Not building anything, but need your help

k98shooter

I think I am posting first time.. Although I am a long time reader. I know you folks build stuff and can think out of box, so I thought help me. Anyhow, I am trying to bring back to life Triumph Tiger (2012) that was salvaged by insurance company. My 2 previous motorcycles, both R1200RT and R1200GS came from same auction, so I felt confident. The tiger issues turned to be more than just a minor stuff; I am still sorting out what needs to be done, but at this pint all I want to start the engine. I know, I should have posted this on triumph forums and I did, but not much help there.
The bike is apparently recovered theft. The ignition was broken and the headstock bracket is bent, probably in attempt to release lock. So here is my question: If I cut off the headstock tab, what will I lose other that steering lock? Would it undermine safety or performance in any way? Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 170
Like you've alluded to, all you will lose with cutting off that bracket is the steering lock - the steering stops are on the bottom clamp and there is no danger in relation to structural integrity (as long as the top clamp hasn't been damaged in the theft attempt).

Replacing the ignition switch might be problematic though - most modern ignitions have the switches matched to the ECU's so you can't just throw any switch on there and expect it to fire up.

I'm not an expert on modern Triumphs though, so they may be different from the Jap bikes in this regard, but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom