1980 Yamaha SR250

Anderson647

So I went through the wiring and I still can't seem to find the problem with my start button. I can get the engine to crank over and try to start if it touch a ground wire to the engine it will crank. If I put the key in and turn it to on, all my lights come on. But as soon as I hit start my lights just dim. Ive opened it up and everything seems too look decent. My instructor Mr. Baas is out of Ideas too as he mainly deals with bobbers. Im pretty new to working on bikes as I'm only 16 and work on bikes in my shop classes. Would love it if anyone had some ideas or could help me out a but. The Bike is a Yamaha 1980 SR250.

Get a set of jumper leads and connect them from a car battery to your motorcycle (don't turn the car engine on). If it starts this way, it's just time for a new battery.

The battery is brand new and all my lights come on just can't get it to turn over with the starter button. If I connect the positive and connect the ground to the cylinder head lights work and it turns over but it will not turn over when I push the starter button.

It'll be an issue with the starter button, the solenoid, or the wiring somewhere in between.

The solenoid should be an easy one to test. Disconnect the solenoid from the harness and jump the blue/white wire to the negative terminal of the battery. The red/white wire can be touched to the battery positive terminal. The starter motor should engage if the solenoid is working. If it does not engage the starter motor, you've found your problem.

If the solenoid does work, the issue is either with the start button or the wiring. The button can be tested with a multimeter, but the test isn't always conclusive (a low resistance reading usually indicates a good switch, but there is also the consideration of the amount of current that needs to be carried, which is harder thing to to measure with a meter). I would be inclined to replace both the switch and to run new wiring.

Sorry to hijack the thread but was just wondering if you could help me out. Just curious where the earth from the battery gets bolted to?

Got this bike as an unfinished project and just have it earthed to the frame at the moment.

Cheers
SD

Super Dooper said:
Got this bike as an unfinished project and just have it earthed to the frame at the moment.

Perfect. Any bare metal will do, but the thicker the better.

Super Dooper said:
thanks Sonreir,

Was just curious where the stock battery cable is fixed.

Almost always along with one of the engine mounts, between the frame and engine.

Back
Top Bottom