1970 Greeves Griffon *VIDEO ADDED* With Questions

Re: 1970 Greeves Griffon

Is that Nicholson Motors the Greeves importer? Yes the Triumph engine conversion is quite common.
I was born in 1960 so I remember "scrambles" too!
Probably end up getting my Silverstone from England, the importing is the biggest problem here in California although being a racing bike it should be easier.
Merry Christmas Pat.

Moving forward. Got the engine in.

Attachments

• photo 2 (9).JPG
    photo 2 (9).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 882
  • photo 1 (12).JPG
    photo 1 (12).JPG
    42 KB · Views: 865

looks good, how is the gas tank? i have a similar 69 250 56c griffon.

Its good to see one of these relics going together again. Brings back memories of the '60's - a tiny Brit company's bikes besting the best of the Far East - and for all their faults, pretty much "the" bike to beat when you were riding scrambles aka motocross, way back when.
Neat fun project.
Pat

joea said:
looks good, how is the gas tank? i have a similar 69 250 56c griffon.

Here is a link to my gas tank thread http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63142.0
Joea you seem to have 1 of each bike ever made ;) I do remember you mentioning the Greeves in another of my posts. Is it restored, and how about a pic?

Attachments

• photo (28) (1).JPG
    photo (28) (1).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,104

pacomotorstuff said:
Its good to see one of these relics going together again. Brings back memories of the '60's - a tiny Brit company's bikes besting the best of the Far East - and for all their faults, pretty much "the" bike to beat when you were riding scrambles aka motocross, way back when.
Neat fun project.
Pat
Hoping to get this one back on the podium at vintage MX (scrambles).

Just been messing around with the timing on this beast :mad: Points ignition not my favorite thing to deal with.
Just to confirm, I am setting the points gap at TDC is this correct? Give me electronic ignition anyday.

I would set the points gap at the max extent of the points cam and have the timing set for the contacts to open at the correct distance before TDC of the piston

David this could be my problem, I just assumed that the high point on the cam was at TDC. The issue I am having is that the timing is too far advanced even when I have my backplate rotated all the way to the end of the radial slots. The timing is supposed to be at 4mm BTDC and the nearest I can get it is just under 5mm then I run out of adjustment.

Hope you guys like my crude timing light set up ;) Smallest 12v battery I could find sitting around and an old turn signal!

Attachments

• photo (38).JPG
    photo (38).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,428

I think PVL among others makes a solid-state ignition system for the Greeves, if that trips your trigger.
Pat

1969 56c griffon…not the correct rear sprocket but it came that way from the previous owner. some day i will install the stock one i picked up.

4mm before TDC sounds a bit much- I know it depends on manufacturer and stroke etc- however I would have thought 1.8 -3mm was a good range to start

David C

I take that last advice back- a trawl through the net shows that 4-5mm before TDC is about right for the various Villiers units depending on state of tune and the Mk of the engine

Sorry if I caused confusion

David C

do you need specs? i have a service and parts manual in the shop i can take a look at since i believe the 69 and 70 are the exact same machines.

joea said:
do you need specs? i have a service and parts manual in the shop i can take a look at since i believe the 69 and 70 are the exact same machines.
Thanks Joe, i have those manuals also. I know it's 4mm btdc just not use to dealing with points ignition! Your bike looks good, that's a humungous sprocket!!

davidc said:
I take that last advice back- a trawl through the net shows that 4-5mm before TDC is about right for the various Villiers units depending on state of tune and the Mk of the engine

Sorry if I caused confusion

David C

No worries! I know it is 4mm btdc just made the error of assuming that the points gap was set at tdc.

yes it was on there for climbing hills back in western pa by previous owner (who gave me the bike).……i did a few vintage mx's in mn and there was a lot of shifting but not much speed! ha

Back
Top Bottom