RestoCycle restomods a 1981 Honda CB750F

Great stuff, I'm in the process of cleaning up an old BMW, and will take some of your tips for refurbishing the plastic bits.

Andrew

andrew6v said:
Great stuff, I'm in the process of cleaning up an old BMW, and will take some of your tips for refurbishing the plastic bits.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Here's a good one: SEM Flexible bumper coater. That's a spray paint, not super cheap, totally excellent for restoring plastic when you can't renew it otherwise.

NobleHops said:
Thanks Andrew. Here's a good one: SEM Flexible bumper coater. That's a spray paint, not super cheap, totally excellent for restoring plastic when you can't renew it otherwise.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

CarbsAndCylinders said:
...I can't wait to see the finished bike.

Brian

Thank you kindly Brian, that makes at least three of us: you, me and the customer :).

Engine is nearly back together, Monday for sure, hopefully it's a runner a week from today!

We worked a lot on the engine this past week, and it's nearly together.

Installed a new set of dampers and screws in the clutch basket. Good kit, good instructions. Clutch basket fingers were in good condition, and frankly so were the fiber plates and springs. Did replace the fibers with new, you know, WHILE WE'RE THERE. Clutch is good to go.

Drilled and tapped the cam chain tensioner adjustment passages for the 8mm screws, and once those were all tidied up we reassembled the head, using the excellent viton valve stem seals.

Drilled the primary chain oiler to oil the long cam chain...

Ground out the shifter arm a skosh:

Sprayed my head and base gaskets with the Permatex copper sealant:

Installed new primary shaft dampers sourced from J.R. at CBX-tras:

Installed the uprated oil pump that was rebuilt and blueprinted, plus an uprated pickup screen and the oil plate for use with the oil cooler and sump.

Replaced the big end and crank bearings, installed the primary chain tensioner, transmission, new engine oil seals:

And with that done, we put the lower crankcase half on, bolted it all up to finish the sump.

Flipped 'er over, installed the cylinder studs, and orings, and started on the top end.

Installed new Honda brushes in the generator cover, tidied up the stator wires and grommet, cleaned up the slip rings and a little bit of rust on the rotor, and checked the rotor resistance at 4.5 ohms, good to go.

Installed a modified R6 starter clutch, perfect fit and operation. Installed the advancer and ignition rotor.

Skinned the starter mostly to clean and inspect it, found the brushes good. Cleaned up the commutator and grooves, cleaned out the carbon dust and lubed the bushings at both ends, renewed all the electrical contacts, replaced the seal, gaskets and orings, and put it back together. Bench tested good with a battery, good to go.

Installed the 900F cams (thanks again Z3R0!) and set the valve clearances on the bench, with a run to the Honda shop to swap some shims.

Installed the generator rotor, shifter, then the clutch:

Installed the big-bore 65mm pistons and rings:

Installed the ignition pickups and tidied its wires, cleaned and cemented the grommet with Hondabond.

Coaxed the gasket over the studs and installed the cylinders, then the head, and torqued it down carefully, using reannealed copper crush washers. Installed the starter.

Installed the AHM style guide and a set of Vince and Hyde cam chain tensioners and guide, along with one of his silent Morse "A" chains, and have a new "B" chain in hand too. Prepared to do battle with installing the cam chain sprocket on Monday morning, then will reinstall the cams and button up the last of the engine, and get ready to put it back in the bike.

And that is where we are at with the engine and the bike for now. Hope to hear it bark next week.

I love these bikes and this highly detailed hotrod. NICE!!! Looks like you know plenty of "hot setups" to these motors too.

jimmer said:
I love these bikes and this highly detailed hotrod. NICE!!! Looks like you know plenty of "hot setups" to these motors too.

Jimmer, thanks! I am relying very heavily on the experience of the crew on the F site, including some guys that have raced and built these things since they were new. Those guys have "pulled my fat from the fire" several times on this build already.

CarbsAndCylinders said:
I like that engine stand too, any complaints about it?

None whatsoever. This is the first time using it and I am a big fan. I whacked off a couple of lengths of allthread to mount it up and cut an old innertube to put under the washers to protect the new paint. Works perfectly, spins as needed, protects the painted engine, makes things easier. Not super cheap at $175 or thereabouts, but if mine got stolen, I'd buy another :).

Here it is at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Metric-Engine-Stand-37-9352/dp/B000GV3DSE#Ask

Great work mate. There's a certain commonality to builds around the 1100F site isn't there? All the performance upgrades and goodies pop-up all over the place. Your build echoes most of the work I've done on my 1100 apart from the R6 starter clutch swap.
I like the vapour blasting finish you've achieved on those footpeg plates too. I must look in to that one day.

Look forward to seeing it together.

Back
Top Bottom