Hydraulic Brake conversion for the CB200, lets make a kit!!??!!

diesel450

"Fast with a past"
DTT BOTM WINNER
Lots of 200's around here and only so many good mechanical brake calipers to go around.

A while ago I was having a discussion with a guy on Hondatwins.net about creating a conversion kit that would mount a new caliper, probably something off a scooter, onto the 200's forks. I think this is a great idea and could provide a much needed solution to the 200's dodgy brake. Problem is I'm not a machinist and this other guy disappeared. Is any one with tools and skills interested in working together on a kit? If so let me know. We'd need to identify a good reasonably priced caliper and master cylinder and then create a way to mount it. I can provide a set of CB200 forks for working this out.

Also if you'd be interested in buying one of these kits chime in so I can get a sense of demand and at what price.

Thanks!!

That's a great Idea, and I'm in. I've got the design skills and software (solidworks), as well as a machinist friend who has access to a cnc machine. He can buy machine time at his work who is looking to do somethings on the side. I'll get in touch with him and see what his interest level is. I don't think the kit would be too hard to make.

Jay

Cool, I think its really just a matter of identifying the caliper and then creating a bracket to mount it to the forks.

Any thoughts on calipers? I guess I'll start researching. :p

Those would look great! However I'm hoping for the whole kit to come in under $200 if at all possible.

Hi Scott, The fellow your talking about on the Honda Twins .Net site is Steve, AKA 66Sprint. He is still there and can be contacted. He was trying to sell the conversion kits and had indicated in one of his post on that site that he was in process of fabricating the kits to sell. Here is the link to his post on that site....... http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4533&sid=17d04b6214bcbd7e1f532587b455d12f I hope its OK to post a link to the "OTHER" site here :-X , .P.S., Steve is the one who got the running rough and the non-charging issue worked out with me on my CB350. He is one smart cookie!

Actually I think it was someone else but I may be wrong. I checked his thread and will contact him. Thanks Glenn.

It'd be nice to find a caliper that if fairly common here, just for availability of parts like brake pads. Might have to make some spacers or adapters to fit a new disc.

I think that the cb125 may use the same brake setup. If so that would add a lot of people who might be willing to buy a hydraulic conversion, ME being one. The part numbers are not the same but im pretty sure they are the same brake. Id be willing to send one to who ever is making the set up to compare.

Need to revive this as I have tried to contact the dude on Hondatwins that made a kit and got no response so maybe we pick up where he left off. I won't have much time to devote to this until fall but I do have 200 parts that can be used for mock up etc.

Try again. I spoke on the phone to him yesterday and sent the caliper off my 125 to him today. He is going to use it to make a setup for my bike.

Just found this post. This sounds like a great idea. Im building a 74 cb200 for my wife now and would love to have really good brakes for her. I also have a spare set of forks that could be used for getting this worked out if it would help

I think this set might be the best option for me now. I hope that it will happen. Getting the kit going would be sweet. I would definitely like to keep the disc set up on my cb200. keep the updates coming.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to use a sliding caliper?
The spokes will be in the way if you try and use an opposed piston caliper, the back will be too wide.
There are hundreds of thousands of ATV's using sliding calipers so used ones shouldn't be too difficult to find

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know if anything ever came of this? I've got a CB125 and am dealing with trying to swap the caliper out for something that will actually stop the bike. I believe it's the same as the CB200. Thanks

I am also rowing this same boat. Was going to see about machining a whole new caliper that will mount in place of the stock cable driven.

The fact there are no available parts to rebuild these cable driven fronts leads me to do the hydraulic conversion.

Pretty much we need to compile a list of potential calipers and I can get my hands on some and see about making them work or maybe fabbing a whole new one.

Anyone know what the stock disc diameter and thickness is? Need to find comparable bikes to steal calipers off of.

I will measure the disc to spoke distance tonight on my bike.

I think it would actually be pretty simple to make a new arm from 6061 plate and bolt a caliper on
If I had a 125~200 here I would make something but I'm not going to attempt it from pictures ;)

Back
Top Bottom