Oil tank removal

Buff CB

Building and planning ahead for my CB750 I am trying to figure out what to do about a oil tank. The stock one might look good painted but I'm also intrigued by the open triangle in the frame much like this Wrench Monkee bike...

CB_01-0001.jpg

Any idea's how they went tankless? Is it possible to plug the oil line openings or is that asking for trouble?

I'm trying to see what my options are.

Thanks!

Its a dry sump. If you have no external oil tank and havent done some sort of insane engine work, youll destroy the motor in no time. Theres is hidden in the gas tank if I remember correctly (which I usually dont). If youre going cafe style, Ive seen them hidden in the seat, as part of the gas tank, in custom tanks under the motor... Theres a ton of options as to where one could be hidden. Or you can make/buy a cleaner looking aftermarket unit.

Some guys have gutted the stock tank and inserted the internals into all manner of containers. You still have to find a home for it somewhere.

For a bike that's ridable but isn't ridden it's not a problem having oil tank inside gas tank.
In the real world though, the oil gets HOT, it has to.
Oil needs to be hot enough to boil off water vapour from combustion byproducts and also from condensation.
That means it will run at over 212 degree's F (100 deg C) when its at 'correct' temperature. (usually around 220~250 f is good)
You need a minimum amount of oil so it doesn't overheat, fitting an oil cooler will allow a smaller oil tank
Rickman used frame on a few models, no need for a cooler as there is massive surface area, main then was problem getting oil hot enough to boil the water out.
There should be a few different oil tanks for chopped CB750's, they were pretty popular as choppers in the 70's, will be easier to adapt something than 're-invent the wheel'

Pretty sure that Wrenchmonkees bike is a "concept" bike and doesn't have an oil tank (IE doesn't run). It's been discussed on a few boards.

Oil tank in the fuel tank is a nice neat idea until the oil gets hot like PJ has mentioned..... :eek:

Sorry to re-open a long-dead topic, but this "oil-tank removal" question keeps on coming back..

We, Outsiders Motorcycles from the Netherlands, have been working on this problem for the last 3 years. We've come up with a kit that enables you to completely remove the stock oiltank on virtually all ohc 750's. Please take a look on www.SumpThing.net as this is the designated product page. You could also click here to go to the webshop directly. If you have any questions regarding the kit, don't hessitate to shoot an email at 'contact@sumpthing.net'

Thanks!

fb-ad-sumpthing.jpg

Even though it's seven years too late, that’s a neat concept.
What is the oil capacity?
Does bike run hotter (may be a good idea for some people ;) )

Back
Top Bottom