Nixon - '72 CL450 - Updates and Upgrades

Re: Nixon - '72 CL450

WOW :eek:

Great job on that paint Flug, it looks perfect! Very clean, Nixon should shape up to be a down right impressive scoot!

Alright, I know I've been slacking, but we all know how life gets in the way of our hobbies.

I am currently working on the cleaning and painting the back wheel. It will probably be more work than the front. I also bought a cb350f tank. I mocked up the bike with the shorty shocks I got and dropped the trees on the forks 2" to get an idea of how everything is going to look.

So, now my dilema. I think the tank is too short (front to back). I will not be using that seat. I am going to make one out of aluminum.

I didn't think I would ever do this, but I am going to ask for your opinions. Right now I think I am going to try and get a cb750f tank for it. I think that will have the longer look I am going for. However, I will have to have some knee dents cut into it.

!B+uli7g!2k~$(KGrHqN,!lEEz+6Oy)BIBN!l)rT)cw~~_12.JPG

So, what do you guys think? cb350f or cb750f tank?

I just bought one today myself. It would def make it look longer but maybe too long. You dont have a desire to shorten the rails of the seat?

Well I am a big fan of the CB350f tank (go figure), but I see your delima with lenght. The CB350f tank may not work due to length, but I think the 750 tank will look pretty massive atop that engine. I think a Honda S65 or S95 (same tank I believe) would look pretty good on there. Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-FUEL-TANK-HONDA-S90-SUPER-90-60S-VINTAGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c06412c3QQitemZ110601966275QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
But I really am not sure how much longer that is than the CB350f tank. Not sure what this tank is from, but it looks pretty cool and its deminsions are listed by the seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe-Gas-Tank-Honda-Cafe-CB750-CB550-Vintage-No-Reserve-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c17e32cd5QQitemZ120659848405QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

There is something for you to toss around in your thinkbox, I am sure you will find something fitting as your taste seems to have a nice sense of class.

Yes, I am worried that it may be too big, but not too long. I like the look of the CR450, but I don't want to spend the money on or have an actual race tank. I want it to be somewhere between stock and the CR450. I just want it to kind of remind you of the CR450.

now_cr450.jpg

I won't have a fairing (at least I don't think so) and I do plan on shortening the frame rails in the back, but I want the frame to match the seat I build, so I will have to do it in order.

Get the tank I want
Design a seat to compliment the tank
Modify the frame to compliment the seat

I will try to find the length of a cb750f tank and see how much longer it is. The stock cb450 tank goes just past the downtube on the frame (see the front edge of the seat). I would like the tank to go past that, perhaps to that first side cover bracket.

I'll try to remember to measure mine when I get off in the morning. I will say that it is pretty massive.

Just went through the whole thread for the first time... The motor looks SOOO clean! Nice work Nixon!
-Slice

Thanks Slice. It was a lot of painstaking work, but not as much as I expected. I just wish the brushed finish showed up better in my pics so you guys could see it. I think it looks awesome. Since I used a gloss clear over it, it is matte and shiny at the same time.

1978 750 SS tank is 23" front to back. 21" from rear of tank mount to rear of tank. Hope it helps.

CrescentSon said:
1978 750 SS tank is 23" front to back. 21" from rear of tank mount to rear of tank. Hope it helps.

Ha! I was just about to ask if you got around to measuring it. Thanks! I tried to scale it off a pic I found and got 22" so I was close. I'll see how that looks when I stop by my parent's tonight. I would be cutting some knee dents in it so it won't be so wide at the back. Also, I found some pics of one Noel put on a cb550 and it didn't look wacky. I would guess the 550s and 450s would have similar engine/frame sizes.

I got some more work done on applying the brushed finish to the parts. These haven't been cleared yet but I got a new phone so I thought I would take some pics. I'm still working on the rear wheel. I also printed out a full size picture of a cb750f tank and taped it to the bike to see what it would look like. I definitely think it looks more like what I'm after than the cb350f tank. Now I just have to find one that I can afford. I've got some mods in store for the tank that I am going to keep under wraps until Nixon's unveiling. She also got some parts for Christmas including some clipons and a new battery from DCC as well as the tail light and blinkers that are going on the back of the seat when I make it.

Love to look of the brushed al. Did you say how you did that?

Also, I'm pretty sure i said this earlier but I got my 750ss tank a week ago and although I love it, it's mad long, longer than I thought it would be. Just a word...

sxecafe said:
Love to look of the brushed al. Did you say how you did that?

Also, I'm pretty sure i said this earlier but I got my 750ss tank a week ago and although I love it, it's mad long, longer than I thought it would be. Just a word...

I use 320 grit sandpaper and a lot of patience. You just have to always rub it in the same direction to get the brush mark pattern right.

Yes I know the tank will be long, but that's kind of what I want. A CRish tank. Hopefully I'll get one soon. There's one on ebay now, but I'm on the fence about it. May be a bit too rusty.

Looking great Flug. I dig the hell out of raw aluminum, and the tank will be killer as well.

Flügtechnik said:
Yes I know the There's one on ebay now, but I'm on the fence about it. May be a bit too rusty.

Thanks for the tip! And yea, that's the other thing. They are not cheap on ebay.

sXe, Do you have any idea if there is a difference between the different years of the original cb750f tanks (75-78)? It's hard to tell with the pics online as the proportions get messed up. I think I'm going to go for the one on eBay right now. The rust seems mostly on the bottom and it is hard to find old tank with no bondo.

EDIT - I was just reading through your 550 build and saw the tank you were talking about. Yes, that is quite large. I think after I cut the knee dents in, it will fit a bit better. I won't be as big as CCRider's tank! I am looking for a bigger tank as I got horrible range on my old tiny CL450 tank.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure but from what I have read/seen, it doesnt look to be different. Which one are you looking at, the ones in Utah?

No, there is a rusty on in Wisconsin that ends tomorrow.

I also just noticed you have your tank set back a bit. Is that to clear the from tubes on your frame? I only have one frame tube in the center in front of the engine so I'm hoping to keep mine a little further forward. I'll put it as far forward as I can until it just clears the bars at their stops.

Nice builds by the way. I just started reading through them.

Back
Top Bottom