82 Honda CB900C chop/racer

The Jimbonaut said:
A Timesert is basically a threaded sleeve that is used to repair stripped threads in, say, engine housings. The kits aren't cheap but if you've got a stripped thread then there don't seem to be too many options to repair it other that a Timesert or Helicoil. I'm new to all this but from what I'm told the Timesert does a more secure job. I repaired my stripped thread with the engine in the frame - it's doable but a bit tricky to access, and you also have to be careful to avoid the scarf/metal shavings from falling dropping into the engine housing (I used a lot of heavy grease, and went very, very slowly).

Here's a link to the kit I needed to repair the stripped thread - https://www.amazon.com/Time-Sert-M8x1-25-thread-1812-TIME-SERT/dp/B01MSPN7NH

Not sure about the bolt itself that you'll need but if you can find the specs for it (length/width and thread pitch) I'd be happy to see if my guy has one. Or if you can find out whether or not bolts from different years' engines can be interchanged then let me know.

I've ordered the o-ring twice now, the ones I've received however both seem a little large for the bolt. Not sure if that's how they're supposed to fit - I ended up using two generic o-rings that fit more snug and will see if any oil leaks out.

Let me know if I can help =)
I found one and ordered the o-ring and while digging for a hole punch for something else I came across the bolt that fits it and tried one year later.... still doesn't fit. Dang

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

When measuring hose size, do you figure inside or outside of the hose?

Attachments

• IMG_2432.JPG
    IMG_2432.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 254
Working on the pet cock after finally getting around to it and thought I'd get an additional fuel filter since the massive amount of crud/rust I found

The ID of the hose (inner diameter) is the most critical when finding a match for the fitting on the bike, but the OD is sometimes also important depending on where the hose is going. But for a given ID, the OD of a hose for a specific function (i.e. fuel) isn't going to vary much.

Is this for the fuel lines?

Tim said:
The ID of the hose (inner diameter) is the most critical when finding a match for the fitting on the bike, but the OD is sometimes also important depending on where the hose is going. But for a given ID, the OD of a hose for a specific function (i.e. fuel) isn't going to vary much.

Is this for the fuel lines?
Yes from pet cock to carbs.

Was going to try and find original fuel line, but anyone have any suggestions for a line that they have used for high temps?

Can't go wrong with regular, 1/4" fuel hose from the local auto supply store.

If you're looking for something more stylish, there's always clear fuel line , in a variety of colours (I use blue).

https://fortnine.ca/en/moose-3ft-fuel-line

Just as an example

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I like the look of clear fuel lines but I have heard that they break down much faster than black ones.
I'm sure they do, especially with ethanol fuels. But they look cool and really, with the amount of fiddling, futzing and dumping money into these things that we do, whats a couple extra bucks on fuel hose every 4 or 5 years? Realistically, I used it because it's what was lying around and I didn't have to buy it.

Honda fuel line is 5.5mm for the petcock generally and can still be purchased. Much tighter and better fit than 1/4

Okay, now going to replace rear shocks but the beast is too heavy to pick up to get the center-stand down. Also my bike rear rack won't fit due to shaft driven.

Any thoughts on getting it up to swap out the rear shocks?

Bueller? Looking for suggestions on getting rear shocks replaced without center stand. Any ideas?

1fasgsxr said:
Use momentum to get it on the center stand not strength...
Afraid she'll tip over. Thought I could use my bike table and hoist up the front and chalk up the front wheel if anything.

If you place all your weight on the foot that you have on the lever on the centerstand-you dont use a lot of force to lift bike up on centerstand

Whoa she was heavy. Neighbor and I got it up after I dumped it once.

Yeah -she is a heavy girl.... ;)
But when she is rolling she is a stable bike.
just dont close the throttle quick if you have a hefty lean in a turn.... ;D

furu14 said:
Yeah -she is a heavy girl.... ;)
But when she is rolling she is a stable bike.
just dont close the throttle quick if you have a hefty lean in a turn.... ;D

Lol. +1! Ask me how I know this...

Alright folks, due to just me wanting to get rid of the air suspension rear shocks and replace with updated coil shocks......

How to I remove them? I figure there is oil and air inside. How do I remove them without making a mess and spraying everywhere? (Perhaps I tried and already did then quickly retightened to stop oil from spewing all over the garage)

Back
Top Bottom