Ninja 250 Brake on my '75 CB125

nate66

Picked up a Ninja 250 brake on ebay for super cheap. Going to be working on a bracket to adapt it to my Cb125. I know that there has been some people throwing the idea around before, not sure if anyone had accomplished the job.

I'll update my progress. Maybe I can trade one of my machinist buddies a case for some machine time...

Attachments

• IMG_20160203_183505.jpg
    IMG_20160203_183505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
Modeled the bracket. Now to model the caliper, fork tubes and the general wheel shape.

Attachments

• ninja 250 bracket.PNG
    ninja 250 bracket.PNG
    345.3 KB · Views: 203
Hey Nate,

Have you tried using the stock mechanical caliper? Are they just garbage or what?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the same bike, but I haven't touched the caliper yet....

BFT Boyle said:
Hey Nate,

Have you tried using the stock mechanical caliper? Are they just garbage or what?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the same bike, but I haven't touched the caliper yet....

It's stopped working for me last spring. Opened it up and found it was corroded and seized... Bummer

The flexibility of a hydraulic system is pretty nice though. I would have made the switch anyway.

hmm. I wonder if that was a weak point for those calipers which is why they reverted back to the drum brake after 75? Getting moisture/corrosion inside that is....

Best of luck on the caliper swap!

BTW what cad software are you using? I use AutoDesk Pro at work, but I'm looking for a much less expensive program to use at home..

BFT Boyle said:
Hey Nate,

The mechanical calipers are barely functional after some use. Too many weak points in the system. That said, be careful with this caliper on a CB125. That's a very light bike and a pretty capable caliper. Also, I'm not sure, but the CB rotor is probably thicker than the EX unit. Caliper may hang up on it.

VonYinzer said:
The mechanical calipers are barely functional after some use. Too many weak points in the system. That said, be careful with this caliper on a CB125. That's a very light bike and a pretty capable caliper. Also, I'm not sure, but the CB rotor is probably thicker than the EX unit. Caliper may hang up on it.

Good call. I'll be sure to pick an MC carefully. Wouldn't want to go over the bars on the first try...

I mocked up the Ninja caliper on the rotor and the clearance looks good. The bracket will be a bit tricky though.

BFT Boyle said:
hmm. I wonder if that was a weak point for those calipers which is why they reverted back to the drum brake after 75? Getting moisture/corrosion inside that is....

Best of luck on the caliper swap!

BTW what cad software are you using? I use AutoDesk Pro at work, but I'm looking for a much less expensive program to use at home..

Yeah, I'd assume that's why they went back.

I'm still an engineering student so there are all kinds of free student versions out there. As for the lone wolf, your options are somewhat limited. Before I started university I used Sketchup a lot. You might be surprised at what you can get done with that program.

nate66 said:
Yeah, I'd assume that's why they went back.

I'm still an engineering student so there are all kinds of free student versions out there. As for the lone wolf, your options are somewhat limited. Before I started university I used Sketchup a lot. You might be surprised at what you can get done with that program.
I'll have to check out Sketchup. Luckily I can remote desktop from home and use my work computer still.... Anyways, a recommendation if I may. That feature in the upper right corner going from the radius to the sharp angle. That is going to be a bitch to machine unless you add an additional setup on the mill. Add a fillet in that corner and you'll be better off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Same with that other angle to the lower left of it.... Try to keep the same 1/4-1/2" radius throughout so you don't have to change end mills.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom