Turn signals not working

Xs7501978

I know there are already so many of these questions on here but they all have specific reasons there turn signals aren't working(such as just setting them up in the previous turn signal post.) My bike has been having trouble starting right up and when my brother redid the electronics it was starting perfectly, so I was unplugging all the connectors cleaning them out and then plugging them back together. Well I seem to have messed up my turn signals somehow because I went for a ride and they were not working. Ive unplugged everything amd checked all the connections I messed with and they all look good. My signals are aftermarket(put on 3 months ago or so and were working fine before yesterday. They dont light up or anything.
Yes I have checked the fuses. Any help is greatly appreciated

f0b4a86e164361bf0ebe4cd34c06bc8e.jpg
89e951257a16feda61873b77d0d6b0af.jpg
2911974c3c2224bd4942901f0b28d549.jpg

Grab a multimeter.

On your flasher relay, verify the following:
With the ignition switch on, brown wire should have 12V
Yellow/green wire should not be grounded (not all models have this wire, skip this step if you don't have it)

Turn your ignition switch off.

On the brown/white wire, you should have continuity to ground if you are signalling left or right, but no continuity if the turn signal switch is not activated.

If you pass all of the above tests, it's probably an issue with your flasher relay.

If you don't pass all these tests, let us know which one(s).

I replaced the flasher relay and it didnt fix it. Do I still need to figure out how to do the tests?

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
Yeah... you probably should have done the tests before replacing your relay.
Alright I'll see if I can do these tests tomorrow, you seem to be the genius so I'll just suck it up and do them. Having blinkers is prob a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
Grab a multimeter.

On your flasher relay, verify the following:
With the ignition switch on, brown wire should have 12V
Yellow/green wire should not be grounded (not all models have this wire, skip this step if you don't have it)

Turn your ignition switch off.

On the brown/white wire, you should have continuity to ground if you are signalling left or right, but no continuity if the turn signal switch is not activated.

If you pass all of the above tests, it's probably an issue with your flasher relay.

If you don't pass all these tests, let us know which one(s).
Alright I finally did the tests...my results were
Brown wire didn't show any volts

I didn't know how to do the brown/green ground test but I stuck the prongs in anyways...a black bar flashed on the screen

I did the next test with the ignition switch off as you said

The brown/white wire had a flashing bar aswell but that's the only thing that showed up on my multimeter, whether the turn Signal switch was set to signal either direction or none at all

If the first brown wire has no voltage than your entire turn signal system will not function.

Just as a temporary test, find a brown wire in your harness that does have power and run a jumper from that wire to the flasher relay where the dead brown wire should have plugged in. Then try your turn signals and see if they are now functioning.

Well I actually thing my voltmeter is broken ... but the blinkers started working randomly(the front right burned out so I bought a new one...but it burned out again like 2 min after I turned the blinker on....maybe a short?

No. A short circuit won't usually harm bulbs or components, only wires and fuses. Bulbs burning out are usually an issue with too high of a voltage or too much vibration.

Hmm how would I get to high of a voltage on 1 bulb? I know vibration isn't an issue because it burns out too fast for that to affect it

Hmm well it looks like it started working again, it just flashes pretty fast now...I looked at the bulb and it looked burned out but now it seems to be working. I guess I need a led flasher relay for the smaller bulb

Back
Top Bottom