sr 400 wiring

grumpyman

Hi all,
Sr 400 question,
Could some one please tell help me connect my 3GW - 10 ignition (07000 -2540) TCI/CDI to its controller! Controller 3GW - 85740.
Think it might be a '98 bike as the thing is a bit of a hybrid. it was running but loom was pretty ragged so was silly enough to launch into a rewire. So far everything works except ignition which needs the controller connected cant find a wiring diagram for the SR with these to units on it.
would much appreciate any guidance.
regards
Grumpy

nope, thats the problem,cant find a diagram that has this kind of set up, all ive got in my Haynes manual shows the CDI as a self contained unit on its own.

If you're not able to find instructions for the 3GW unit (which I assume is aftermarket), you might want to go back to a stock CDI box.

3GW is the SR400 is it not? I'm not familiar with different years and models to know the changes, but you could look at any site with parts lists and see what igniter box was fitted to which year of production to see if there are changes. Then you could match the harness or replacement CDI to the bike.

Sometimes the internal circuits were changed to give different advance curves but some models of Suzuki for example changed from mechanical advance to electronic advance so you may need a different CDI box aka "Igniter".

I suspect that the CDI is for a different year of bike.

How many connectors does your CDI have and now many appear in the wiring loom? What year is your bike and what is the model number (first few letters/numbers of engine number should tell you that.

Hi,
Yep I tried looking in parts lists for a model that used these components. Couldnt find a bike that used the 2 units together.
Engine number starts with 2H6 which would sugest an '88? But the ignition components dont appear to be used until '98. The biggest hurdle is I cant find a loom diagram for a '98 on line. Any idea were to look?

Hi Teazer,
CDI has a 6 pin plug,
1 x orange
1 x black
1 x blue/yellow
1 x light blue
1 x blue black
1 x blue
also a single black/white wire coming out of that loom

Controller has
4 wires
1 x orange
1 x black
1 x brown
2 x blue from same terminal

This is quite a puzzle for those of us that have never owned an SR. From what I have seen on line the xxx-85740-00 is a fuel pump control unit. That implies that it should be fitted to a fuel injected bike and not one with a carb. Is your bike EFI or Carb?

Try to do some more model code research, but if your bike is an early model, it's unlikely that the CDI or control unit are designed to work on your bike.

We should probably take a couple of steps back and ask:

What country are you in?
What year is the bike?
What is the model code and VIN on the steering head (first few numbers - we don't need the last few digits)
On the main wiring loom is there a part number or model code?
Presumably the bike was in bits when you got it. What is the history of the bike as best as you know it?
When did it last run and what happened to it after that?

That might give us a head start on this.

Feel free to post any pictures of the bike and relevant parts

standard bike 34mm Mikuni Carb
as I said earlier bike was running untill I was too heavy handed with side cutters it rode well
alloy rims, stainless spokes, rear sets and clip ons, staintune pipe, 4 leading shoe front end off an XS 1 650, wearing TZ tank and seat unit (photos to follow)
Eng # 2H6 277012
VIN JTR 341955
Bike in (very ) sunny Castlemaine central Victoria, Australia

So the latest is that think it is an '83 motor with an early nineties ignition. Cant seem to find a Nineties service manual seems like Yamaha didnt think people would need them for that decade. Any ideas were to find a wiring diagram for a "92 SR 400 This is really starting to do my head in :mad:

I see lots of 2015 on and a few XT500 but not a lot for earlier SR400's. Were they officially imported back then or was it a grey market import perhaps?

https://www.repairmanuals.co/products/yamaha-motorcycle-repair-service-manual-choose-your-motorcycle-instant-access?cmp_id=992550392&adg_id=47921554743&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvHVzY7_3wIVRBx9Ch3tqg-AEAYYAiABEgJsLfD_BwE

They appear to have one that covers a 98 SR400.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Yamaha-Sr400-SR-400-Bike-Service-Repair-Maintenance-Workshop-Shop-Manual-2015/1945348209?iid=183610351432&chn=ps

If you hacked off wires and it ran before, do you still have those connectors and off cuts? Sounds like a PO changed from the original CDI to a later one for some reason. Maybe that 3GW CDI needs the fuel controller to operate, even if it's not connected to an injector.

One possibility to is to get an early model CDI from Japan. They are available quite cheaply. And a stock wiring harness. Google search and you will find a company in Japan selling them (website is in English). They might have a harness and CDI to match your bike.

It's also worth digging around on any site or forum dealing with SR's to see if there's any reference to the 3GW modification ie is there a good reason to do it.

I have been working with a guy from your town for years now. His family used to own a farm and the local pub according to him. I lived in Geelong and Melbourne area for years before I moved to the US. It was never this hot though.
Stay cool.

Based on the wire colors, I think your "controller" is for another purpose. Lighting relay, maybe?

Your CDI box has two plugs, correct? One should go to the stator and the other should have three wires: Orange, Black, and Black/White.

Orange to the ignition coil, black to ground, and black/white to the kill switch and ignition switch. I think you should be able to bypass the other box.

you would think so, and how you have suggested is how we wired it and no spark but the contoller has an orange wire (coil).
What I think so far

TSI/CDI
Orange (Coil common to controller)
Black (Ground)
Black/White (Kill switch/not running switch so will earth to frame)
Blue (Trigger to controller)
Blue/Yellow ?
Light Blue ?
Blue Black ?

Controller
Orange (Coil common to CDI)
Black (Ground)
Brown (Power)
2 x Blue sharing 1 terminal (CDI trigger)

Thats the best I can come up with
and if it doesnt work then its off to Rexs speed shop for a new CDI and Stator. I wasnt going down the performance road but I do live in the "hotrod capital of Australia" so may as wel go nuts!

The black/white wire from the CDI, box; do not earth it. Connecting black/white to earth is how the CDI box knows to kill the spark. The CDI box runs on power directly from the stator, so if you're not going to use a kill switch, you still need to connect the black/white wire to the ignition switch so that the bike will still switch off.

Does that make sense?

Do you still have the wiring and connectors that you cut off? Can you match them to the wires you have left?

Matt, AFAIK the controller is for EFI but it's possible that it may be necessary to avoid an error code in the ECU.

Why not buy a year appropriate ECU and harness and plug it in and run that?

BTW, what city are you in? I caught a few minutes of Mad Max while I was having lunch - dubbed for the US audience. WT actual F mate! I think I have a copy on DVD with original voices on it. Need to dig that and Stone out to watch next time it snows here.

Thats the problem they dont all quiet match up but thanks for the top tip about black/white. I'm in Castlemaine about an hour and a half north of Mad Max country, which is slowly being swallowed up by suburban Melbourne. But some of the roads are still there and are regularly visited by Mad Max diehards, you can tell by the circles of rubber they leave behind. In fact I work in the film game and we often use the Mad Max locations. Foriegn crews are always impressed when we tell them. "Yep thats the bridge were Grant Page trashed his Z-9. (Grant only retired from the stunt buisness about 5 years ago and was still setting fire to himself, jumping off stuff and trashing bikes).Anyway were going to have a crack at getting a spark tonight (have to wait till his shed cools down, too hot to work during the day!) If it works Ill have to change my handle from Grumpyman.

I used to live in Geelong and worked in Broadmeadows, so drove home along some of those roads - at least I think that's where some was filmed. Looked like the You Yangs in the background in one shot.

But what about a loom (harness) and matching CDI from Japan to save all the trauma?

stopped at the local servo before Christmas and this pulled in for some fuel!

"You've 've seen it,you've heard it and you still dont believe it."

Geelong to Broady thats quiet a haul everyday. was the ring road a thing then?

And yes, Mad Max all shot around the You Yangs.

Heres some photos of the SR as well

Attachments

• more interceptor.jpg
    more interceptor.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 584
  • interceptor.jpg
    interceptor.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 242
  • more SR.jpg
    more SR.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 367
  • SR.jpg