DO THE TON / DIME CITY CYCLES BIKE OF THE MONTH - JUNE 2017 VOTING

Vote!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Vote! Nominees let me know if you want a different photo in the poll. Post up your pics!

This is what it is.
81 KZ550 with GPz550 head and oil cooler
Front fork rebuild with progressive springs. Custom built Hagons in the rear.
Tarozzi fork brace
Raask rearsets
TK 30mm carburetors, K&N pods
Electronic ignition
MAC 4 into1 exhaust
Stainless steel brake lines

So, here is what happened.
Picked up a 81 KZ550 from Mr. E that was in ummm, let's say less than perfect condition. Most notably a busted transmission.
So, the engine came out, bottom cases split and another transmission was put in. Engine was refinished in a satin black along with the frame after sand blasting. Front suspension was rebuilt using progressive springs, rear shocks replaced with custom built Hagons for my 195 pound butt. Found a cool Kawasaki retro orange color to spray on the tins with matching wheel stripes. New coils and electronic ignition went on. The exhaust headers were rusted and had a few holes so a new MAC 4 into 1 was sourced and installed. Oh, almost forgot about the Avon roadriders that I got in trade for the DR500 of Kiley's that is nominated for this months BOTM!
After reassembly was complete and a few bugs worked out , I found that this little bike absolutely RIPS!!! And handles pretty sweet also.
5ead106607e77d744dc47d81b5b8e5d9.jpg
64834fbd8e41b5868c3073f89aceb905.jpg
6d5c0fd38c4c7662f958ec573501cb5e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So after selling off my XS650 bobber in 2015, I got on the hunt for a Triumph to do a build with. It wasn't more than a week later that I stumbled across a '69 Bonnie basket case up near Gurnee, IL about 2.5 hrs from me... not much info in the ad and not good pics... but it was a '69 which is my birth year. So on a hunch I drove up and took a look at it. It turned out to for sure be a basket case but it was a mostly complete basket case... which goes a long way in British bikes, parts can be $$$. But the price was about right where it should be so I snagged it. and over two summers embarked on a ground up restoration... with the help of my Triumph buddies I did a near 100% resto on this old girl. We tore the engine down and replaced all bearings and had the crank/rods serviced along with a fresh top end rebuild. EVERYTHING was rebuilt / replated / replaced / Painted / powder coated. This spring finally got the bike ready to start and now she's on the road and looking better than she ever did.
Here's some before/during/and after pics of my '69 Bonnie.

2AFB1B1D-230F-44EF-8808-68AD0EA170D8_zps6bzl1ziv.jpg

97CC4CB3-7B5A-464A-9587-F675FE69F339_zps8pccvdlj.jpg

577A59C7-18EF-483B-936D-11305848FCDC_zpsdfhslfff.jpg

5DD93E8F-E07B-420B-8420-CDFE22F75022_zpsrjznpzqc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna have to try and get a pic of Kiley's, Neal's and my bike together. 3DogNate, you are welcome to join in the pic too if you want to ride the Bonnie to Bama.

cyclefreak said:
Gonna have to try and get a pic of Kiley's, Neal's and my bike together. 3DogNate, you are welcome to join in the pic too if you want to ride the Bonnie to Bama.

I am planning to go the Barber this year... if everything works out I'm gonna get there.

3DogNate said:
I am planning to go the Barber this year... if everything works out I'm gonna get there.

Cool.

Okay I'll play. Since we are all bike hoarders, Jared drug home a crappy bike that he found from a guy at the local battery store. It sat around in the storage building for about a year and I decided I wanted to build a dual sport because the prospects of motorcycle camping made me happy! I worked out a deal and traded a set of tires to him for the pile and drug it home. The engine was full of water and locked up, it was missing half of its parts, but it was a 500cc thumper so she had good bones:

0bce7977c5022583ceb3857d34a7055f.jpg

So I tore the bike down to the frame in my normal fashion. Rebuilt the motor with an over bore, had the head rebuilt by Joe at DWMS racing, converted the bike to 12v stator with DR600 parts, added an oil cooler and new clutch as well with an FCR 39 carb to top it all off. I cut the rear of the bike off and rebuilt the rear end using Yamaha TTR250 swingarm, DR350 cush drive rear wheel and KTM 640 Ohlins rear suspension. The front got a set of rebuilt RMZ450 front forks. Body work was changed to DR650 Acerbis tank and a seat concepts seat. Ascot headlight on custom mounts, renthal bars, hand guards, the list goes on and on. I basically took a junk 1981 dual sport and turned it into a capable adventure camping dual sport that has become my favorite bike to ride! Here's the build thread:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69470

And here's a couple of finished shots:

92a40bbaca7ae12b3ca792c0a276326f.jpg

b75c36bfc416cfc123a30668a7c33505.jpg

aad3da021e6feb97b86ed218daece160.jpg

Blah blah blah. Yakitey smakitey. Wanna race the DR against the KZ?

cyclefreak said:
Blah blah blah. Yakitey smakitey. Wanna race the DR against the KZ?

Sure, I get to pick the road though

All nice machines and all worthy of some attention. Congrats 3DogNate, outstanding work!

Congrats! I guess it's natural this time of year for everyone to be focussed on riding / getting their bikes ready - need to pump up the voting!

super beautiful bike 3dognate and well deserved win.

Since Jarrod and Neil tied for 2nd, what is Kiley in for? lol

Back
Top Bottom