Another build thread? Why the fuck not! KZ650 daily driver build.

Jordan, my vote goes to Kent's for the seat. Keep him in business. He's treated all our bikes really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I think I might have that manual with the hop-up stuff. If I do, I will scan it and post.

Brian

That would be awesome, ive looked over all the forums and still haven't found anything. Most of the stuff in the XS list I found was common stuff but there was a couple nice things in there. Hoping to see a gem

Nice, you beat me to it SRG.

One thing I would add is that if you can come up with a set of 750 barrels you can use them to up the cc's to 810, I think and the 750 cam works well.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Nice, you beat me to it SRG.

One thing I would add is that if you can come up with a set of 750 barrels you can use them to up the cc's to 810, I think and the 750 cam works well.
the 750 cam uses hy-vo style cam chain. but the barrels are a go.

also thanks for the article. good stuff.

doc_rot said:
the 750 cam uses hy-vo style cam chain. but the barrels are a go.

also thanks for the article. good stuff.

What I have read is that the chain is different but the sprocket is bolted to the cam, so you can actually swap the sprockets and run the 750 cam. I hadn't read that about the barrels, that would be crazy, I'll have to jump on the other forums and see if I can find someone who walks through them doing that. So, 750 barrels and pistons on 650 rods with a 650 head and 750 cams in theory? Then run at least 750 carbs is not bigger? I doubt the 650 carbs could handle it

its been a while since i read up on it, i forgot to mention you have to either bore or dremel out the upper case to accept the 750 liners, but other than that plug and play. bunch of good info here> http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=1287.0

doc_rot said:
I had super bike bars on my '78 650 and the kz400/440 clutch cable works good for them. Motion Pro Clutch Cable 03-0005 - 48.5" long with 4" slack, it's a half inch more slack than stock but you can adjust it out. The kz1000D throttle cables work good for both the push and pull but they have a .25" less slack than stock so it's a little tight to get it on but they do work.Motion Pro Throttle Cable 01-0233 - 40" long with 3.75" slack. One of my pet peeves is overly long cables.

Well I got my new stock cables only to find out the ones that were on the bike with the mini apes were also the stock length. So they are all way to long. The clutch cable uses a standard end on the perch so I can likely just shorten the cable there myself. However the throttle are all specialty ends, so im going to have to check length on those 1000 cables and see if they are better. Right now its taking a really bad path in order to take up all the extra and its not as smooth as its needs to be.

That sucks. try a few different ways if you can, I had to do some weird routing when I swapped the bars on my CM from mini apes to super bike I got it to work eventually but it took a few different tries to get smooth operation without binding in turns.

I am using the Motion Pro stock cables with eurobars. I believe I did route them a little differently like you and found a good path without any binding or elbow turns.

SrgtBear said:
I am using the Motion Pro stock cables with eurobars. I believe I did route them a little differently like you and found a good path without any binding or elbow turns.

Right now I have them running behind the headlight (creates a bit of a kink) to the left side of the frame then down through the middle of the frame to the carb. I tried a few ways and that was the best so far. I have to pull the carbs, so when I unhook them i'll play with the routing a little more then.

On the bright side, she does run. It's super rich, and once off choke the idle dips real slow. Need to pull the carbs and check the jets and then sync them up. Now that I know it'll start I can start blowing unnecessary money on it. Use to be able to upload video from tapatalk, looks like that's been removed.

I've been preaching this a lot lately but in addition to the sync using a Gunson Colortune to set the AF mixture made the biggest difference on how she idles. Mixture is now spot on with no dips or anything.

SrgtBear said:
I've been preaching this a lot lately but in addition to the sync using a Gunson Colortune to set the AF mixture made the biggest difference on how she idles. Mixture is now spot on with no dips or anything.

I saw someone talking about that in another thread and had looked into getting one when I was tuning my RD. I might revisit that thought and look into it again.

Back
Top Bottom