Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

I had to step away from the CB for a bit to work on some other customer projects, but now I'm back in it for the duration.

I had to change up some things on the exhaust, and make my own slip-collector. It's just about done and I think it's looking pretty sweet.

I also pulled the tins and dropped them off at the painter. Here is a little concept sketch I did while coming up with the color scheme.

Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

I thought that I'd share a few pics from a recent customer project. The customer sent me the headlamp, tach, switch and triple clamps. He asked that I make him a mount for everything with a half fairing, and a "mechanical" look. He wanted it mounted to the triple camp. I did a quick concept sketch for him to approve and then made it from aluminum. Not really my style, but I think it came out pretty cool.

Wicked work on the nacelle! Normally, I am not a fan of the projector beam headlights like those, but your design brings it all together beautifully.

Your slip on looks sweet as well. Did you get the springs with the clips as well?

Zweihammer said:
Wicked work on the nacelle! Normally, I am not a fan of the projector beam headlights like those, but your design brings it all together beautifully.

Your slip on looks sweet as well. Did you get the springs with the clips as well?

Thanks. I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if I have springs for the muffler also? Currently I don't. I'm considering welding the muffler the collector because I don't want too many slip joints in such a small section.

That headlight went to a friend of mine. Really excellent workmanship. I don't know if you're on instagram or not, but if you are make sure to stop by his posts and mention it's your work, since he failed to.

jag767 said:
That headlight went to a friend of mine. Really excellent workmanship. I don't know if you're on instagram or not, but if you are make sure to stop by his posts and mention it's your work, since he failed to.

Thanks man. And thanks for the heads up. I am on Instagram. What's his username?

A quick update.
With the exhaust finished, the bike is torn down for paint and polishing. The tins are at the painters, and everything else gets bead blasted in house and painted. I was going to powder coat the frame and components, but the stamped frame made me nervous. With all its little nooks I worry that the powder coater will miss some tiny spots and it will rust shortly down the road. Once powder coat starts rusting it's hard to fix. I always feel that paint can be sanded and touched up easily.
The engine was showing low compression in the left cylinder, so the top end was torn down. The bike only had 3,000 miles and the internals show it. Everything looks great, except for a sticky ring. It doesn't look like the engine was ran at all with the ring like that, as there is no carbon in the grooves. It probably just sat for years with a little old fuel in the cylinder.

Great read. I tried my hand at metal shaping recently, definitely one of those things that you can't pick up right away and get it done. Takes so much patience and feel to know how the metal will move under pressure. Really respect the fab work you've done here. And that steampunk headlight is badass.

adventurco said:
Great read. I tried my hand at metal shaping recently, definitely one of those things that you can't pick up right away and get it done. Takes so much patience and feel to know how the metal will move under pressure. Really respect the fab work you've done here. And that steampunk headlight is badass.

Thank you, it's always cool to hear that someone appreciates your hard work.

Metal shaping is something that I've been working on little by little for years. I would practice a technique here and there, and then I finally got to go work with master which helped bring it all together. A lot of people see a master shaper on tv and think that it's easy, because a master makes it look easy. It requires a serious understanding of the craft to get good results. I'll be learning for the rest of my life haha.

If you ever have any questions or anything I could help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom