$50 mod thread

Ethanol said:
Parts/paint cooker!

I am impatient and I hate waitin' so I built this.

Got a brand new 20 year old toaster over from a thrift store for $5 and got this crazy aluminum box from a surplus store for $25. Pulled the toaster apart and moved everything around. Cut some holes in the box so I could access the controls.

Works great. Turn it to 200 (thermostat still works) put the parts in it and let them cook. It's awesome but man it smells nasty.

Fits a lot of tanks perfectly.

Picture009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture003.jpg

great idea to cure paint man!!!

Well for all the 2 strokers out there I thought I might add my homemade leakdown tester to the list. Basically, the tester allows you to pump a small amount of pressure into your motor and check for any air leaks in your engine. Air leaks=lean mixture, lean mixture=death. Common areas of concern would be the crank seals, intake manifolds and cylinder/heads gaskets. Cases could leak too, but probably less likely (if you torque your case bolts and use quality 3 bond like good boys and girls).

leakdown_tester.jpg

What you will need:
1) Low pressure gauge 1-20 psi max, with 1/4" pipe thread adaptor. I ordered mine from McMasterCarr (0-15 psi).
part #: 4000K681 cost: $9.05
2) Low pressure 'T' pipe fitting w/ 1/4" female threads.
McMasterCarr part # 4429K251. Cost $6.05 ...can be found at any hardware store.
3) Schraeder air fitting(bicycle tire fitting) with 1/4" male threads.
McMasterCarr part # 8063K37. Cost $3.82.
4) 2 rubber expansion plugs (the 2 circular metal things in the pic, the metal piece is just a big washer and under it is a 1.5 inch thick piece of rubber
with a smaller washer on the other side and a bolt that goes through. When you tighten the nut the 2 washers squish the rubber part and makes it
expand 1/8"). Measure your exhaust outlets port size and then find the correct diameter expansion plug that will expand to provide an airtight seal at the
exhaust port. Look in the plumbing dept. I found mine at Ace Hardware. About $4 a piece.
5) 1 PVC elbow per carb...so if you have a twin buy 2. Take your intake manifold to the hardware store and look in the plumbing section for one that is a
real tight fit in your manifold where the carb would mount. Make sure to BUY ones that don't have any raised letters or markings on them.
Also make sure to get ones with female threads on the end that sticks OUT of the manifold. Around $2 a piece.
6) Find a threaded brass plug that will thread into the female threads on the PVC elbow, this is just to block off one of the elbows. Cheap dollarish.
7) Find a reducer coupling to connect the other PVC elbow to your 'T' fitting. (I needed 2, 1/2" to 3/8" & 3/8" to 1/4" threads on the 'T'). Also dollarish.
8. Hand operated bicycle pump. You probably have one, if not your neighbor does.
9) Teflon tape and silicone. You probably already have some.
10) bottle of windex

* For the above, materials are not set in stone. You will have to find the correct size plugs to fit you bike. The one I made is for an RD350. However, once you have it made you can simply buy different sized plugs and pvc elbows and adapt it to any bike.

** MY design as far all the reducers and plugs is just what I happened to find that worked on the dimesions of my bike. You may be able to make it less convoluted by avoiding the reducer couplers and whatnot. Also, you could probably use a 3rd rubber expansion plug to plug up the second carb on a twin, but I thought that a solid piece of PVC was better, b/c then I could use the carb hose clamp to get a nice tight fit. Other things could work with some creativity. But as for my materials I sourced them all from McMasterr Carr and Ace...you could get it all from MMC but its better to physically find nice tight fitting PVC elbows.

So the way it works is: First off it's way easier with the motor out of the frame, but not necessary. Remove the exhaust and carbs. torque all your case bolts to spec (alot less than you may think), torque the head bolts, and spark plugs. If you have reeds: use a little of wood like a cut down chop stick or something to prop open the reeds ( I used a couple bolts with electrical tape wrapped around the end so as to not harm the delicate reed valves. I place my pistons so that all the ports were partially open. RD350's have a labyrinth seal in the middle of the crank that will allow air to pass through and fill the other cylinder/crankcase/cage/manifold, so you only have to do the test on one side. Also, I would advise removing the motor covers so you can SEE the crank seals, it may not be necessary on the clutch side, but definitely on the rotor side. I know its a pain in the ass b/c you'll have to retime, but you likely need to anyway :p. If the clutch side seal is leaking then your bike would be sucking or burning transmission oil, unless you have some fancy fucking 2 stroke with a dry clutch like a TZ or something...and if you do...then you already know how to do all of this! ;)

Now plug up the exhaust port(s) with the rubber expansion plugs. I applied a little bit of oil to the sides, stuck em in my exhaust ports and cranked those suckers down as far as they would go. Now assemble the inlet schraeder valve, pressure gauge, and PVC elbow to the 'T' fitting like pictured. Use teflon air fitting tape or dope on all the threads. (I later applied silicone to the outside of all the threads to ensure the tester itself would not leak...especially where brass threads into PVC). Same with the other carb plug PVC elbow. I also filled the inside of it solid with silicone to make damn sure it wouldnt leak. Install those into your intake manifolds and tighten them with the hose clamps that hold your carbs on. Now you motor is plugged up, sealed (theoretically :p)

Now, grab your bike pump. Attach the bike pump to the inlet valve and slowly pump it up to 6.5 psi. Try and pull the pump the valve off as quickly as possible after reaching 6.5 psi, do this until you can pull it off without losing any more than .5 psi. So what you want is 6 psi. (if you leave the pump on the valve it will likely leak, mine did) Now watch the gauge, it should hold that 6 psi for at least 6 minutes. Chances are it won't!

So take you windex and spray around the intake manifolds, anywhere one surface touches another, including where the tester seals. Look for any bubbles or foaming. My brand new ones leaked like a damn cive. Also check where the reed blocks, if you have them, mount to the cylinder, check the head, check the base of the cylinders, check around the crankcases, and check the crank seals. If you find obvious leaks such as bubbles or foam, then address that problem and move on. For instance I had take my manifold/cages off and use new gaskets and yamabond then play with the torque specs to get a good seal. i totally rebuilt my motor so I wasn't expecting any other leaks, and didnt find any. Even if you don't find any bubbles with the windex, but the gauge still shows a lose of pressure, just keep at it until you achieve a proper seal. Your mating surfaces may need flattened or maybe you didn't torque something to spec.

But most of these old strokers need new seals at the very least.

A well sealed 2 stroke engine will be much safer, more reliable, and wayyyy easier to tune. Otherwise you'll be trying to jet around your leak problems instead of fixing them.

*Equally important is doing a vaccum test, I have not done mine yet. But basically you use the same exact setup but take the core out of the schraeder valve, hook up a tube that fits over it that is hooked to some sort of vaccuum pump,.....a mitey vac brake bleeder should work perfect and it has a vaccuum gauge on it as well. i don't remember how much vaccum the engine should hold. But google it!
;)

So, by all means if you have money to burn...buy the $200+ motion pro tool. Otherwise this will work fine. Have fun!

Thank the internet! I just did a bunch of research and copied/adapted to my needs...especially in the cost dept. ....I know leakdown testing is a good idea with 4 strokes too...just not sure what the difference is. I assume you would need a totally different setup for a 4 stroke. Probably would be even easier to build...as you would need a higher pressure gauge, which are easier to find.

im gonna try and post up a "Merge your headers on the cheap" post this weekend for those of us who cant drop the 300$ on a brand new pimped out header.

hurley209 said:
im gonna try and post up a "Merge your headers on the cheap" post this weekend for those of us who cant drop the 300$ on a brand new pimped out header.

Yes!!! Please do!

arcspeedworks said:
Yes!!! Please do!

I'm really interested in seeing this too.

Trying to figure out the exhaust for my 350F, I've been looking at MAC but I really want a smaller "shorty" setup, using the 12" emgo mufflers, like these:

baffle001-1.jpg

I want to just make a short and stubby exhaust system for the bike. If you have some tricks as far as merging the header pipes... LET US KNOW! ;D

Ok will do this weekend, il try and get something drawn on my pc, I will say though, this merge, being that it is a "budget" merge is not going to be pretty lol, you will most likely wanna wrap it unless your awesome and have a tig welder. But like I said, this is for those of us who cannot afford a "real" merged header and want a solution on an affordable level.

Things you will need:
Welder or friend with welder.
Grinder or metal chop saw.
Vice grip pliers.
Scrap metal (for bracing into position)
2- pieces of exhaust pipe 18" long (or whatever length is available to you, i reccomend having around 3ft give or take just in case) and whatever diameter applies to your headers, from you local auto parts store usually about 16$ give or take
High heat paint (optional)

I RECCOMEND A Y PIPE ADAPTER FOR A BETTER EASIER MERGE, BUT INSTRUCTIONS SHOW MERGE WITHOUT THE Y PIPE.

!!DO NOT FORGET TO MAKE AN OPENING IN THE PIPE YOU ARE MERGING TO FOR THE EXHAUST ON THE MERGING SIDE TO FLOW THROUGH!!

when you have all your tack welds holding the shape in place, proceed to finish weld ALL the openings and cuts, and grind to clean a bit.
to seal off openings multiple tack welds will be the best way if you dont have a tig welder, so that you dont burn through the pipe.

this method can be used to merge to the "left" or the "right".
just follow the examples and apply it to whichever direction you want your exhaust to point toward. this is made to exit on the right side of the bike.

Ok PICTURES ATTACHED HAVE INSTRUCTIONS IN THEM. CLICK AND ZOOM

Attachments

• MERGE 1.JPG
    MERGE 1.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 420
  • MERGE 2.JPG
    MERGE 2.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 386
  • MERGE 3.JPG
    MERGE 3.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 376
  • merge4.JPG
    merge4.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 350
Just wanted to post that I cleaned my rusty tank last night with "The Works" like I found here. Came out GREAT!
THANKS!!!!

Posted by: Dirty Dan
Trying to figure out the exhaust for my 350F,

Check out my "Lil Sister" thread. I used flared VW tips from JC Whitney super easy and sounds good... The linky is in my sig...

hurley209 said:
Ok will do this weekend, il try and get something drawn on my pc, I will say though, this merge, being that it is a "budget" merge is not going to be pretty lol, you will most likely wanna wrap it unless your awesome and have a tig welder. But like I said, this is for those of us who cannot afford a "real" merged header and want a solution on an affordable level.

Things you will need:
Welder or friend with welder.
Grinder or metal chop saw.
Vice grip pliers.
Scrap metal (for bracing into position)
2- pieces of exhaust pipe 18" long (or whatever length is available to you, i reccomend having around 3ft give or take just in case) and whatever diameter applies to your headers, from you local auto parts store usually about 16$ give or take
High heat paint (optional)

Ok the rest will be added over the weekend this is just a small start.

Come on where's the rest!

alright, i downloaded some software so il be making some drawings for reference and then we'll be good to go, sorry for the delay, just been busy.

ok, i believe i posted about all that you need to do a merge. let me know if something is confusing.
again, this is not a pro exhaust build, or high quality super cool header, but it will provide a merge, and not break the bank.
i know someone probably has a way better way of doing this, but this is what i came up with, so please dont be rude if you dont dig it or i missexplained something.

located on pg 51, click the pics and zoom.

FREE Spring Compressor Mod

Today I figured out how to make a rear spring compressor for nothing.

I wasted $50 on a spring compressor at Advance Auto and it still didn't work. So I got to thinking this evening.

I took the rear shock, took a sprocket (doesn't really matter the size and I had a few sitting around).

You need a door jamb, or pull your truck up close to a wall. Basically anything close together to sit between.

So I took the sprocket, put the shock through the center hole, slid it through the third coil from the top and put both sides of the sprocket on the balls of my feet.

I just pushed with my legs and compressed the springs (just like a seated squat). As the spring compressed I was able to slide the collar and retainers on.

I should have taken some pictures, but you will probably get the idea. And it's FREE!!

This is what I did for a spring compressor. Wind it up with a rattle-gun, job's a good 'un

springComp.jpg

made from scrap I had lying around. Old sprocket and some threaded rod. Spent more on paint ::)

cheers
ian

CrescentSon said:
So the spring is aimed at your crotch? Dedication.

I'd be worried my foot would slip causing the sprocket to rip you a new one.

Back
Top Bottom