CB 360 no label parts build!

The Pamco hasn't been very reliable on 360's, don't know if there is any way to make it take the extra heat on 360 head? I don't think anyone has managed to keep one 'alive' for too long? It's a damn shame as the ignition has proven reliable on the inline 4's and the older twins. I think maybe the only way for it to work will be have trigger unit on head and all the electronics in a cooler location.
Oh, and for the advancers, there is a semi-circle cut out one one of the spring pockets or edge which kinda lines up with 'dot' on points cam, plus, two different lengths

crazypj said:
Oh, and for the advancers, there is a semi-circle cut out one one of the spring pockets or edge which kinda lines up with 'dot' on points cam, plus, two different lengths

What good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

interestingly enough all I can find online are pictures of the 312 advancers, not the 369 like Stayrad and I both have. weird

CB 360 no label parts build!

Been on vacation for a week but when I got back this sweet skateboard rack was ready from kickstart garage

Attachments

• IMG_2761.JPG
    IMG_2761.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
Stayrad said:
Been on vacation for a week but when I got back this sweet skateboard rack was ready from kickstart garage

So I have put 700 kilometers on this bike now. As summer rolls in I’ve noticed that 30min in to a ride it starts to act rich (I think). I think because it runs perfect for the first bit. My work is 10 minutes away and it won’t act up in the commute. I only notice it on long backroad rides.

It will idle fine but as it pulls through the rpm it jumps.

Never backfired

I have been changing the main jet down in an attempt To solve this but the problem is still there. I started at a 170 main and am now at a 145 and the prob is the same

Any advice?

Coils? I would think it wouldn’t idle well

Too rich? Shouldn’t I see some improvement moving from a 170 to a 145 main

Too lean? Wouldn’t it run worse before it warmed up then get better

Fuel flow? Wouldn’t it get better after I let it idle a bit and refill the bowls

It runs perfect for the first 10 min the slowly gets worse over 30 min

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about those particular carbs.

However, When cool the atomized fuel will re-condence to liquid droplets...this "simulates" a lean condition.
(the reason for the choke to start cold). It richens the cold air/fuel mix to overcome this condition.

Once the engine fully warms to operating temps. The fuel is better atomized thus "richening" the air/fuel mix. (the reason it runs like crap w choke on and fully warmed)

So if your carbs are jetted to run a little rich...it will only get worse as the engine warms up. (it will take a rich running engine longer to warm up than if it were lean). Air cooled engines need to idle a little bit rich, this is what keeps them from overheating during extended idling periods. (ex, waiting for a train to go by at RR crossing) Only adjust air/fuel mix w the engine fully warmed to operating temp, never cold.

I would try going leaner, myself.

Something else...

If your fuel line is close to or touching the engine. It can cause the fuel to boil.

If you have an inline filter fitted you may notice a bubble form inside the filter, impeding flow.

FYI, those big ole Firestones are probably cutting your mpg in half. Not to mention robbing the engines performance.

Hows the clutch discs/plates and springs?

Hey thank you, really good advice. tomorrow I'll try going to a 140 main which is the smallest I have. Then I will try adjusting the needle down. I'll also check for boiling.

As for the tires I know I know . . . they were free from a friend who took them off his bike because he hated them ha. I need some replenish time before I can spend money on new ones. \

I also plan to have PJ modify some original carbs for this bike but again waiting on the cash flow to replenish.

I am only noticing the issue now because I am taking it on longer rides. The problem didn't show up in my short around town runs

The clutch and springs are good so far.

What size pilot jet are you running? Have you checked float level?If your running 30mm Mikuni's with plastic floats in bowl, try 25mm instead of stock 24mm, (carb fully inverted)

crazypj said:
....................except for Mikuni's on 360's ;D

Hey! I resemble that remark! :eek: I will make these VM28 work. I promise. Though, I'm sitting on a stock pair you modded just in case. LOL

26mm are the easiest toi get working on a 350/360, then 28mm. As they get bigger the air speed drops and they get more difficult to tune properly. It's possible but not easy and you will always have some 'problem' artea's/rpm

Pj I’m currently running a 40 pilot and a 145 main. I’m about to head out to garage to test lowering the needle then lowering the main.

I’m just using the floats that came with the vm30s. Not sure what size that is.

I’ll post the results soon hopefully.

crazypj said:
26mm are the easiest toi get working on a 350/360, then 28mm. As they get bigger the air speed drops and they get more difficult to tune properly. It's possible but not easy and you will always have some 'problem' artea's/rpm
I already went to the stock carbs. HAHA. I don't have enough jets to mess with those Mikunis.

So I lowered the need to the leanest setting and went on an hr ride. It’s slightly better. Tomorrow I’ll go to the 140 main which is 5 down. I “think” I’m getting closer.

I kind of stumbled on this seat mounting option and it is working perfectly. Easy for a novice. It does help that I have slanted hoop in the tail. Everything is tight and easily removable to access electronics.

I cut two holes in the fiberglass and ran a super thick zip tie through it and around the bar. This is acting as a hinge of sorts.

The other side is the same except using a strong velcro tie.

For the awesome fabricators out there I’m not expecting any respect but for the guys looking for a simple seat mounting option maybe this will work for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2862.JPG
    IMG_2862.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 242
Stayrad said:
So I lowered the need to the leanest setting and went on an hr ride. It’s slightly better. Tomorrow I’ll go to the 140 main which is 5 down. I “think” I’m getting closer.

Carb issues resolved!!!!!! It was the ELECTRONIC IGNITION all along. After banging my head against the wall today I thought hmm what if the ignition was getting too hot and acting up? So I took the cover and went for a two hour ride with zero issues. Did a plug check and I’m settled on jet sizes.

145 main
40 pilot
Needle on leanest setting. (Lowest)
Pods (not Chinese)
Baffled with four extra drilled holes

The Charlie’s place ignition has been the source of every issue I’ve had on this bike. Ironically I bought it thinking it would simplify things.

My buddy that’s helping me with my fork brace is going to make me a vented ignition cover.

Sheesh.

New tires and I’m taking a a trip to the coast....with a tool bag

Stayrad said:
Carb issues resolved!!!!!! It was the ELECTRONIC IGNITION all along. After banging my head against the wall today I thought hmm what if the ignition was getting too hot and acting up? So I took the cover and went for a two hour ride with zero issues. Did a plug check and I’m settled on jet sizes.

145 main
40 pilot
Needle on leanest setting. (Lowest)
Pods (not Chinese)
Baffled with four extra drilled holes

The Charlie’s place ignition has been the source of every issue I’ve had on this bike. Ironically I bought it thinking it would simplify things.

My buddy that’s helping me with my fork brace is going to make me a vented ignition cover.

Sheesh.

New tires and I’m taking a a trip to the coast....with a tool bag

Ps. It’s definitely overheating ignition and not a wire touching the cover. ..checked for that.

hey some friends and I are taking our Cafe bikes to the Original Mel's Diner in Auburn on the 18th (that's a thursday) where there is a big vintage bike meet happening - I hope I will be able to go on my bike as I'm still sorting out carbs on it

MiniatureNinja said:
hey some friends and I are taking our Cafe bikes to the Original Mel's Diner in Auburn on the 18th (that's a thursday) where there is a big vintage bike meet happening - I hope I will be able to go on my bike as I'm still sorting out carbs on it
Hey that sounds awesome I would totally be there but I’m booked to camp at Yosemite that week. I leave on the 18th. Im almost always good for a ride on a Friday all day or Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom