Just How Much Tank Rust Can You Actually Remove?

cjdisaffected

Eyeing out a tank that's got some pretty serious rust inside, and I am not sure whether it's really good for anything other than a paperweight. Thoughts?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 334
To answer your question... All of it. Won't KNOW if there's useable metal underneath until it's clean.

This reminds me of the time my uncle randy and i let 13 japanese exchange student girls jump into the back of a limo we were driving so they could take pictures one day. Whenever I ask him, how many japanese girls can we fit in the back of a limo uncle randy, the answer is "All of em"

Right so, no such thing as too much rust to remove, but I might remove the whole tank. i.e. I have no way of knowing whether the tank is worthless until it's too late. Also, Japanese girls hopping around in the back of a limo, thanks for the mental picture.

Not necessarily. Feel around the tank, particularly around the bottom where liquid settles, if you can push in spots by hand, I wouldn't mess with it.

CJDisaffected said:
I can't put hands on the tank J-Rod.
Are you saying you haven't bought the tank, yet? If so, the answer is none of it. You don't know anything until you get the tank. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you think you have a salvageable tank to only find pinhole leaks. Sometimes you get a tank that looks like it sat underwater for 30 years and it comes out clean and perfect. Sometimes you get a tank that's been wrecked and brazed and bondo'ed and is hardly worth it's weight in scrap.

I used Metal Rescue and it worked really well. I bought more and have been cleaning all my parts with it

The tank was rotated with a few gallons inside over 24hr period. The underside of the tank was submerged for around 12hrs. As you can see the outside paint wasn't damaged at all(only the rusty areas pulled the rust up and lifted the paint off)

The exhaust rings were only soaked for a few hours in metal rescue that had already been used. It lasts for 1 year after opened and you can strain it with coffee filters or a cheese cloth to remove debris.

Good luck everyone and try this stuff out!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    854.7 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 320
Wow, I will for sure have to get some of that! Very impressive pictures.

82 Honda CB900C is my first attempt of a bike upgrade

DohcBikes said:
This reminds me of the time my uncle randy and i let 13 japanese exchange student girls jump into the back of a limo we were driving so they could take pictures one day. Whenever I ask him, how many japanese girls can we fit in the back of a limo uncle randy, the answer is "All of em"
You win the Internet.

Another vote for Metal Restore. Put 4 liters in an old gold wing tank in pretty bad shape and it made it look new. Just keep rotating it over the 2 days.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom