attn Goldwing Gurus

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
I previously owned a GL1100. I sold that a few years back to help fund the new home construction.
Now I am back in the game, so to speak. I am building a naked bobber/ cafe style bike for my brother- using his 1983 GL1100.

His brakes are a complete mess. They are frozen up, leaking, etc. Because we are simplifying the bike, I want to do away with the front/rear sync'd brake setup. Does anyone have recommendations or a tutorial here that discusses converting to a standard front/ rear setup where the front lever controls both front calipers and the rear lever control the rear brakes?

I would assume I could just run a two line setup from front master cylinder to both front brakes. What size/ bore master cylinder is needed for this setup?

Regarding the rear, is there a master cylinder swap that would allow a single braided steel line to go from the back master cylinder to the stock back brakes?

Thanks for the assistance.

There are two issues here. One is relative size of master to calipers and the other is what's available that fits.

I would start by measuring the pistons in all calipers and then use the table on Vintage Brake to determine suitable master cylinder size. If you are lucky, the rear will already be suitably sized. If not search for a suitable rear master.

The front should be simpler to find one suitably sized, but it might be a great opportunity to replace the calipers with something more modern to upgrade the brakes.

From what I read on line, it looks like the fronts can be replaced with 82 models, but I'd suggest upgrading to a complete set from something big and heavy - say a ZX14.

That way, you can strip out the delay valve and proportioning valve and run new lines like any simple system.

the 83 gl1100 has a one year only rear master and and proportioning valve

you will have to remove both and the steel brake line

fabricate a bracket for you choice of master i have used a 82 standard

i have also used a 82or 81 front master the 82 brake lines

take note the 83 has 2 different size caliper pistons so you will need to replace the smaller rear twinned caliper with

one from a 82 so you have all the same size pistons

Back
Top Bottom