Urban warrior CB750 build (It's alive!)

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build (First mock up!)

New picture time! Did a mock up today to get a measurement for the rearset brackets, what a pain that was. Also threw the wheels in there just to get an idea of how it's gonna look. Gonna have to use your imagination on this one, nothing's painted yet, and half of it is bare blasted metal and there's no front end, but, you'll get the jest of it.
Mock up with the wheels and engine in.
HPIM2811.jpg

Showing the rearsets and where they're gonna sit.

HPIM2812.jpg

Looking good man! and i'm really not liking this whole "no chat box" thing..

looking awesome! I think i have decided to keep my 750!

i am also hating the not shout box... what am i suppose to do at work!?

Yeah, the no shout box thing was killin' me, what else am I gonna do at 11 at night? I'm at a standstill right now til I get to work and scrounge some scrap SS to make some rear set brackets out of and get them welded. After that, it's a matter of buying all the crap for the brakes, tires, making the seat, fitting the tank, and all the other crap that goes into putting it together. Oh boy...

Why do you need stainless? You're talking about the rearset mounts / tabs welded to the frame tubes, right? You can use mild steel for that.

Believe it or not, I can get SS for free from work easier than mild steel. Also, our welders can weld pretty much anything to anything, all I gotta do is bring it to 'em, and tell 'em where to put it. They'll call me later on in the day and let me know it's done.

New picture, ummmm, again! Got a bit of painting done today, just so those in the loop get off my ass about being lazy! Ha! Also ordered some parts from vintagecb750.com last night, so when they get here, I'll be posting pics of my Christmas in Feb. Anyway, it's a small photo (crappy cell phone pic) but I got the calipers (red), upper and lower triple (metallic), headlight ears (black), clip-ons (black), front caliper brackets (black), front emblem (metallic), and a couple engine mounts (metallic). Frame is at my shop now, waiting for the rearset mounts to be welded on, first thing Monday morning I was told. Then the frame comes home, and I might get some more work done before we get swamped at work.

Firstbatchofpaintedparts.jpg

my-79-750-k said:
New picture, ummmm, again! Got a bit of painting done today, just so those in the loop get off my ass about being lazy!

Haha, have you seen mine?!? I haven't gotten anything significant done in like 20 days, uhg...

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build (New parts came in!)

Mr. Fed-Ex came by the house today and dropped off a few presents courtesy of VintageCB750.com:
Totally awesome bad-ass motorcycle fridge magnet!

HPIM2831.jpg

Caliper rebuild kits, float bowl gaskets and valve cover bolt seals
HPIM2824.jpg

Brake pads (O' Canada!) oil filter element and Gran Turismo grips (these things are hella cushy)
HPIM2823.jpg

Brand spankin' new caliper pistons
HPIM2822.jpg

Exhaust gaskets and Banjo bolt washers
HPIM2821.jpg

Starter cover gasket
HPIM2818.jpg

So when I finally get time to get something actually done to the bike, I have a bunch of crap to put together, but at least it's all brand new!

That's some awesome stuff you bought there, I've been thinking of buying through that site myself. They have all of the bits needed at one site, and you can't beat that. Gotta save a bundle on shipping, hey? Gonna go for the cover bolt seals, and lots of other stuff from that site. But when I added up a set of everything they sell for my bike it added up to over twelve hundred bucks, so let me just ask this horrible question: Did all of those caliper rebuild parts cost more than buying a decent pair of second hand Nissin four-pots with a can of brake cleaner and some alloy plate with a couple of drill bits and taps? Just askin'.

My own twin pot calipers off my '82 750F came seized up, crusty, etc. But once freed, which is to say once I'd wrecked one piston in a spare rear caliper from my parts bike learning how to remove them? Everything cleaned up nicely with, of all things, "brake cleaner".

I'm sure that it's worth it, getting all of the nice new parts. Your brake system probably works great now that you've done all of that. Assuming it's all put together. I just look at how much it will cost to rebuild all of my brakes and I have to ask myself if there's a way to either do it better for the same outlay, or do it almost as well for a little less wampum. Great stuff, awesome that there is still somebody out there dealing in replacement parts for these bikes. Of course it's got to be a good racket and all but having owned a bike which I could no longer get bits for at one time I am always grateful to know there's somebody out there who's got what is needed and willing to part with it for only one arm and one leg. And yet, this time I'm not doing anything like a restoration, so whatever will work is the new order of the day.

Do please let us all know how the brakes turn out, hey? If you find yourself looking for a set of the slotted brake discs I've got a couple of pairs in good condition that I don't intend to use. Before you go out and spend on a NOS set that is! Ha ha.

There are services for drilling and honing flat old discs, but man are they expensive! Once again, I had to ask myself: Do I want to pay a hundred bucks a disc to resurface and drill my old GL1000 brake discs (wire wheels from which are going on my F by the way) or does it make sense to fit up some floating discs off a CBR or a Ducati or something? Melchiro on the CB1100F.net board has done what have to be the coolest floating brake conversions on comstar wheels that i have ever seen in my life! And it doesn't look, or cost for that matter, like rocket science. Until I hear word that the man has gone to his maker while bravely doing what he loves on his gorgeous track bike, I'm going to follow in Manly Melchiro's path. Because I have to ask myself whether a brand new brake system off a thirty year old bike is anywhere near as good as a ten year old brake system off a ten year old bike...

Anyway, nice bits, thanks for sharing. I'd pay large for one of those fridge magnets too by the way. What with how hard it is to find a cool vintage CB fridge magnet, and believe me I've spent a lot of time looking for just that, well that magnet alone makes it worth even more than the price of all the OEM parts you just bought.

-Sigh.

Well Sigh, I'll try and answer everything here...

All in all, grand total was $220ish USD with free shipping (anything over $150 USD is free shipping.) The caliper rebuild kit was 48$, and it came with all the seals to rebuild BOTH front calipers. On the Epay, calipers go anywhere from $35 up to over $100 for rebuilt ones. My calipers are from an 82 Nighthawk, and were in decent to good shape. A little sandblasting and a good over-the-weekend soak in degreaser and they're good as new. The only reason I bought new pistons (Kinda pricey at $15 each, but I think they're worth it) is because mine, while not totally trashed, did have some pitting right in the middle of the seal area, and I didn't want to take that chance! The only thing for the brakes I didn't get from vintagecb750.com was the rear shoes (I bought them before winter) and the brake lines, for which I'm getting custom SS braided ones made.

That site is easy as hell to navigate, and while they don't have EVERYTHING for old CB's, they do have a lot of the parts that are often the troublemakers on these old bikes, as well as some newer aftermarket tidbits for dressing them up a bit. If you need to find some stock parts, I'd suggest you look into them. They delivered exactly when they said they would and everything was there. I even got a bag of Canadian air with it! (Air filled packing bag) But yeah, they get my vote for customer service and I'll definitely be buying some more stuff from them in the future.

OK, so wife went to girls night out, so homie got to play in the garage... :)

Did a bit of work, rebuilt the calipers with all new seals. Swapped out the oil filter. Oh, and I laid the first coat of paint on the frame... Hehehehehe
HPIM2836.jpg

HPIM2837.jpg

HPIM2838.jpg

And for those wondering, it's out of a rattle can. Dupli-color textured metallic spray. This shit bonds to anything, even without sanding or primer. It's like frickin' super glue with some color thrown in. One coat down, 3 to go, then a coat of Color Effects clear (also Dupli-Color) and the frame will be all nice and shiny and done. Course, it would behoove me to get shit put back together and rebuilt before painting, but the frame doesn't need any more fab work, so I figured it was safe to go ahead and test the color out.

Re: Urban warrior CB750 build (Paint on the frame!)

Tires came in today... Woot!! Pirellis are so f-ing awesome when they're still shiny from the factory. Whole damn garage smells like nice new Italian rubber! Also, the Sport Demons have some of the most aesthetically pleasing treads I've ever seen. Seriously, these things are beautiful! Pics tomorrow. I just got off a 15 hour day and I'm about to get horizontal.

Even the name sounds fast
HPIM2841.jpg

Like I said, these things are frickin' hot... (and that's a 110 front on the left, and a 150 rear on the right ;D )
HPIM2839.jpg

sweet gotta love getting parts. Those tires look nice and sticky. I hope to see your bike when its finished. I'm just down the road if you ever need a hand.

Well, more new parts came in! Fresh, sealed wheel and neck bearings from All Balls. Order to delivery time of about 4 days, I'm getting lucky on all this shipping! I'll be installing these within the next few days, which will hopefully kick off the rebuild phase of my... er... rebuild? That and the fact that road job season is finally coming to an end and I'll be back in the shop working a "normal" work week and have time to put all these shiny new parts on the bike. Seriously, a guy can only work so many 12+ hour days in a row (about 54 as of today), but the entire bike project is now paid for and so are the next 3 vacations :)

Few things were blasted and painted today. I sure am happy my boss likes me and lets me use our glass media blaster for all my personal projects. Couple shots:
Hub, battery box, and oil filter housing (3 coats each)

HPIM2844.jpg

Carb tops, pod ends, and the bracket that goes across the front of them all, as well as holds the throttle cable
HPIM2845.jpg

Another view
HPIM2846.jpg

I'm hoping to take this Friday off and get the tires mounted and first coats of paint on the wheels, as well as paint the shocks and put new oil in the forks. Might even get to put the first coat of clear on the frame if the weather is nice. Keep your eyes peeled for the ultra custom rearset mounting brackets once the paint is done on the frame... LOL

Dude that’s sweet!.. I love fresh paint and I can almost smell that rubber from here..

Looking forward to seeing it all take shape for sure..

Best of luck..

Tdc.

Back
Top Bottom