keeping frame from flash rusting

vandito.cb

Been Around the Block
the paint on my frame is, well, missing in a few places due to a tank that didn't have the rear rubber mount, being old, and other unmentionable things.

i also plan on detabbing very soon as well as welding on a hoop, adding braces, etc. so i'm curious what you guys would recommend just for touch up spots after sanding down to bare metal to keep rust away. i have no plans to strip the entire bike down right now and paint the whole frame, just touch up spots.

i'm also not against primer spots everywhere; i actually enjoy that look, just not sure how primer will last as just primer and no coats over it. i'm just looking for something that will hold up for longer than a year, really.

Primer without clear will eventually rust, as it is not impermeable to water and the elements in order to allow paint to stick to it. It's also prone to oil soaking in which makes it hell to spray over later. If it's a black frame, just get some touch up alkyd enamel in black and paint it by hand in those places.

Yes

Attachments

• impressive-epoxy-paint-for-metal-12-rust-oleum-appliance-epoxy-spray-paint-600-x-600.jpg
    impressive-epoxy-paint-for-metal-12-rust-oleum-appliance-epoxy-spray-paint-600-x-600.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 909
Spray the areas that had rust with Prep and Etch Phosphate treatment to prevent further rusting. Spray it on, wait 15 minutes, hose it off and it's ready for paint.

o1marc said:
Spray the areas that had rust with Prep and Etch Phosphate treatment to prevent further rusting. Spray it on, wait 15 minutes, hose it off and it's ready for paint.
perfect. I actually plan to get some to clean my tank out anyway. should it be left at whatever dilution it comes bottled as for spraying?

vandito.cb said:
perfect. I actually plan to get some to clean my tank out anyway. should it be left at whatever dilution it comes bottled as for spraying?
Read the directions, they are different for different applications.

I've used Tremclad satin black rust paint applied with a brush to touch up rust and delete tabbed spots on frames with great results... laugh if you will but you'd be hard pressed to tell ;)

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

this is the absolute best to use...I work at a very high end restoration shop and this is the only thing we use on fresh bare metal.. rust inhibiting wash primer, PPG DX 1791/1792

https://www.repaintsupply.com/files/DX1791-TDS.pdf

This is great stuff. I'm not very experienced (halfway thru my first restoration) but I switched to the white appliance epoxy (rustoleum) after my can of white engine paint ran out and was waaaaaay too hard to replenish--the appliance paint looked just as good and laid down so great, half the price and readily available at most stores

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom