$50 mod thread

Spring Compressor

Big thanks to a friend over on hondatwins.net for the idea to make your own spring compressor. Costs less than $10 to make.

Materials:
  • 2' of 5/16'' allthread bar
  • 3' of 1/8'' X 3/4'' flat bar
  • 6 nuts

springCompressor_1.jpg

Trick with cutting allthread is to put a nut on either side of the cut line prior to cutting. Then you just remove the nuts to help clean up the theads.
springCompressor_2.jpg

All parts cut and drilled. I later drilled an additional hole in each bar to help with the fit.
springCompressor_3.jpg

All setup and ready to work.
springCompressor_4.jpg

All done until time to rebuild.
springCompressor_6.jpg

Nice thing about it is it packs up neatly :)
springCompressor_5.jpg

Yep, the triangulation is key to this one. It'll be a lot safer than some other methods that way. Well done.

ryanbfast said:
wow thats guys car came out amazing

And the paint has held up way better than anyone thought it would.However,it is an ass load of work on a car.Only half an ass load of work on a bike.LOL

ben2go said:
And the paint has held up way better than anyone thought it would.However,it is an ass load of work on a car.Only half an ass load of work on a bike.LOL

I painted my 240sx a few years back the same way. It is a lot of work if you want good results, but I'd definitely do it again. Came out great and held up fine.

HerrDeacon said:
I painted my 240sx a few years back the same way. It is a lot of work if you want good results, but I'd definitely do it again. Came out great and held up fine.

How long did it take you?Some guys takes weeks to get it looking good.

Was months for me, did it over one winter. I could have done it quicker but I basically took my time and did it panel by panel. I used to wet sand after every second coat to ensure smoothness.

That paint idea looks great. I think I'll be doing my bike that way.

I followed a link to a Mopar forum from that link up above and came across 20+ pages talking about paint with a roller. I'm sold.

Here's the link: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Those mopar boys are broke when they get the car to the paint stage, so they had to come up with something cheap to get paint on there. ;D

Staffy said:
That paint idea looks great. I think I'll be doing my bike that way.

I followed a link to a Mopar forum from that link up above and came across 20+ pages talking about paint with a roller. I'm sold.

Here's the link: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

NO. FUCKING. WAY.

Guess I DO have a budget to paint my mini this summer :D

I painted my autocross toy (now languishing in the back lot ) the same way. Took a couple weeks to get the basecoat down evenly and smooth but it looked pretty effing outstanding. Never got around the painting the graphics that I wanted, just quick and dirty vinyl but it worked out well. Unfortunately I didn't take care of it and it now looks like dogshit. I will repaint it that way again...won't be a heartbreaker if I wall it....

Electrolytic Rust Removal

I love this! It takes forever, but works well and you only remove the rust.

What you need:

Old battery charger (I have been told you need one that will spark when the ends meet)
Bucket (or something that will hold as much water as you need)
The water
Metal rod
Small clamp
Wire
Washing Soda
A rusty part

I took a five gallon bucket and placed a 1x piece of wood on top with a hole cut in it. Fill bucket most of the way up with a half cup or so of washing soda. I found Arm & Hammer washing soda at Walmart. I don't shop at Walmart, but no one else had it... Supposedly you can use baking soda, but it doesn't work as well. I clamped a steel rod to the inside of the bucket just off the bottom with a small clamp. I hang my parts from the 1x with the wire. I used copper electrical wired because it is on hand. Connect the negative terminal to the wire on the part and the positive to the metal rod. Turn on the power and sit back! You should see bubbles within minutes and then a black layer of rust will form on top of the water. All the rust should end up on the rod!

Oh yea, turn the charger off before you touch anything! I'm not sure what all parts will give you a shock and I'm not willing to find out for you guys...

i did this to my tank and it worked well. i did it overnight and then cleaned off the rust on the rod and set up it up again overnight. i recommend it

I've never had good luck with it.The rod builds up with rust crust so fast that it has to be cleaned every hour or two.Takes a long time.

SIX DOLLAR shorty velocity stacks...

Just cause I wanted to see if it would work.. I went a bought two of these at the thrift shop,

P1090511.jpg

total cost 2.89 each. Bring a magnet and make sure it doesn't stick, these are silver plated brass..
Take your newly purchased cup, chalice, champagne flute thing home and cut the bottom off as such

P1090512.jpg

Next, measure the carb that you will be enhancing and get the diameter of the filter side of the carb.. mine was 2.160, measure the thickness of the material of your cup, mine was .040 and then do some math.. 2.160 and .040*2 (theres two sides of the cup) and I got 2.240 and then I took off ten just to make sure i didn't cut too big. Slide your vernier calipers down the cup from the narrowest part of the taper to the rim until you reach the portion that is your measured amount and mark it..
Next mount your cup in your nearest drill press.. Like so..

P1090513.jpg

Fire it up and hold your chosen cutting device on your mark and cut the top off of the cup. I used the edge of a flat file, and seeing the the base metal was brass it made short work of it...
And my finished product, all I have left to do is pick up 3 very fine thread set screws, drill and tap the cup and drill 3 dimples in the lip of the carb for the set screw to seat into... Some locktite and the finished product will look like this..

P1090515.jpg

P1090514.jpg

I need to shop around a bit more and see if I can find some that are a little taller.....

damn thats pretty good. with some luck you could find some with a more preferable shape. you going to put any screen on those?

Yep, cause they are brass i'll just solder some metal screen on the inside - 2 pieces and sandwich some foam in between, I didn't have my verniers with me so I had to use my eyecrometer when I was shopping and these cups were a little small evidently, but proof of concept :)

Back
Top Bottom