"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

Then I noticed that the new tubes that had been removed by the "ace" tyre fitter had the front one pinched and punctured.

Then I remembered that "Union Jack" [ from Israel ] had sent me a small gift of a local puncture repair kit.

How appropriate that I should fix the tube with that !

Thanx Lior

Trying to keep the momentum going now, as I know there'll be a delay while I'm waiting for the Gold Passivating. :'(

Cush drive back [ correct colour ! ] and assembled with new bearing and seal. Also some small parts back from PC's in Satin Black.

I started fitting the bearings for the rear wheel, then realised I'm having to wait for the spacer to come back from Passivating - yes I KNOW you can't see it inside the hub !! ::)

Front mudguard fettled and primered - final flat and then experiment with the colour [ STILL don't know !

I got the side panels cut by AC last weekend - spot on, just a final fit and fettle and it's work out how to make the fixings.

Seat base and mudguard flatted and primed again - final hit with 400 wet and dry tomorrow and I'm satisfied we're ready for top coat.

The tank's had a couple more skims of filler and the shape is pretty well there - final shaping and then that's ready for the primer process.

I've ordered a litre of "True Yellow" to try out - we'll see.

The motor is booked in for a commercial steam clean in two week's time, then I can get my pal on with the Weber manifold.

Rear wheel bearings now fitted and waiting for the front ditto, then it's tyre fitting time.

Then ........... the front bearings are the wrong size ::) :'(- futtox.

New bearings ordered and then hopefully - tyres on.

The main passivating is really taking it's time due to the fact that my parts have to be "fitted in" to keep the price reasonable [ minimum charge ].

Once I have all the spindles and engine bolts back I can at least get the chassis rolling.

The yellow turned up, and I'm not happy with it ... no point rushing after all this time - I WILL get the right shade. ;)

Front wheel bearings arrived and thankfully - correct.

Being fitted tomorrow, then it's a swift check round and fit the tyres. 8)

beachcomber said:
Can't assemble the forks this weekend - so it's on with some detailing. Finalised the seat / under tray and the pattern for the side panels. Found the original GRP mudguard, and it was much better than I remembered ! ;D The PO had trimmed the front and rear curves - and managed to get them completely different side to side ! ::)Got that sorted and rubbed down, etch primed and primer filler.

Just needs a final flatting and prime, ready for top coat. The tank has been professionally cleaned and resealed against Ethanol on the inside by the PO - and the outside is remarkably free of dents and dings. So, I'll flat that back and prep along with the other "tins" ready for colour coat.

Final pattern - still maybe louvres at the back ! This is the curve the panel will take to follow the seat.

First primer coats [ after etch prime ]

Final flat and prep ready for final primer coat.

Under tray / electrics plate finalised - side panels will seal it all off. Note Facet electric fuel pump for the 40 DCOE Weber.

Oh I like that fuel pump..much better than the one on my supercharged KZ. Can it be regulated down to 1 psi?

HW -

It's a neat compact unit [ see pic ] the part # is Facet PRO243 - K.

There are NO specs on the instruction leaflet, but I bought it for low pressure Weber 40 DCOE [ for my KZ Flat Tracker ]. In the sales blurb it states - "from 1.5 > 4psi, flow rate 113 ltrs/hour - for engines up to 150 bhp". NO external adjustment.

Costs around £36 here in the UK.

We've used the relevant sized units for years on the Cobra and Jag replica road and race cars - always proved reliable.

The rolling chassis is not far away now [ says in the script ], so I decided to finish building the newly powder coated wheels [ new bearings, refurbed and painted parts ] so I can get the tyres fitted.

That was three days ago and approximately 3 hours of searching - for the "speedo retaining plate".

I knew when I got the bike the wheel wasn't the original one for the bike [ still a Kwacker ], so when I was rebuilding and checking the workshop manual - it didn't occur to me that this wheel might not have a speedo retaining plate !!!!!!!!!! And it hasn't - bollox. :mad:

Uses a different system [ simpler ] - so no plate required.

However, the 3 hours of searching in my none too tidy garage DID turn up parts that had gone awol for the next build to get back on with - the Vindicator Cafe Racer. The very expensive Duke rear lamp [ 1970's ], the rear sets, my new sprockets [ !! ], and a few parts I would have been searching another 3 hours for. ::)

Tyres fitted and wheels balanced - NO scratches !! £20 well spent.

I'll get the hub / spindles trial assembled next - all the parts have been cleaned and painted.

All comes to a grinding halt again next week as we're off for our Summer chill break to Saxony ............ oh well, I'll just have to put up with all that Saxon beer and food for 2 weeks - it's a hard life.

beachcomber said:
Tyres fitted and wheels balanced - NO scratches !! £20 well spent.

I'll get the hub / spindles trial assembled next - all the parts have been cleaned and painted.

All comes to a grinding halt again next week as we're off for our Summer chill break to Saxony ............ oh well, I'll just have to put up with all that Saxon beer and food for 2 weeks - it's a hard life.

The women in your family are very handsome Beach... I have to beg you to consider a second tail option... Sorry mate, but the tracker tail is hideous on a KZ.

TAF ........... too late on the seat, I've now cut and shaped the one off side panels and had the upholstery made [ being made as we speak ]!!

The newly media blasted discs have been painted [ centres ] this PM as I'm trying to get as many odds and sods done before I go away. I even painted the Black balance weights Gold to match the wheels - yes I know - anal.

Thanx for the compliments on my girls - Shelby and Holly [ who said I was a car nut !] After a long personal and business association with Shelby, he became Godfather to my Shelby.

Must get the looks from Mrs. B !!!! [ Brains from me though ]

Here she is at LeMans with Pete Brock and Bob Bondurant - Shelby was nursing a hangover [ Carroll that is ] !!!

Legends and beauty with a pair of classic hot rods... It's no wonder why the sky is also perfect!

That week [ LeMans ] was unreal - we [ RAM ] supplied the pre-race cavalcade Cobra reps for "the boys" which was supported by 15 of the RAM/Bardahl Trophy race cars [ Cob reps ].

Originally we were asked to put on a race with the Trophy rep cars, but the "one-make" rule tyre suppliers cried off as they would not guarantee their tyres flat out down the Mulsanne Straight for 5 laps !! I won't mention their name to save their blushes. I even got to do a few laps - one on my own [ driving the RAM Trophy race car ] as a camera car [ French TV ] following Shelby on a "hot" lap filming him.

See the relevant Tale for details of the "raid" .....yes CC it was awesome.

So - collected my "Gold" Passivating today.............. no, looks bright fucking Zinc coloured to me as well. ::) :mad:

Can't complain [ out loud anyway ] as it was a freebie.

My pal was having a load of BMW K100 /1100 progressive fork springs GOLD passivated. The guy does the passivating in batches and charges per batch. So I took my stuff along at the same time to take advantage of the bulk price.

"I'll do your stuff for nothing as a thank you for all the work you bring me" quoth the man " and put it in with the springs".

Absolutely - WTF ........................ ::)

yep, that's not even silver... fuhkin looks like tin rattle can paint and a shitty job at that ???

A bit more progress today - swingarm pre-assembled together with rear wheel and spindle - wanted to make sure all the parts were there [ 3 years this Dec since I pulled it apart ! ::)] and still fitted after the powder coating. All OK.

Cables all stripped cleaned oiled and reassembled ready for installation.

The engine's had another squirt over with Gunk to loosen all the crud before I jet wash it. front wheel fully assembled and ready to fit.

I stripped the rear caliper and fortunately it came apart OK [ unlike the front which is fucked ], so just need a seal kit and we're GTG.

The fork top nuts were beyond salvation - threads gone.

On a good note, the Yellow paint arrived today. I'm doing my Vanguard Estate Hot Rod in Yellow so in the end I just went for a colour - Zinc Yellow. It's SPOT ON, really.

It'll work on the Vanguard as well so I'll order another 2.5 litres as it was on special offer [ 40% off ]

And here's what a Vanguard Estate looks like !

1955 and apart from the surface corrosion - virtually no structural rust in the panels.

16" x 8" Jag wheels fit under arches [ spats at the back ].

Back
Top Bottom