KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero

Left hand corner, picture within a picture within a picture.....

Got a bunch of stuff ordered ... for real.

Exhaust crush gaskets, shock mount bolts, brake fitting crush washers, ignition switch, guage mount rubber and a few other things showed up. Still waiting on a few more things.

I haven't been able to decide on a head light yet though. Not a standard 7", I'm still open otherwise.

What are you doing for the tail/seat? i think that will dictate what kind of headlight you go for

doc_rot said:
What are you doing for the tail/seat? i think that will dictate what kind of headlight you go for

I hadn't really thought about it that way but yeah, I'm still futzing around with seat ideas too.

I got the chain slider done this weekend after Mrs and I did way too much yardwork prepping for the garden.

This delrin is some tough stuff, roughing it out with caveman tools took longer than expected but the results are good.

Thanks for the idea Doc.

Attachments

• chainslide2.jpg
    chainslide2.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 342
  • chainslide1.jpg
    chainslide1.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 355
nice work. too bad you didnt get to turn it, it is a joy to cut on the lathe

Thanks guys.
About the lathe, I've been talking to more experienced brains and I decided not to try and restore the old motor mount system and just go with a good variable frequency drive setup. I've ordered a few things, need a few more. I've ordered parts to build a tach setup and next is sourcing a good 3 phase motor. I have the VFD picked out and will order that this week. I still need tooling, quick change post, etc...

Between bike parts for my chopper, ZRX, this KZ, and this lathe, and the big new garden, my resources are getting stretched. The springs for the KZ came yesterday even though I ordered them same day as the springs for the ZRX. Brake seals are in but only two. I need to catch a break.

It blows my mind how expensive tooling is, so I feel your pain there. i have been getting lucky with tool "lots" on ebay. I got a bunch of carbide end mills on there for $20 the other day.

Forks are still giving me problems on disassembly. Those lower allen bolts! I tried loosening the bolts out before removing the spring caps, no dice. I've been trying the pointy broomhandle trick, no dice. Lots of pb blaster in there and I've been trying heat too. One of them loosened up a bit and I can't get it any further. Major issue is that the broomhandle just doesn't get enough grab in the round hole down in the fork cylinder. These are the round holes, not the easier hexagonal ones. I don't want to have to buy that damn special holder tool unless it's really necessary. I'll get it, this is just a rant. Unless there is a trick I haven't found?

redwillissuperman said:
Impact driver like a Dewalt 20V XR.

Yeah, my little 12v dewalt impact isn't doing it. May need to find something bigger but I don't wanna strongarm this thing too hard.

[edit] I'm borrowing dads' 1/2" air impact tomorrow.

Dude, I did the broom handle trick, then put a 200 psi impact to mine and stripped one of the bolts. I had to have a machine shop drill it out. You might drill it out yourself, if you feel brave.

I couldn't believe that bolt was so tight. That drilling cost me an astronomical amount...machine work ain't cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did you carve the broom stick round? I like to think i have this shit down to a science ::) I taper the broom stick as much as possible and leave the sides square then add tiny grooves in the corners like a broach, but not too many or very deep. Then spray a crap load of brake cleaner down the fork to get the rod a clean as possible, gently tap the broomstick in until you feel it bind. do not let the fork go horizontal or all that crap will wash back and loosen the bite. i have never not gotten a set of kz forks apart like that

Take a large diameter dowel (or a broom stick with the end cut off) and place it in the fork tube. Secure the leg in a vice. Take a ratchet strap and wrap it up over the protruding end of the dowel. Crank it down. Place your driver bit onto the bolt and using a metal hammer, give it a few good metal to metal to metal raps. Then place your dewalt (use only a 20V XR brushless) and reverse it out.

Thanks for the inputs guys. The "fancy" diesel, impact driver, and my new tool worked like a charm. Broomstick just wasn't doing it so I tapered the end of some metal rod and it a tap or two held it nicely.

Attachments

• fork_tools.jpg
    fork_tools.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 348
  • fork_tools3.jpg
    fork_tools3.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 458
Rigged up a quick and cheesy metal brake and made an electrical pan. Just fitting it, seems to be a good size.

Attachments

• brakebend.jpg
    brakebend.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 346
  • elecpan.jpg
    elecpan.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 341
Back
Top Bottom