Virago Wheel conversion development

focusinprogress

City Limit Moto:Parts-Service-Apparel (716)8038606
So, I've been working on a few virago's as of late for some customer builds and I've always hated the stock swirly wheels.

This prompted me to look into other options, primarily spoke wheels. What I found, is that there were a few possibilities that others have done but all took a whole bunch of fiddling in varying degrees.

Most have used later model xv700 spoke rear wheels but it takes some custom spacers and a few other mods to make work....most of which is tough for the average weekend warrior to do.

V-star 1100 uses the same spline drive, but the wheel is 1.25" wider and equally 1.25" off-center, requiring a $700 cost for a custom offset hoop and spokes, plus requires the swingarm to be modified.

I'm now working in CAD to design a custom machined hub that will be bolt-on for the virago yet lace up with reasonably priced spokes and hoops from mikesxs, and I've just purchased a CNC machine to be able to make these!

in the meantime, I've got a built to finish and needed another wheel conversion to get this bike done....so I started looking into different yamaha Mags.

I've also had a crapload of xs750/850 triple's around esp cause I've owned 6 myself. That's where we are at now.

Xv- Xs wheel conversion by nicholas edsell, on Flickr

so, what this required was some conversion wheel bearings to get to 17mm ID instead of the 20mm ID used on the triples, swapping the internal ring gear from the XS hub to the XV carrier (pretty simple), and a bushing for the caliper mount. Oddly, the brake stay and axle from the XV were able to be retained and worked perfectly. The wheel required the dust shield be removed, and two bolts on the XV hub needed swapped for shallower headed bolts. Otherwise this went great, and I think the 18" straight-spoke mags look far more at home, and a disc brake upgrade ain't so bad either!

Anyway, I have enough parts to replicate this mag wheel swap as a bolt-on kit for someone if anyone is interested....including the wheels. front wheel is a direct swap already. If Interested PM me.

I like it. Ive never owned a virago, but ive seen quite a few custom builds, many of them to a very high caliber, yet they are forced to retain the rear wheel. I think if you can build up a reasonably priced option, they should sell quite well.

good luck with the project

Yep. There are so many people asking over at the Virago tech Forum about options for spoke wheel changes. A lace up hub that is reasonably priced should sell well. Glad to see more options for these old girls.

Sent from my K6 using DO THE TON mobile app

Looking forward to what you can develop for spoked wheels. I see that Cognito Moto markets a rear hub for spoke wheels but requires a disk brake.

My approach was to use the 18 inch wheels from an XZ550 for a scramber that is posted over at the VTF. If you can develop laced hubs and work a deal with MikesXS that would be killer.

Hello there, I am an associate with Revival Parts LLC. Throw us into your build. If we can assist with anything let us know. We have 3D capabilities and are always interested in new innovative approaches to builds. We are the cooperate office for Dime City Cycle, MikesXS, Z1 Enterprises and Randakks. Definitely keep us in mind. You can contact me direct at norton@revivalparts.com

well, I have figured out why cognito designed theres to be disc brake.....

the hole centerline circle for the spokes on xs650 hub is identical to outside diameter of the virago braking surface in the virago hub.

I've modeled the xs650 hub and am about halfway through the virago version but I am going to work on a potential 3rd version which could be a hub to fit virago but requiring an xs650 brake plate (with all hardware and shoes of course).

I figure if I just design a hub that could be sent to buchanan spokes, they could easily whip up a set of spokes and handle lace/true for potential customers rather since xs650 spokes clearly wont work with regular virago brake hardware.

OK, so good news/bad news.

the bad news is that there is no way to make a hub compatible with ANY xs650 off-the-shelf or used parts.

The good news is, I think I've got a hub prototype about 95% designed. Just have to add the pilot holes for threading for the 5 mounting bolts for the spline drive and the 4 screws for the dust shield.

Basically, sending this off to Buchanan and asking for a hoop and spokes to match should be absolutely no issue....but by the time this combo is complete with hub, spokes, hoop (with drilling), and assembly/truing.....it'll likely be an $800-1000 completed wheel.

here's some pics.

XVspokeHUBbrake by nicholas edsell, on Flickr

XVspokeHUBdrive by nicholas edsell, on Flickr

going to chat with a friend that has a 3D printer and see if he can print me a prototype for a reasonable price.

Hi everyone I'm new here. I've been on this site for so long, just didn't have the right project to take on to urge me to register, but now I do. So I guess, i'd really like to ask, if there's any update to this conversion? Good job on this by the way focusinprogress.

Back
Top Bottom