"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Oh I do love well engineered pieces ! 8)

Thanx to Fastec Engineering here in the UK I have a bespoke fork brace for the project - and it was the same price as a Tarrozi unit.... that didn't fit ! And they made and delivered it in a week. ;D

Attachments

• fork brace 001.jpg
    fork brace 001.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 184
  • fork brace 002.jpg
    fork brace 002.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 170
Thanx guys, after 2 false starts with a Tarrozi brace and another unamed model, I was lucky to find these guys when I was looking for parts for the car projects !

I have to say - the pix don't really do it justice. Superb craftsmanship. Another major lump ticked off. 8)

Just had a panic call from my pal [ bike in his garage ] to say there was play in the headstock - even after he had snugged the bearings down via the C spanner nut on the top yoke.

Turns out he'd trial assembled the steering dampener before pulling the bearings down - and that wasn't allowing the bearings to seat properly ! Panic over.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

beachcomber said:
Just had a panic call from my pal [ bike in his garage ] to say there was play in the headstock - even after he had snugged the bearings down via the C spanner nut on the top yoke.

Turns out he'd trial assembled the steering dampener before pulling the bearings down - and that wasn't allowing the bearings to seat properly ! Panic over.
Have to have these little starts to keep the blood pressure up.

pidjones said:
Have to have these little starts to keep the blood pressure up.

All fixed now. We had to modify the C spanner [ RAM shox ] as the "correct" one was £18 !!! REALLY ???

Bearings nicely snugged and all play eliminated. However, he did manage to mangle the bottom steering dampener anchor plate in the process ! Just elongated the mounting hole - so it's weld a washer time. Fortunately - can't be seen. Once that's done the front end is on - FOR GOOD.

Forgot to mention - one of my spare heads is going off for twin plugging. The first one I had done has got 14mm plugs in the centre position. I want to go with 10mm, like we used on our old Triumph heads. Anyone want a twin plug head ?

Fuel filler system has been finalised and pre-fitted - all except the bottom delivery into the fuel cell as the cell / belly pan are being finalised off the bike. Hope to get that fitted later today, then the fuel filling system is finished.

The mountings for the seat have also been designed and will be made over the weekend. The rear mount for the "tank" has also been mocked up - just need to work out how we are going to finish the Manx style tank strap as it's cosmetic only.

Next job once the seat and "tank" are secured is to find out where the footpegs need to be and mock up some mounts.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2486.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2486.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_IMG_3168.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3168.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 381
  • thumbnail_IMG_3169.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3169.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 389
pidjones said:
I think that I missed this - Ar you using a small electric pump to delver fro the tank?

Two in fact. Facet pumps - one for the Weber, one for the NOS fuel solenoids. I also have a really neat fuel pressure adjuster courtesy of Chinabay - £12.00 !

After I came home today, my pal Brian carried on to refit the belly pan / fuel cell so that he could get all the various alloy tubes / silicone hoses in the correct positions. Just need to sort out cushion clamps or whatever to position the fuel downtube alongside the frame rail.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 163
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 158
  • stainless hosing kit.jpg
    stainless hosing kit.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 524
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 523
There's a bit of weirdness with my front forks. Ever since I had the bike there's been doubt [ by KZ owners ] about my front wheel and forks being non standard. Perfect fit and everything worked OK.

However - the top of the fork leg is definitely different as it's 60mm dia, and all the KZ owners say theirs are 55mm !

Yes you guessed it - my new fork brace won't fit !!! :mad: Well it will, once they have been opened out to 60mm. ::) ::)

Fortunately that's all that's needed. My local machine shop guy will do that for me next week.

I suppose the bonus is that I have effectively got "heavy duty" forks. ;)

Another productive day. All the mounting brackets have now been made and glassed in to the seat base. There will be a final layer of cosmetic matt to tidy it all up before it's painted. Brackets made to attach the Manx "tank" and we've made patterns for miscellaneous brackets and mounts. Also worked out how we're going to fit the Manx tank strap - cosmetic only. All the relevant clips and mounts for the fuel filler system were mocked up and work fine.

Some of the electronic squitter will go in the seat hump, which gives us more room under the tank cover.

Also measured up for the bobbins for the paddock stand ..... oh, didn't I mention the paddock stand !!!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3229.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3229.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 576
  • thumbnail_IMG_3230.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3230.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 580
  • thumbnail_IMG_3228.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3228.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 636
The new fork brace is being modified to fit my fork legs.

The same guy is making the bobbins for my new paddock stand. They will mount through the lower shox brackets.

He also says that if my welder [?? ] guy is still messing me around ::) ::) [ headers ] he will plasma weld them for me.

Moving along quickly now.

Brodie said:
Moving along quickly now.

Yes Brodie, most of the major jobs / planning have been done now. And more to the point the outsource jobs are nearly all completed.

Not very happy at waiting 4 months to get headers welded [ still waiting ]! That is now holding up the final mock up of carb, NOS, electrics etc., etc.

The guy who does my machining says he will do the welding if I still get messed around. He would have done it in the first place, but his welder was being repaired at the time. He is a biker and very sympathetic to doing my odd P.I.T.A. jobs !

The seat and "tank" mounting brackets have been glassed in now and just waiting for some more mat to arrive to put the cosmetic layer on.

All the clips, brackets and "P" clamps have arrived to complete the routing of the fuel filler and pipe. When the seat is finished that can be laid in place and the fuel delivery system mocked up. The belly pan / fuel cell is almost completed and then once checked out will be prepped for paint.

Yep. It is a pain when something holds up the rest. Did you decide on a final paint scheme?

Brodie said:
Yep. It is a pain when something holds up the rest. Did you decide on a final paint scheme?

Paint still a headache. If I can find the "right" silver I'll probably go with a traditional Silver / pinstripe job. I had thought maybe Red for the tank / seat / belly pan, broken up with Satin Black stripes down the centre of the tank seat and Black double pinstripes on the tank - a la Manx. Maybe too much Red. Especially if I do go with the half fairing [still undecided ]. A couple of "maybe" Silvers have been suggested to me with a metallic content. I'll get some 1/4 litre pots to try out. Plenty of time yet !!

Another good week. Front "tank" brackets mocked up ready to be glassed in, rear mounts made and fitted giving us extra living space for some of the electrics.

Seat now mocked up with front / side panels CAD [ .... cardboard aided design ]. We're looking at integrating the race number plate - looking for an oval template - the round one isn't right.Once all that's attached properly I'll have a sit on and check where the rearsets need to be.

FORK BRACE IS COMPLETED - COLLECTING TOMORROW OR MONDAY. Bobbins for paddock stand also completed.

Once the seat / tank is attached I'll look at the half fairing .... still unsure.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3250.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3250.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 423
  • thumbnail_IMG_3252.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3252.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 428
  • thumbnail_IMG_3254.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3254.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 425
Back
Top Bottom