GPS stuff

vandito.cb

Been Around the Block
what kind of GPS' are you guys using? i don't do touring, not yet at least, but my bike is my main only method of transportation so i figured i might as well invest in one.

a mix between price friendly (although what's price friendly to some is completely not for others) say... less than $150, easy to read, not bulky, etc.

i've never owned a GPS even in my past cars so I'm not sure what to expect from one these days with technology being what it is.

ive occasionally used rather outdated ones and found them to be more of a hassle/paperweight than something remotely dependable.

pictures of your setups would be nice too.

I use Google Maps on my phone but usually just in the car/truck. When riding its just for pleasure can only hope to get lost.

the last time i used Google maps on my phone was on my way to a local dealer for grips.

wound up driving 11 miles to somewhere 5 miles away because it refreshes my position as it pleases.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Get a Ram Mount X Grip, use your phone. Wire a USB port in to a wire in the headlight bucket that is only hot with the ignition on.

phpNn52dM_zps6xqnpdhk.jpg

J-Rod10 said:
Get a Ram Mount X Grip, use your phone. Wire a USB port in to a wire in the headlight bucket that is only hot with the ignition on.

i have plans to do exactly that as far as a USB port goes.

i should have clarified in the post that my phone is not an option. in fact, along with the problem I mentioned in my last reply, i'm having difficulty even seeing what I'm doing right now because the screen is too dim for outside except night time.

my phone fucking sucks

Ram Mount makes GPS X-Grips as well, if you have to go that route. Best mounting system on the market, IMO.

Many a person has been 150+mph without a dropped device.

Ram makes nice model-specific GPS mounts, too, if you're not into the whole universal thing. I have one for the (ancient) TomTom XL340 I use on my bikes.

I drive for a living. No onboard digital systems here.
I'll check a map (usually Google maps) before the trip and make notes. For example, "Lft on Hwy 123, (20mi) Rt on Hwy 321, (50mi) Rt on I-20...".
Hasn't failed me yet. And that way I'm free to keep my eyes on the road, instead of staring at a screen pretending I'm playing Mario Kart.

Redbird said:
I drive for a living. No onboard digital systems here.
I'll check a map (usually Google maps) before the trip and make notes. For example, "Lft on Hwy 123, (20mi) Rt on Hwy 321, (50mi) Rt on I-20...".
Hasn't failed me yet. And that way I'm free to keep my eyes on the road, instead of staring at a screen pretending I'm playing Mario Kart.

that's usually what i do unless it involves a million turns, but if it does and/or you make one wrong toast, it's back to square one.

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_203304.jpg
    IMG_20160420_203304.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 587
somehow, i have the feeling that there are a pack of marlboro red just slightly outside of this pic.

vandito.cb said:
that's usually what i do unless it involves a million turns, but if it does and/or you make one wrong toast, it's back to square one.
Eh, you get used to it I guess ;)

Here's a buddies Analog "Heads Up" GPS rig...
3770561866_a4bfed8e7a_b.jpg

That was taken a few years ago when he rode that little Trail70 from southern Louisiana all the way to Sturgis. Dude's got balls that Clank :p

Redbird said:
Here's a buddies Analog "Heads Up" GPS rig...

That guy rules.

These days, a GPS like mine can be had for $20 used on eBay. They make riding a lot more fun, especially if you have a small bike and are trying to keep it on roads consistent with its displacement; I've maxed out my unit's 48-waypoint-per-route limitation on many rides on my 100, though when I go out on my 1100 I usually leave it at home.

Garmin makes one for bikes I'd like to have but man they aren't cheap.
I take my Garmin nuvi in the car and pickup a lot of the time and really like it.

pterodactyl said:
Garmin makes one for bikes I'd like to have but man they aren't cheap.
I take my Garmin nuvi in the car and pickup a lot of the time and really like it.
It's like $600. Waterproof, but $600.

I'll stick to my phone. It's waterproof too.

I rubber-band an upside-down ziploc over my TomTom. It works surprisingly well so long as you're not doing miles of freeway or can tuck it behind a windscreen.

J-Rod10 said:
It's like $600. Waterproof, but $600.

I'll stick to my phone. It's waterproof too.
Yea no doubt.
I'll be needing something for the 650
It'll have to be something that can handle some vibration though.

pterodactyl said:
Yea no doubt.
I'll be needing something for the 650
It'll have to be something that can handle some vibration though.
The Ram Mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom