted it just as a cheap summer ride. The bike needed a few little things but overall was a good running bike and in great condition. While I was away working on a 14 day rotation I advertised locally for a parts bike. A guy contacted me with a 1981 xv750 which is different than the 86 except for a few things. The engines are practically the same tho. So for $250 THE GUY DELIVERED the bike to my garage while I was still at work. It came with registration and all. When I got home I fooled with it a it and got it turni g over. Good fire but stale gas. I decided it was too good to let it go to waste so I am going to make it a project. I have done a few projects before but never documented many. I'm hoping to document it this time. I started to tear down the bike today a d discovered an issue right away. I planned to take the like apart a little but to get it running bef9re going too far. But when I got the rear section I realized the left side of the rear tire has no clearance with the swing arm. I know the tire might be bigger and that would soak up some real estate but it should not eat it all up. I'm putting g up a few pics. 1st is the Virago that I am riding, 2nd is the Virago I will be working on and then pics of the tire. if anybody has any input on the tire issue it would be appreciated. oh and I'm putting this in bob n chop but I'm not sure where I will be going with this yet. When I figure that out I will put this in the appropriate section.

Attachments

• 20170507_182700.jpg
    20170507_182700.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 306
  • BC87A4CD-.jpg
    BC87A4CD-.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 20170524_190316.jpg
    20170524_190316.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 294
  • 20170524_190615.jpg
    20170524_190615.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 307
you can't really see it in the pics but the tire is actually rubbing the swing arm. The clip on the tape so t even fit between the tire and arm.

Attachments

• 20170524_190626.jpg
    20170524_190626.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 309
For a quick check just see if the wheel spacer are fitted properly, maybe it was just rebolted too quickly and inverted the two spacer, unless you find that the swingarm is bent or the axle holes
Just inspect your good virago and see the project bile

Sent from my GT-I9505 using DO THE TON mobile app

I actually checked a site I frequent which shows a "parts explosion" diagram. If seems that all of the parts are correct and the installation is done in proper sequence. I'm confident by looking and doing a few measurements that the arm is square and aligned properly. My other Virago is a 2 shock set up and this one is mono so 2 different beasts altogether which deletes any chance of comparison of them. im going on the hunt this weekend for another mono bike so I can compare. Only problem around here is we have mostly people who buy new bikes and it's rare that you will find anything from back in the 80's. It also means, unfortunately, we have allot of riders that can afford big expensive bikes but unfortunately do not possess the experience or skills to ride them properly.

So far I haven't a diagnosis on the tire clearance issue but I'll get there. I did some more disassembly today. Then I decided it's time to get this thing started up before going any further into the project. I drained the tank and carbs and I'll tell you I've never smelled gas quite as stale as this before. I had to leave my garage doors up all day to clear the stench and its still not gone. The gas was so far gone that i doubt if it would light with a match. lol So I added fresh gas and filled the carbs. Turns over great with nice spark but no go. I'm betting after the state of the fuel that the carbs are in a bad state. I'll face that next. I did add a set of straight bars which I had laying around just to make.it easier to move the bike because the original bars are too awkward for handling and pushing it around. I like the look of them tho. sort of a drag look. we'll see......Also I was thinking of adding a disc brake setup on the rear but after watching another build thread on another site and seeing the complete pain in the butt it is I may just leave we'll enough alone and just assure that the rear drum setup is in top shape. The front end now that might be a different story.....

oh and some pics... 2nd pic is of the pipes that came with the bike. I like them enough that I am hoping they will fit whatever style I ultimately go with.

Attachments

• 20170525_143817.jpg
    20170525_143817.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 293
  • 20170525_143808.jpg
    20170525_143808.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 289
Back
Top Bottom