GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

Re: GOT a Zookie!

Busy, busy , busy. The Wifey is out of town so I got some time to spare in the shop in the evenings ;)
Yesterday I stayed after work and sandblasted some rusty hardware that would fit in the blasting cabinet. Battery tray, foot peg mount, side stand, brake and shifter levers. The remaining chrome was shot on all but the foot pad on the brake lever, so I will most likely mask that portion off because however I coat this part of the pedal, I am sure that would wear from use...

2783065740026369651S600x600Q85.jpg

Then tonight when I got home I tackled the original rusty tank by using a method I originally saw on SOHC4.com and then again in the $50 Mod Thread here... and my tank was unusable the way it was so what the heck.
Bought a bottle of "The Works" toilet bowel cleaner, box of baking soda, and rubbing alcohol. All items were $3.00 total.
After the de-rusting I coated it with Marvel Mystery Oil I had here.
Sorry, no pics but trust me, this works GREAT, I was left with a shiny galvanized appearance inside the previously unusably rusted tank.

Nice progress Hoosier. I just caught up and I have to say I'm all about the bratstyle for this thing. Well, after a couple hundred hours of sanding, polishing, and grinding. :D

My bike was an 850g. I gotta tell you, with the 16v 750, you won't wanna give up the twisty riding... :D If you go 'bobber', you may lose some of the handling characteristics that these bikes have to offer. I would lean towards the 'bratstyle' or even a streetfighter setup. (which is where mine was, not a true cafe)

There are lots of replacement parts around the web for that motor. The 16v is less common, but you can still source some of those pieces, like the valve cover end caps, and the starter cover. We've got a local salvage yard here. I've seen a couple of those pieces laying around in the past, so I know they should be available.

Regarding jetting: I went round and round with my 850, after adding the 4 into 1 and pods. Literally a couple of weeks worth of trial and error with various jet combinations. I bought the Dynojet kit, and was up and running in a hour. Save yourself some hassle, and just buy the kit. It's expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Keep up the good work, man. You will be very happy with your bike choice.

Thanks guys, it is appreciated. I am pretty set on the Brat-bike and figure I can pull that off pretty easy, without a hardtail.
loudest143, Thank you so much for theGSResources.com referance earlier! I am now a member there as well. I have been researching the Dynojet kits. What did you go with, stage 3? I am really torn on headers for this. I've seen V&H, Kerker, and Mac's but DAMN $300 bones or more! I am putting out my feelers and watching e-bay for a used set that's not all smashed up... I thought about hacking up the OEM 4-2 just past the collectors and installing a pair of Sportster or some other take-off cans like I did on the Bomber.

Sadly, I don't have pics of my header.... It was a V&H NOS that I scored off of EBay for 75 bucks!! Shiny chrome, and it was for a 750. Now, I took that header, and added a Muzzy sportbike cannister, and it mated up damned near perfect. I had a small aluminum spacer that I wrapped around the header, to fill up the small gap between the header pipe and the Muzzy can. Worked great, and had that sweet Muzzy growl. Trust me man, if you get the right exhaust combo on that bike, your friends will swear you're on a GSXR. Nothing like an inline 4 sound!

My jet kit was the stage 3. I had cheapo pod filters. I was able to tune it very easily once I put that kit in. The thing with the Dyno kit is, they have you drill out the vacuum hole in the carb slide. Once you do it, it makes perfect sense, as you're opening up all the other passage ways, so it makes throttle response MUCH MUCH faster. It's kind of like POW POW when you blip the throttle, as opposed to winding up, and slowly winding back down. Throttle is RIGHT NOW after the stage 3 kit. I also did the R1 throttle mod. Your stock throttle handle, the plastic part that your grip goes over, has a narrow slot for the throttle cable to attach to. Soooo, if you get a throttle body with a wider channel where the cable wraps around, guess what? You don't have to twist as far. Yeah, you're not riding with your wrist in a 'broken' position, it's much more flat. Which also translates into an easier wind up to higher RPMS, so it takes a bit to get used to. I bought a used one at the salvage yard for 5 bucks.

I found that looking up part numbers for the 750, and 1000 helped me find out if certain parts would mate up with my bike. You might try your favorite parts fiche to see what the numbers are for exhausts for that bike. Maybe the 1000s also mate up with that head. Just an idea......

Keep up the good work. Keep us posted!

Keepin all that in the database loudest, great info. And good point on the fische cross-referance!

I scanned the line drawing out of the manual and have been changing things up a little with MS Paint. Easier to click "undo" if I make a mistake than to try and re-weld something back on.

Lowered gauges and staighter bars, no passenger peg triangles and a seat that's Bratstyle. I shortened the rear fender a little instead of removing it all together, so I think I'll keep the rear frame extensions for the mounting for now.
Happy with the look, today I introduced the frame to mister Sawz-all and removed the peg / exhaust mount triangles, the inner splash gaurd and helmet lock mounts. Then I took my rotory burr then a sanding disk in the diegrinder and cleaned up the welds remains.

I plan on running without the centerstand but sure like using it to service the bikes so I kept those mounts on. I can put the stand back on and raise the bike on that when maintenance requires it.
In the past builds I sandblasted the frame, but they were in the summertime, too cold outside here to pull that off now. I have been sanding it by hand but it is slow going. I will probably end up laying cardboard in the shop and trying to strip it myself... but Monday I will call around and get prices for getting this frame dipped. 8)

I like the fact that you used the drawing to plan, cool idea. I just started sanding my frame, so I feel you on the slow going. Might have to spring for the brush on stripper next week.

CrescentSon said:
... Might have to spring for the brush on stripper next week.

DO-IT! I originally only wanted to test a small spot to see if the stripper would even work in the cold temps here but 3 hours, 4 cigs and a few beers later this is how it sits!. I doubt I will every sandblast another frame.

Stripper is great, Started on my tank last night and it would have been just as clean, until I ran out. Looking good Hoosier. Doesn't appear to be too rusty either. It even pulled the vinyl decals I had on it right off.

I've been doing a lot of disassembly, cleaning, sandblasting, and painting of the old parts. How do you paint when it single digits? Easy... preheat the parts and paint in the "Mens Room" here at home, run out in the garage and shoot a coat, then bring them back in to the heater and let it cure. Swear it gets about 90 in my little bathroom.

Big news is I sold the spare tank that didn't fit and used that $ to buy a Kerker header with a SuperTrapp tunable muffler. Looks a little rusty on the back side of the pipes but has no dents. I am so stoked!

Once it gets here, if the the chrome doesn't clean up I will remove /mask off the muffler and sandblast the header. Then shoot it with black high-temp paint at work and cure it in the Paint Departments bake oven there. Being a Maintenance Super has it's perks! ;)

Yes, a frame fits in there quite nicely!

Heat wave here tonight, up in the 20's... tomorrow it's supposed to get above freezing! I have been out in the shop with Simple Green and a scrub-brush working on the engine. Seems to be cleaning up nicely. Maybe if I get off work in time considering it's a Saturday I can take it out of the shop and actually rinse it off!

Lookin good Hoosier! If I tried that in my shower, my wife would say she's happy it's being used for SOMETHING.

Funny, my wife would be using it to prep the body for burial. A+ for getting it done no matter what.

No where did I say the wifey was too thrilled about it! She worked late the night before, and I got up eary to get it done before she woke up. First words out of her mouth was "what are you doing?" next was "Are you crazy?"
But by then it was all over... and she really knew the answer before she asked. ;)

Nice work so far! I'll definitely be using stripper in the future. That's for sure.

+1 on the Dynojet kit. The difference in my bike was very noticeable, and all positive. I still have some fine tuning, but in a very minor way. I feel like I could ride my bike as is indefinitely. Someone less inept in myself could have it done in a few hours. Now that I've done it, I feel confident even I could.

Can't wait to see where this one goes....and I'm jealous about that 16 valve motor.

Order of events...
I've been detailing the frame, Ground off the tabs I don't plan on using, getting rid of the rust with Naval Jelly and then grinding the factory welds splatter. Saturday I took it to work and shot it with 2 cans of Rustoleums "Etching Primer". Let it cure in the warm shop and picked it up Sunday Morning.

Plan on using those factory rear frame horns to mount the stock chrome fender relocated rolled forward to give it a stubby look. I want to get a Sparto tail light from DCC first before doing any drilling to get the angles right.

Yesterday I finally got the Kerker / Supertrapp header setup I bought. Damn snow slowed everything down. It actually looked better than I expected and will only have to paint the tubes black, the muffler cleaned up pretty good and the best part is NO DENTS!!!

Then, last night I won and e-bay auction for a complete engine set of OEM Suzuki gaskets and seals for $50! They are shipping today.

I am really wanting a big 7" Lucas style headlight.

headlight%20side%20shot.JPG

I originally ordered it from Cycle"X" for the Bomber build, but he was out of stock and upgraded me to an OEM style for the same price so I didn't bitch. I see he has it listed again but now it's also on DCC. So I may need to give them guys yet another order along with 4 more of those awesome billet aluminum turn signals from them too!

Ok, been a while since I updated but this is why... spent nights and nights of wet sanding, gradually moving to finer grit down to 800. Here are the "Before" Pics.

Then last night I went to my "New Old Mates" shop where they have a buffing wheel. Here is where those same pieces are tonight.

Yep, thats the ceiling fan and my cell in the reflection of those rotten ass old parts!
Now that is out of the way I can finally move onto other stuff!!!

Ouch. The before pics are hard to look at without cringing a little.....

Good job Hoosier!

Back
Top Bottom