www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: CB900 Big & Beefy Moto  (Read 23046 times)

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
CB900 Big & Beefy Moto
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 17:57:36 »
Time to make a start on the CB 900 I've had at the back of the shop. Was bought as a non runner parts bike about a year ago. I got it running by changing one of the pulsar coils then stuck it away whilst I finished the CB750 Brat bike.

My intention was always to fit different wheels, forks and swingarm so all the original bits were sold off a while back. It came with pod filers so no airbox but I have a set of 1st gen 1985 Suzuki GSXR750 Mikini Flatslide Carbs I'm gonna try and fit. They are 29mm VM29ss, similar to mikuni RS and not the mikuni VM smoothbores. Spacing is a mile out so it could be a challenge but I believe its been done before.

I got it out from beneath all the other junk I have lying around and thought it would be an easy job to get her going again

After changing the oil and filter It was a bitch to start, would run on one pot or not at all, checked over everything, pulsar coils, I bought a new reg/rec as I used this one on the other build. Bought CBR600 coils as they are a good upgrade and plug leads.

I was messing around for a good few hours was getting a spark, plugs were wet but still no joy.
Then I gave my dumbass a kicking. I had been using a spare plug to test the spark, not removing the plugs only removing after a few trys to clean when they were fouled. Turns out 3 of the plugs were duff.

Few days later the plugs arrived and she fired right up. Result.

Now I had it running I could make a plan of sorts. I already bought a while ago a complete 2000 ZX9r front end. I wanted the RWU forks for the period look and they are a beefy 46mm stanchions.

I bought a blackbird swingarm as well a while ago and Zx9r rear wheel

Well that was the plan, but last week I saw a bike that changed my mind and I am now going to fit a 2007 CBR600RR prolink swingarm.

The beauty of the prolink arm is I only have to make one shock mount on the frame the top mount is on the arm. I have to modify the sides of the arm as its wider than the CB and therefore the internal bearings and spacers. When I get all the wheel spacers and rear caliper and carrier I can work it all out.

To bring it up to date today I got my Zx6r yolks back with the CB steerer stem fitted, needed a bush for the lower and the upper  easing out to fit the cb stem. For the eagle eyed amongst you I did say ZX6r yolks, I'm using these as the top yolk is flatter and slimmer than the ZX9r top yolk and I need all the length I can get.

Forks fitted

I ground off the steering stops and steering lock bracket. Next is to make a new steering stop and weld it on.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013, 18:02:13 by notlob »
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Offline Finnigan

Re: CB900 Big & Beefy Moto
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 19:04:20 »
YES

Offline Carpy

• Squirell!!
    • book of face
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 19:15:02 »
Sweet
92 Seca ii
Getting it up and running here
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46734.0

Offline axelcrypt

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013, 19:15:54 »
I'm in!

Offline Das1slickninja

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:46:18 »
This is gonna be sick! Interested to see how it all comes together

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2013, 19:50:21 »
Update from the past few days

Made a steering stop, took a few hours of sawing filing, fitting and filing to get this little piece

here it is welded on

After much measuring and pontificating with the ZX6r wheel in the CBR swingarm I decided that it was going to be to much machining to get the alignment correct. I really wanted matching wheels so relunctantly went for a CBR600rr wheel thats a drop in in the swingarm just waiting for a sprocket carrier so I can align the front and back sprockets. Will still need some machining of the carrier and more than likely an offset front sprocket.

maybe if funds allow I'll get a cbr front wheel to match but for now heres the Zx wheel fitted

6 pot calipers came with the front end. I gave them a clean up and blew the pistons part way out to inspect. They could do with replacing and although the body was protected with grease the dust seals look to be lifting which means corrosion underneath.
At some point I will probably replace them with some 90mm spacing nissin 4 pots, a lot cheaper to refurbish.

“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Offline LaynDoor

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2013, 20:00:28 »
Um yea... Im on board... this is going to be fun to watch! love the forks.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2013, 20:15:54 »
Rad
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2013, 20:26:24 »
Mmm hmm
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline AbbyRider

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2013, 21:26:30 »
Beefy alright.