learning to 'stripe

7aliveatlast7

the bearded hessian
so i've got a graffiti thread in this section already, but i also took up pinstriping about a month ago as well. i'm enjoying it, but dang is it hard! been an artist all my life, but pinstriping is a whole new ball game. here's one i did last night, the first one i did that i actually like enough to show someone other than just my wife, haha.

405740318.jpg

i need to start using a "graph," as my symmetry needs some work. still working on my line control as well, especially maintaining thickness throughout and curving to the left, ha! there are definitely some elements that i wish i didn't do on this one, and i'm sure you'll all notice them, but live and learn i guess!

Graff influences are there. The stroke width and design are both solid, and with a few days of polishing your skills you'll pump this shit out in no time. I personally don't care for the art style in the least though- pinstripes are notorious for being on the back of lifted murdered Chevy avalanches packed with trashy people. Idk if its just Fort Worth hahaha

1981 CB750K (a bunch of parts in boxes)

This is something I've been wanting to pick up myself but seems like something you'd have to practice on a very regular basis to keep sharp on your skills. That piece looks cool and most people with an untrained eye for art would most likely never pick up on the flaws in that piece because there is so much goin on with the colors and lines…I think I would probably start with less intricate pieces so that the flaws are easier to pick up on and kinda push you to do better each time. I think I'll pick up some daggers and give it a whirl.

kraptastic k said:
I personally don't care for the art style in the least though- pinstripes are notorious for being on the back of lifted murdered Chevy avalanches packed with trashy people. Idk if its just Fort Worth hahaha

i can see how that would put a bad taste in your mouth for it, haha. to me though, it's reminiscent of rat rods, bobbers, and just a simpler, classic time. probably not just fort worth, though :)

VonYinzer said:
Very nice. Make sure to practice on all different shaped objects...

got a harley peanut tank waiting to get practiced on!

forcefanajd said:
This is something I've been wanting to pick up myself but seems like something you'd have to practice on a very regular basis to keep sharp on your skills. That piece looks cool and most people with an untrained eye for art would most likely never pick up on the flaws in that piece because there is so much goin on with the colors and lines…I think I would probably start with less intricate pieces so that the flaws are easier to pick up on and kinda push you to do better each time. I think I'll pick up some daggers and give it a whirl.

it DEFINITELY needs to be practiced regularly, though i confess i have not been disciplined in that. however, with regular practice, it does come. i saw vids of a 15 year old kid who practiced every day for 5 months, and he was turning out some real sick work. so with some patience, it's attainable! not that my novice recommendations mean much, but i'm using mack 10 series brushes and a kafka scroller.

JSJamboree said:
Ide be happy to rock work of that magnitude on something of mine. Looks good man

get at me in a few months, i'd love to have my stuff riding around on some tanks and helmets!

7aliveatlast7 said:
get at me in a few months, i'd love to have my stuff riding around on some tanks and helmets!

Ill take ya up on that. I have a brand new full face in black that's boring as hell amd could use some color. Let us know whem you're ready.

VonYinzer said:
Ill take ya up on that. I have a brand new full face in black that's boring as hell amd could use some color. Let us know whem you're ready.

that's good reason for me to keep practicing! will do!

here's my first attempt on something that's not completely flat. i've had this sportster tank laying around for a while, so i figured i'd give it a shot. real simple, just trying to work out the kinks on my basic skills. i'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though i mixed the white a little too thin for my liking. it's not quite bold enough. and obviously, i still need work on my symmetry, line consistency, and need to erase my graph, haha.

405795379.jpg

7aliveatlast7 said:
...and obviously, i still need work on my symmetry, line consistency...

That's a lifetime pursuit - fun to watch your progress. Hope you'll keep sharing, as it looks like you have a keen eye for design. Always fun to see someone having fun with brushes.

Back
Top Bottom