www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: cb400 project 'hmm...'  (Read 21118 times)

Offline joeybaggadonuts

• comin in hot, hit em wit it
cb400 project 'hmm...'
« on: Sep 24, 2011, 00:43:31 »
Hey there! here is my first ever motorcycle project, nicknamed 'old blue', for completely non-obvious reasons....... anyway!, it is a 1978 honda cb400t, super clean in my opinion, and it doesn't run! picked it up for $250 and figured i couldnt go wrong. lets find out! the first big problem is the reason the last guy sold it, he didnt feel like fixing it, (he was a honda scooter kinda guy, and wasnt really into the old cb's) the new plugs get no sparks. i have a couple ideas in my head of where the problem is located, but most of you peoples knowledge and wisdom far surpass mine! i was first going to check wires, i already checked fuses, all good, and i next want to see if electricity is getting to and coming out of the ignition coil. another possible problem is the 'off run off' switch next to the throttle grip. the switch is gone and there is just wires taped together, and one wire just hanging out. i think whoever was playing with it taped the wires in the 'run' position, and thats why the battery was dead. new battery and plugs by the way.  so, i'll upload some pics of the bike, i'll share some plans for what i want it to be, and i would love some criticism, ideas, and help from all you DTT builders! Thanks!  ;D 8)

j
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 16:19:08 by joeybaggadonuts »
It is better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong, than a pessimist who is always right.

1978 CB400 sold :(

Don't quit your day dream

Offline YogiBear

Re: cb400 project 'old blue'
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2011, 01:46:08 »
gotta love the "custom" wiring fixes lol.  ;D Looks like a good base. I like the color scheme. I think it would look good if you left that paint job on after you cafe it.

Offline yayuppp

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2011, 10:04:32 »
I just went through the same problem of getting no spark.  Two coils and a new cdi later, I'm in business. 

If you got a place near by that will test coils, I'd do that first.  You should also test the stator.  It's really easy to do with a multimeter.  If everything checks out;  new cdi time.  From what I've been told, these cdi units fried a lot.  Search cdimagician on eBay.  Good stuff.

Looks like a great a starting platform! 

Also check out this thread.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26184.0

Offline joeybaggadonuts

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2011, 00:54:22 »
thanks yayuppp, same bike same problem? i'll look around to see if anywhere nearby can test coils, most likely there will be somewhere. tomorrow i will hopefully be testing whatever i can with multimeter. had to charge up the battery first. I'll definitely check out cdimagician

It is better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong, than a pessimist who is always right.

Offline joeybaggadonuts

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2011, 00:56:20 »
gotta love the "custom" wiring fixes lol.  ;D Looks like a good base. I like the color scheme. I think it would look good if you left that paint job on after you cafe it.

the wiring on this bike is wonderful..  :o I love the color and the tank is pretty clean so I plan on using it

Offline seth.sundquist

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2011, 11:55:24 »
i believe on this bike the off/on/off switch only connects wires in the off position. all it does is closes a ground loop for the cdi the kill the ignition.  i am pretty sure in the on stage though there is no connection of any wires. these old honda 400 twins don't require a battery to run as well. first thing i would do is unplug the black with white stripe wire plug coming out of the cdi box(that is the ground kill switch from both the key and the off/on/off switch) and kick that bad boy over!!! who knows you might get lucky.

Offline joeybaggadonuts

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2011, 14:11:53 »
the black and white wire was unplugged... but where is the cdi box? could i actually not even have one which is the reason it wont spark? i looked everywhere for something that looked like what i imagined a cdi box to be but couldnt find it, where wouldi t be? i couldnt tell where the black and white wire had come from, but it was already unplugged. there is wires with a plug end coming out of the ignition coil that isn't plugged into anything too. here are pics of the situation at hand. currently when i kick it there is no spark.

the blue tape blob you see is whats taping two wires together.

and here's the picture of the ignition coil with random unplugged plug?
f.y.i. it is a green and a black wire

Offline yayuppp

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2011, 14:55:42 »
The cdi should be on the opposite side of the frame of the ignition coil.  It plugs into that random coupler. 

Offline joeybaggadonuts

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2011, 15:18:55 »
is this where the cdi is supposed to be?

Offline yayuppp

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2011, 15:25:16 »
99.9% positive.  There should be 2 10mm hex bolts there, and like an indenting in the frame between them.  I think I see them in the picture; is there a wire grounded there?