Gessica

D

Dwayne

I need to stay off of ebay. I was cruising around on it yesterday evening when I stumbled onto the frame of a 1980 GS450E. I bought it for the sum of $52.27 + $125 shipping.

I had just turned 16 years old in October of 1980 when I bought my very first motorcycle with my own hard owned money... a 1980 GS450E that I picked up for $2000. It had 2014 miles on the odometer, came with a maroon paint scheme and cast wheels. It was love at first sight.

When my parents, my younger sister and I moved out to Oklahoma City a few months later in December, I was weary of moving. My dad's career took him from one place to the next. He never found his pot of gold. I started attending my 13th school at the end of 1980. No friends and everyone was a stranger. Of all the places to end up, I never imagined it would be Oklahoma (I'm originally from Canada). I worked at a local grocery store putting in 40 hours to help out with family finances. Half my earnings went to my parents to keep us alive. I was also attending high school full time. High school was a prison of torment... my interest in girls was constant but I was too shy to ever talk to one.

God knows how lonely I was during those teenage years. I'd wait for my folks to head to bed on many evenings after I had put in a full day of school and work and hop on my bike... often around midnight... and go ride for a few hours before exhaustion would force me to head home and get some sleep.

In the fall of '82 I began my senior year of high school. A few weeks later my love was stolen. Never to be seen again. :'(

I'm now 52 years old. I'm going back to the 80's for as long as I can before my Maker decides my time is up.

It'll be a slow build. I'm not sure if I'll do a full restoration or a facsimile of the bike I had 35 years ago.

Attachments

• Gessica1.jpg
    Gessica1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,018
+1 with dugsgms I would go for the 35 year old look and complete the memory ime in bud always here for Q&A's (for what its worth )haha. ime just starting work on a 79 gs550E another first so may steal some idea's mate .

I used to live in Oklahoma myself. I wouldn't mind going back there and riding on those roads again, city life isn't as enjoyable as an empty road. Then again OKC is no picnic for a rider.

Back
Top Bottom