Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

OK, so it's been quiet on the update front, but not quiet on the actual doing things front. Been learning to weld for the last few weeks, and thanks to a fellow on the SOHC/4 forums I now have a rust-free frame again!

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

Next stage is hardtail (not welded on yet):

IMG_7582.jpg

I've also been polishing and painting various bits and bobs:

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7571.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7570.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

I've dropped the front shocks down, now just waiting on new seals for reassembly. All my goodies from Cycle X came through so the engine is off getting bored and honed etc, should get that back in the next few weeks and I can start reassembling the engine. Hopefully in the meantime I'll get the frame fully welded up and will have a rolling chassis together!

OK, so there has been much progress in the last few weeks, not least of which is getting all the documentation/forms etc filled in with the transport department to get approval to even begin this project.. long story, but they've recently changed the laws here and you now have to apply to do any mods before you actually do them. "Please sir, can I mod my bike?" Anyway, one 12 page submission (and 4 weeks of bureaucracy) later I've got the official go-ahead (dunno what I was going to do if I didn't!). In the meantime to engine has been with the engine guys getting it bored out, honed and the new valves guides installed etc... that's been gone for 5 weeks... hopefully getting it back this week...

So in the meantime, I've been welding!

IMG_7598.jpg

IMG_7611.jpg

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

I figured it best to repair the entire frame (no more Franks Frame Kit - got one spare if anyone needs one?) in case they engineers didn't like it. Give them as little to complain about as possible I think. Rebuilt forks, lowered with new seals etc, tapered steering stem bearings, new brake piston and seals, a bit of paint... viola! Almost looks like a motorcycle...

Tasmania. But I believe the laws were changed here to bring them in line with the rest of Australia.

So we have finally bought a house, so there could be some lull in the bike progress while we renovate, but in the meantime I've been busy!

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

4 copper wine goblets (left over from Isabel), 4 glass map loupes, some paracord and a few LED rings...

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

IMG_7670.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished product. The handlebar and gauge set up looks gorgeous. Did you get those reverse brake/clutch levers or just set them up yourself? I always thought they had a slick look to them.

Alright! So, finally some actual progress! A non-nadgered head (previous head turned out to be cracked) and the bottom cases all back together with new bearings throughout.

IMG_8886.jpg

IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

Things will still be slow going for a while, we're off on our honeymoon in a few weeks, then it's house renos... but I'll keep plugging away at it while I can...

Back
Top Bottom