Bad noise after rebuild

Look here: See that caged needle bearing, that can get toasted from the chatter, mine has the same ruts in the needles and feels notchy on the shaft. that pile is on eBay::

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-650-NIGHTHAWK-CB650-SC-CB650SC-Used-Engine-Starter-Clutch-1984-HB48-/111553214260?hash=item19f916f734:g:F7cAAOSwMKpUZqPb&vxp=mtr

Tune-A-Fish said:
Look here: See that caged needle bearing, that can get toasted from the chatter, mine has the same ruts in the needles and feels notchy on the shaft. that pile is on eBay::

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-650-NIGHTHAWK-CB650-SC-CB650SC-Used-Engine-Starter-Clutch-1984-HB48-/111553214260?hash=item19f916f734:g:F7cAAOSwMKpUZqPb&vxp=mtr

Here are some pictures of mine, i can't feel any chatter on any see face and the bearing looks great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    849.2 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913 KB · Views: 210
Yep looks good! hows the surface where the rollers grab? If everything looks good put it all back together clean then use a squrt bottle to saturate it with some oil, same as you will use in the motor 10/40 likely no synthetic at least until you get it going good, I like Valvoline 10/40 neat, clutches work good with it it seems, but i guess that's a whole nuther can of worms, so use what you use.

Second thought... with all the frustration... I would cut my losses and buy that pile off eBay, you will have all parts that were working together before... smaller risk of loosing more time and gaskets.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Second thought... with all the frustration... I would cut my losses and buy that pile off eBay, you will have all parts that were working together before... smaller risk of loosing more time and gaskets.

At this point the job is so easy to me I don't care.

I polished up the gear face and the place the rollers rub and threw it together last night.
Guess what now works!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 210
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    971.7 KB · Views: 220
Rock n Roll!

Sometimes we just need to go the extra mile and over think how these things work, glad you got it sorted :eek:

Seriously, thank you guys for the help.

:(
Tune-A-Fish said:
Rock n Roll!

Sometimes we just need to go the extra mile and over think how these things work, glad you got it sorted :eek:

Now to find the oil leak and tune!

Well here I am broke down in a bad neighborhood.........started loosing power at 6k then down to 4K. I went to flip a u to get home and she died.......leaking oil like crazy not really sure we're from either.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 216
Guess that bad noise was something else then.. sure it does not say triumph or matchless or something like that on the covers?
Hopefully nothing too serious.

Yeah may have been a bad idea to ride it before finding the oil leak, but the starter clutch was the issue at hand.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yeah may have been a bad idea to ride it before finding the oil leak, but the starter clutch was the issue at hand.

Well I thought it was crazy, but the leak didn't even register on the dip stick so Not as bad as I thought. I will pull plugs today and see what's going on.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Hope it's just crap from the tank in the carbs

Man me too, but I cleaned the tank and installed a new filter/petcock and rebuilt the carbs... It would dump smoke out the tail pipe on deceleration

Bad oil leak is not a nice place to be. When you get a chance, pull the sump and check what's left of the oil to see a/ if there is any left and b/ if it's all sparkly. If there's lots of clean oil, it may just be crap in teh fuel supply or a battery on teh way out, but if there's no oil, things might be more serious. Don't panic yet. Just take your time to see what's wrong and work through it.

teazer said:
Bad oil leak is not a nice place to be. When you get a chance, pull the sump and check what's left of the oil to see a/ if there is any left and b/ if it's all sparkly. If there's lots of clean oil, it may just be crap in teh fuel supply or a battery on teh way out, but if there's no oil, things might be more serious. Don't panic yet. Just take your time to see what's wrong and work through it.

Gave the dip stick a look while on center stand and the oil level looked perfectly fine. I suppose it could've been over filled I had the oil out so many times trying to fix that starter clutch that I can't really say. I topped it off with some oil but didn't measure. Also ran the dip stick oil on my hand looked good, felt good, smelled good (my father was with me and he agrees oil is still in good shape) motor turns over. It was hot when I went out riding (103 degrees) and I was riding someone hard for piston break in. The bike seemed really hot like side covers would sizzle with water dropped on them. I am running a tank filter and a inline filter as well so I can't imagine anything getting past those and the battery is brand new for the rebuild....on a side note, I pinched the white wire on the stator cover, I soldered it back together could this cause any issues with charging?...once I get home i will pull plugs and take pictures I have fully rebuilt the top end and bored the jugs to 61mm for new pistons and rings and replaced all gaskets and orings. I will also adjust the valves as I bet they are starting to finally seat with the hard rides. Anyone have anything else I should check while I'm at it? I will post up pictures and finding this evening.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Vent tube from head? Just running it down.

Nope, I made a custom vent tube out of home brew supplies that runs to the back of the bike right above the chain. I will check it when I get home and see if there was / is any oil through it as that would be useful information.

I see drips under the chain cover... the grommet the wires run through from the stator has a tenancy to leak when replaced used (no NOS I can find) I used gasket shellac on mine to stop a drool.

20539.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
I see drips under the chain cover... the grommet the wires run through from the stator has a tenancy to leak when replaced used (no NOS I can find) I used gasket shellac on mine to stop a drool.

20539.jpg

I'm a little lost here, the stator doesn't even have a grommet, if I remember correctly some models had oil in their stators but I don't believe this one does (first year without IIRC)

Back
Top Bottom