Galvanize a hole tank

Rene Holsebro

Been Around the Block
I welded at top from a cbr600 on my cj360 tank and would like to get the hole Thing galvanized!
Is that possible to do? and its filled with liner inside , but i Think they Will acid clean the tank first, right?

Rene Holstebro said:
I welded at top from a cbr600 on my cj360 tank and would like to get the hole Thing galvanized!
Is that possible to do? and its filled with liner inside , but i Think they Will acid clean the tank first, right?
Hot or cold? Of course its possible, might even look cool!

Cant recall seeing a galvanised tank before - there's probably reasons for not doing it but I don't know shit about galvanizing.

hillsy said:
Cant recall seeing a galvanised tank before - there's probably reasons for not doing it but I don't know shit about galvanizing.
Lots of the penning on farms is galvanized, the finish leaves a lot to be desired, so if he wants to galvanize the inside it could be usefull, but he will probably want to paint over the outside, as the finish looks like runny grey primer.

I thought it would be a very good for the inside, to make sure that it dosnt rust from the inside, where its welded. On the outside it Will be paintet by a prof.

After googling it some more I've found some reports stating that zinc coatings can dissolve over time when exposed to fuels.

That's probably why (apart from cost) that you don't see them.

Hmm damn!!! Any ideas on how to rustproof the inside. I can start to see little bobbles in the paint all the way around where I welded the top from the cbr600 to my cj360 tank. I did buy a 2 komponent product for lining the inside of the tank, no success!

If the paint is bubbling then there's probably rust all the way through the metal. Galvanizing isn't going to fix that just by itself.

Rene Holstebro said:
Hmm damn!!! Any ideas on how to rustproof the inside. I can start to see little bobbles in the paint all the way around where I welded the top from the cbr600 to my cj360 tank. I did buy a 2 komponent product for lining the inside of the tank, no success!
Use a tank sealer to keep it from rusting. Caswells is the best.

I did seal the inside of the tank after i welded it but aparently not good enough I guess I have to start all over with removing it and hopefully remove the rust and seal it again

Rene Holstebro said:
I did seal the inside of the tank after i welded it but aparently not good enough I guess I have to start all over with removing it and hopefully remove the rust and seal it again
Caswell's sealer actually prefers a rusted surface to bond to. Save a ton of time surgically cleaning the inside that most other sealers want. You will need to remove the old sealer though, good luck with that, not a fun job. The professional Triumph painter uses a torch on the outside to burn off the sealer on the inside.

https://hutchinsoncycle.com/2012/03/29/prepping-a-fuel-tank-for-paint/

Here's what Caswell says about the sealer:
Permanently Repairs Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass and Plastic Gas Tanks
Phenol Novolac Epoxies are a new breed of chemical resistant materials, able to withstand permanent immersion of many harsh solvents, fuels and oils. This Epoxy has much better bond strength than single component products, with strengths of up to 3000 PSI, and this higher strength reduces the need for a clinically clean surface, as the epoxy actually prefers to bond to a rough rusty surface. Our new phenol novolac is more thixotropic, which means it 'hangs' on the tank walls during the coating process. This gives a thicker overall coating. There is more volume of material in the kit to allow for this.

Ok i Will try with a liter of acetone , i dont Think I'm brave enough to try the fire method And look at the caswell product . Thanks

Back
Top Bottom