From cruiser to cafe

56nomad

Hi DTTers, My first post.

I've only been back into bikes for about 3 yrs now after many years on the UK hot-rod/custom car scene (hence my '56nomad' moniker). My first recent purchase was a red '79 XS650 SE, sight unseen, off Ebay that needs so much doing to it that I ended up buying a second one - off Ebay, sight unseen again! I never intended to keep either of them standard (stock is not my thang) so, having always lusted after a mate's Triton back in the '70s, I decided to go the cafe racer route. Not hardcore cafe so, tell you what, let's call what I've produced a Latte Chaser for now.....

I've tried to keep to the premise of an original UK cafe racer. Y'know, the sort of thing a youth may have done to his Beezer, Trumpet or whatever back in the day. Where possible, I've done it myself and as economically as possible so there's very little brand new stuff on it. For most of the time (except over Winter) the bike was kept roadworthy and all work was undertaken outside.

I started off with a US import '81 XS650 SH that I picked up for a few hundred quid. One of the pics shows it on the day it was delivered to me. Fairly corroded but nigh on complete, it had been stored in a lock up over here in Blighty for over 10 years.

After getting it running and stopping, next up was to undo as many of the PO's bodges as possible, tart it up a little, get it through an MOT roadworthyness test and hit the road. With that milestone reached I took the now clean and tidy (read '10 yarder') bog stock SH and set about disguising it's origins.

I'll not bore you with a blow-by-blow account of how I did what, when and why, what I tried and discarded but simply list what forms the bike you see in the pics. Starting from the front:

- Pirelli Strada 3.25 x 19
- Green compound brake pads
- Rebuilt forks with Minton mods and gaiters
- Sports mudguard
- T140 Lucas "Prince of Darkness" headlight and peak
- Stainless headlight brackets
- Chromed alloy mini indicators
- 2" Clubman handlebars with dual-compound kevlar grips
- Honda(?) master cylinder
- 1 3/8" id header pipes with Dunstall style reverse cone megas
- Cut, shut, sectioned 'n' cowled SH seat and foam with reconstructed XS1 cover
- 1994 Kawasaki GPz500S CVK34 carbs hybridised with PWK needles
- Pipercross foam filters
- Not-so-rearset modified 1980s Yamsel 'rearset' pegs and levers on home-brewed brackets
- Hagon rear shocks
- Lucas tail-light on home-brewed bracket
- Bridgestone BT45 130/90 x 16

One thing I kept to rigidly is that I have not cut off one surplus bracket, etc. and I've kept all parts that I removed so that, if I feel like it, I can return it back to standard. It wouldn't look pretty and I doubt if I ever would want to but the option is there all the same.

And that's it. It's still a '10 yard' bike but I'm happy.

Tara for now...

Also posted on the UK forum

Attachments

• ebay xs650 arrives.jpg
    ebay xs650 arrives.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 2014-05-30 13.52.11.jpg
    2014-05-30 13.52.11.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 253
  • 2014-05-30 13.50.41.jpg
    2014-05-30 13.50.41.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 255
  • 2014-05-30 13.51.05.jpg
    2014-05-30 13.51.05.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 318
  • 2014-05-30 13.51.42.jpg
    2014-05-30 13.51.42.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 290
Nice job! Only suggestion I would have is to lower your headlight and gauges a few inches. Looks awesome. :)

DesertKZ said:
Only suggestion I would have is to lower your headlight and gauges a few inches.

Funny you should say that. I previously had 4 inch drop clubman bars fitted and had dropped the gauges and headlamp to suit. Gotta say that it looked ace but the bars really killed my wrists. When I changed to the 2 inch bars the gauges got in the way of everything so I had to raise them. They then looked odd stuck up there on their own so up came the headlight too. Shame - but at least I can ride it further now!

Yeah man, that's nice! I would've taken it further and really stripped it down. Lean, mean, and clean - no filler! Ha! I'm doing a cruiser to cafe thang as we speak. Virago to cafe to be exact. It's been a challenge, but it is nearing completion. :)

Back
Top Bottom