New CL100 Owner

trek97 said:
still running the old stock flasher and bulbs I presume?

I haven't touched them, so that's my guess. I was going to try a new relay. Do you think it'd help, or are the old bulbs part of the problem?

trek97 said:
Oh yea, and smear a little grease on the rubbers and side cover snapper things. It really helped w removal and install of mine.

I sprayed some WD40 on the grommets, but grease sounds better. I'll do it. The PO already cracked the left-side cover. That's something I need to fix ASAP or it's going to get worse. I intend to squeeze a little plastic epoxy into the crack along its length, let it set, then lay some fiberglass patch down on the back to make it solid.

fresh flasher couldnt hurt. the bulbs are probably just fine as is.

Both my covers were cracked bad! One corver was completely busted off the impossible to get Right side.

I drilled a small hole (1/16th in drill bit) at the ends of the cracks. Drilling the hole will stop cracks from getting worse. The hole has to be at the very end of the crack. I roughed the shit out of them w the course dremel sanding wheel. Then used "Plastic Welder" two part epoxy from Advance Auto. So far theyve been great. I regret not getting any shots of that fix. But I can get a pic of the ugly backsides if you want to see.

Also, the stock paint wiped right off the covers clean and easy using Acetone or laquor thinner. No sanding at all.

I loaded the backside w the epoxy. I wanted that stuff to be heavy enough it actually had its own strength.

Thanks, those are great tips. Normally, I'd drill a hole at the end of the crack, too, but in this case I think the fiberglass backing will stop it from spreading. I'm also trying to avoid painting for the time being. My hope is the epoxy will bind the two sides together well enough that the crack becomes mostly invisible. It's worth a shot.

Another weird electrical issue I'm having is the headlight doesn't come on unless I switch to the high beam. If I then switch to low, it stays on, though at the same intensity. Last night it was working more as I'd expect, for a while, but there also wasn't any difference between the high and low beam. A new headlight is probably in order, and I should take a look at the switch.

iatethepeach said:
Another weird electrical issue I'm having is the headlight doesn't come on unless I switch to the high beam. If I then switch to low, it stays on, though at the same intensity. Last night it was working more as I'd expect, for a while, but there also wasn't any difference between the high and low beam. A new headlight is probably in order, and I should take a look at the switch.

They sometimes have issues w/ ground connections(the handlebar switches ground to the top triple,etc.)on those signals.The frame is a 'common ground point' for them sometimes so make sure the 'path' is clean for return to frame ground.I think you might take apart the handlebar switches for a 'rehab' w/ fresh dialectric grease and clean the connections inside there,etc.
Real Nice CL100 ! 8) isn't that the first year they came out w/ that model? Nice. if it was me I'd find a small piece of sheet metal and make a little patch for your exhaust leak too:braze,etc.
That oem exhaust is really Very Nice 8)

Thanks, those are great tips. In addition to cleaning the switches, I might try running a ground wire to them directly, to see if that's the issue.

The pipe is pretty on these bikes. I haven't had time to deal with mine, but I'm planning on turning it over to a pro in a couple weeks. There's also a bit of corrosion where the shield clamps to it, not surprisingly. Hopefully the worst of it is that hole up front near the bend.

Yeah! I did another 100 back-road miles today. What a blast! About 20 were on dirt, which the scrambler devoured like the raging tiger it is. Haha. It was a great ride.

4fFwCrE.jpg

7knThdV.jpg

I was worried the needle jet would wiggle itself loose again, but it didn't. They probably just forgot to tighten it at the factory. Unfortunately, the top cap of the carb kept vibrating off. No matter how much I tightened it, as soon as I'd bring the engine RPM up it'd unscrew itself. For the first half of the ride I had to reach over with my left hand and tighten it back down every few minutes. Not cool. When I stopped at my mom and dad's house for lunch, I wrapped duct tape around the cap and slide housing. That put an end to it. As much as I feel like a hillbilly riding around with duct tape holding my carb together, it was nice not having to worry about floating the valves when I pulled in the clutch. I'll call Wincycle on Tuesday and talk to them about it.

The only other issue was that one of the rear signal lenses dropped off at some point during the trip. Or it might have happened yesterday and I just didn't notice. In Loctite we trust.

So much for carrying a full set of tools around. I'm chilling with my gf contemplating tomorrow's ride!

You can't beat the 'fun factor' on vintage Honda CB100 & 125's,also the gas mileage.I have an 81' CB125S and love it ;D

100 miles! wow dude that is freakin awesome.
Sorry to hear bout the carb top...glad the duct tape is working!

lovin the goats checking you out! haha

I just saw a full set of turns for sale on here the other day for like $5 bucks or so, maybe.

Nice! I wish I had 20 miles of dirt road around here to scramble on.

My '75 125 has the same problem with the blinkers. I've always assumed it's been a flasher problem.

With these small 6vt. batteries and 40+ yr. old wiring/connections,etc. we need to make sure All the connections are 100% along w/ having a battery that's fully charged.I've had to spend extra time making all my connections shiny,even the bulb sockets & bulbs.

I just got back from putting another 100 miles on the CL. Today my gf was competing in a horse show so I figured I'd take the scrambler and cheer her on.

8YkQXcO.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the roads in that part of the state, so I had to spend quite a bit of time on the highway to make it to the event on time. It was a mix of two and four-lane. None of the roads were posted over 55, but most were at least 45, and all were hilly. The bike didn't have too much trouble keeping up with traffic except on the steepest long uphills, where I couldn't quite maintain 55. The gearbox misses a lot of down-shifts, though. If it were smoother I'd spend less time between gears. I really want to fix that (it's dangerous at intersections, too- first is occasionally unreachable and I'm left coasting in neutral with an impatient car-driver behind me). My top speed on the trip was an indicated 65, which I hit twice on slight downhills when there was no other traffic in either direction. The bike is surprisingly steady at speed. It's not exactly comfortable, but it's not too bad. I was expecting it to be terrifying.

DXxLE8d.jpg

Country roads are much more fun, though. I took off before 8 this morning, and thanks to the holiday, all the roads leading to the first stretch of highway were completely empty. That was a blast. I didn't get any dirt in but I plan to hit some tomorrow on my way to the dealer to get my new lens cover (if they have them in stock). Oh yeah, and some new packing bands for the pipe. The front cracked, leaving that pretty heat shield rattling. Fortunately, I caught it before it loosened up enough to fall off the bike.

eAhhv3k.jpg

grcamna5 said:
You can't beat the 'fun factor' on vintage Honda CB100 & 125's,also the gas mileage.

They're remarkably fun. The lightness and nimbleness is spectacular. I haven't recorded my mileage but I can't wait to see what I'm getting.

trek97 said:
Ok $10 bucks...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67442.0

Thanks for the tip. I already bought a new set of gaskets so I'm just going to pick up the lens and a couple screws. According to the parts fiche, they shouldn't run more than $7 or $8. Not too bad considering it was a learning experience.

grcamna5 said:
With these small 6vt. batteries and 40+ yr. old wiring/connections,etc. we need to make sure All the connections are 100% along w/ having a battery that's fully charged.I've had to spend extra time making all my connections shiny,even the bulb sockets & bulbs.

Words of wisdom. I'm going to start cleaning and replacing stuff piecemeal, with the expectation that it all needs to be upgraded.

The good news is the charging system seems to be working well. I've been riding everywhere with the headlight on.

trek97 said:
How did they do at the show?

She was showing a friend's horse (she showed her horse yesterday). It's athletic but it can be a bit of a basket-case, so I think she was happy just to keep it under control and finish in the top half of her class.

iatethepeach said:
Words of wisdom. I'm going to start cleaning and replacing stuff piecemeal, with the expectation that it all needs to be upgraded.

The good news is the charging system seems to be working well. I've been riding everywhere with the headlight on.

If it ever does start acting up, cutting out. Try turning the headlight off. Mine started doing that all of a sudden. Turned the light off and she smoothed right out. Back on again and started cutting out. I installed a left over led in the headlight. No more issues.

Back
Top Bottom