Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

der_nanno said:
Many years ago, I used a stick welder and stainless rods as it is easier to build up a weld in a straight line.
Thank you for feeling my pain :)

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

Can't you just mount the rotor over that shortened pg/pin and tighten the center bolt? Or if it moves, position it, bolt it down and then drill another hole through both rotor and crank end and insert a new pin in the new hole.

If you weld on the crank nose, there's a high probability of destroying any electronics on the bike as well as the possibility of destroying bearings unless you are lucky and ground it from the crank end. Even then the chances are not good of electronics making it out the other side in one piece.

Success!!!

After a long long day of bringing my welder from the basement to the ground floor then welding a dot on the crank and mounting the camchain the machine runs very well and starts easily.

I used some stainless wire and welded a dot onto the crank.
All electrical parts were disconnected. No battery.

1 hour of trying to extract that pin was without success.

A good friend helped me with mounting the new cam chain.
We split the old chain by grinding off the metal ends and then used a driver to drive the axles out then hung the old and new chain together with some stainless welding wire. Then we pulled the chain trough without turning the engine over which was set to TDC for cylinder 1.
Then we set the crankshafts connected the chain and used a hammer and good hammer as a backing and 'chiseled' the chain with exact punches.
Then I buttoned it up made a test ride and reset the ignition with the flashing light.
The bike runs very nice new.
There is a different noise now which stems from I think a loose screw on the chassis. I will look after that soon.

The bike pulls hard now and sounds amazing.
The idle is smooth.
d5c8ef062b007ccbd2a9559d3cd45834.jpg
de5d5f3849d886814e42a0f635a0a34b.jpg
b9eecd7b75d17e86efedec019b418747.jpg
09f6258500f2b824b299cd0c6d29915a.jpg
c118ac6e22fa301e59f9e2a582fb0d4e.jpg
ba8c3aea696be09fe4adabc8b2a9adf9.jpg
1b77b292ea653c637909516c03f73967.jpg
69e661a9e73084c857c3e6dddc264c6f.jpg

Here is a little video of the first test ride.
I'm really happy with the result.
Since I cannot hear the cam chain anymore there is a different noise that I cannot locate.
The primary chain is also new and doesn't hit the inside of the cases.
Do you guys can identify this noise?
You can hear it in the last seconds of the video the best!

https://youtu.be/Vebr37EBtSk

Wow, 20 pages since I last visited and all good stuff. Sorry, Can’t help on the video but sounds a little louder than standard valve-train mechanical noise. How’s oil pressure?

My 79 lost charging, traced it back to a coil with no continuity from the plug. Is this common? I assumed it was the R/R too, the previous owner did a little hack job on the left side with auxiliary lighting so hopefully I can clean it up soon. Can you test the stator itself, pulled the cover off and appears clean?

Sat all last summer from my wife deciding to get knocked up twice, fired up second kick but no charge to the new battery. ‍♂️

Edit, buttoned it all back together and now I have continuity between all 1-2-3-4 white wires. Might just light a spark and get insurance, don’t have time to think about a phantom short or redoing the harness.

Where do I go with the new rectifier and regulator? With nothing plugged in on that side, everything works(lights, ignition, starter) except the charging system. This has an igniter unit so I guess I own an SE special.

Sorry about the mess, any assistance appreciated as I am limited with time to troubleshoot. Trying to get this bike ready to sell, motor has a little port work singing through triple MAC long-tubes to single megaphone. I’m an engineer so logic is my thing, not electrical schematics. The last owner cut out a plug going to the white coil wires so I’m constantly blowing fuses trying to test and check where this eBay xs750 R/R connects, I confirmed the OEM unit was blown. Edit- I previously tested the new R/R while running, there was minimal A/C voltage between the white wires which is typically a stator failure.

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 29F31A67-0BFC-4D42-A5A1-4CEBF44E34B6.jpeg
    29F31A67-0BFC-4D42-A5A1-4CEBF44E34B6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 181
  • E87B1A1A-E0C8-4E71-98D2-91347C67D614.jpeg
    E87B1A1A-E0C8-4E71-98D2-91347C67D614.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 189
  • 6187BAF6-41A6-4D6F-BDEB-D680DBB2B91F.jpeg
    6187BAF6-41A6-4D6F-BDEB-D680DBB2B91F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 185

Garc said:
Where do I go with the new rectifier and regulator? With nothing plugged in on that side, everything works(lights, ignition, starter) except the charging system. This has an igniter unit so I guess I own an SE special.

Sorry about the mess, any assistance appreciated as I am limited with time to troubleshoot. Trying to get this bike ready to sell, motor has a little port work singing through triple MAC long-tubes to single megaphone. I’m an engineer so logic is my thing, not electrical schematics. The last owner cut out a plug going to the white coil wires so I’m constantly blowing fuses trying to test and check where this eBay xs750 R/R connects, I confirmed the OEM unit was blown. Edit- I previously tested the new R/R while running, there was minimal A/C voltage between the white wires which is typically a stator failure.

Thanks,
Tim
Garc said:
Wow, 20 pages since I last visited and all good stuff. Sorry, Can’t help on the video but sounds a little louder than standard valve-train mechanical noise. How’s oil pressure?

My 79 lost charging, traced it back to a coil with no continuity from the plug. Is this common? I assumed it was the R/R too, the previous owner did a little hack job on the left side with auxiliary lighting so hopefully I can clean it up soon. Can you test the stator itself, pulled the cover off and appears clean?

Sat all last summer from my wife deciding to get knocked up twice, fired up second kick but no charge to the new battery.

Edit, buttoned it all back together and now I have continuity between all 1-2-3-4 white wires. Might just light a spark and get insurance, don’t have time to think about a phantom short or redoing the harness.
Please do not hijack my thread open a new thread for your problem I'll be delighted to help there.

Garc said:

Sat all last summer from my wife deciding to get knocked up twice, fired up second kick but no charge to the new battery.

And you had nothing to do with your wife getting knocked up not once but twice in a year i presume?

Data did you watch the video of my XS? Could you tell where this sound is coming from?

I usually need a screwdriver and put it to my ear.. will have a look and listen..
Edit: couldnt make anything out on the phone really.. sounds like its not running on all three.

Apologies OP, I’ll start a thread if nobody PM’s me.

You’re right data, it takes two to tango but only one set of stairs to end a pregnancy...

Garc said:
Apologies OP, I’ll start a thread if nobody PM’s me.

You’re right data, it takes two to tango but only one set of stairs to end a pregnancy...
sick man

OK had a chat with a good friend in Germany and he advised me to make the same video with the bike not standing on the sidestand.
The bike is ready for the season. I want to build next an aluminium plenum for the carburetors with a integrated oil catch can... Will take a while... Many projects
I will also switch to 20w50 oil for less engine noise.

The bike is off the road again....

A #### screw is stuck on my tire. Looks like a drywall screw....
Happy that the tire deflated slowly and I wasn't driving fast... Stay safe guys!

I guess I need to remove the rear tire drain the kardan again...
Is the little hole made by the screw repairable and just replace the pneu on the inside or would you guys shell out for a new tire? The tire is brand new....

Thanks guys...

dad12059e09de25a834bc30825d0fc43.jpg

I have plugged tires. I know a lot of guys will say just replace the tire, that you will die, the world will explode, a volcano will suddenly appear in Vienna and burn the city down, but I have had no issues plugging a tire from a simple puncture like that. A tear is another story, but a puncture, no problem. If it's sidewall, I would also also say no go, but I have the impression we are not talking sidewall. In fact, when I brought my BMW home, the PO ran both tires with Slime, because it has Lester mags which are notorious for losing their seal around the beads from oxidation. Who knows how long he ran them that way, but I know it was for quite a while.

irk miller said:
I have plugged tires. I know a lot of guys will say just replace the tire, that you will die, the world will explode, a volcano will suddenly appear in Vienna and burn the city down, but I have had no issues plugging a tire from a simple puncture like that. A tear is another story, but a puncture, no problem. If it's sidewall, I would also also say no go, but I have the impression we are not talking sidewall. In fact, when I brought my BMW home, the PO ran both tires with Slime, because it has Lester mags which are notorious for losing their seal around the beads from oxidation. Who knows how long he ran them that way, but I know it was for quite a while.
Thank you irk.
Safety is of course a concern but my budget too... Shelling out another 140 euros for my back tire. No.
I will post a pic later of the screw... It's not sidewall it's not straight in the middle but in one of the 'deep' parts of the thread...
Hope that there's nobody around that messes with my walrus and puts screws in my tire.#paranoiaoff#

New tyre, especially if you're running a tube anyway? B*llsh*t.

(Unless you have shares in Metzeler/Pirelli, then of course you have to buy all new tyres for all your vehicles, including your aunt's car.)

Seriously, just fix the tube with a puncture kit and refit it.

Any suggestions on the slime?
Just found these sets on Amazon and eBay...
9ec104ea132ae3889694728f9dc8e19f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom