Cb360 fork rebuild problems.

ryan_289

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my front forks. I cant get the Allen bolt at the bottom of the tube to break loose. I've watched the common motor videos and I've tried to hammer a socket wrapped in tape into the other end but I cant get a bite. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's been so long, but if I remember right, I pounded a tapered broom handle in from the top and put it into a vice by the handle, then pounded the screw out with a manual impact driver and a 3lb sledge like one of these...

209-2__32971.1479322975.500.659.jpg

I used an electric impact wrench, guess its the impact thats critical?

Steve

I have significantly better luck with the manual ones, honestly. But, is your issue that it won't break loose or that it's spinning free?

ryan_289 said:
Its spinning free.

In that case, you need to improve your tool going in through the top of fork tube. This damper rod is what your dealing with...

index.php

The tapered end is where the screw is you're trying to remove. The flanged end has a hole. You're trying to get something that's tapered tight enough in that hole that it will hold enough to break the screw loose. I've used threaded rod with a shock bushing sandwiched between two bolts and two washers about 2 inches above the end of the rod. You want the OD of the shock bushing the same as the ID of the fork tube. this keeps the threaded rod centered inside the tube. The threaded rod is tapered at that end like a really long nail. I pound the threaded rod hard into the tube so that jams into that damper rod really well and holds tight.

Hammer impact did the trick on both. Another question.
It appears someone swapped a fork tube at some point. One is slightly different than the other. The older one has some slight pitting that didn't polish off with a scotch brite pad. Will this destroy my new fork seal?
ed2d265228209cdc35b47d354a4407a2.jpg
1b0c87b3237d06d8d20932c4f54cff14.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep. You could try spraying down the pitted area, sweating' out any oil, use two part epoxy to fill in pits then cut/scrape/polish back to smooth. You may also get lucky if there is anywhere 'local' that repairs hydraulic cylinders, often they can replate rod and grind to size. Does anyone know if 'Forking By Frank' is still in business? I had heard they closed down 3~4 yrs ago

Yep. You could try spraying down the pitted area, sweating' out any oil, use two part epoxy to fill in pits then cut/scrape/polish back to smooth. You may also get lucky if there is anywhere 'local' that repairs hydraulic cylinders, often they can replate rod and grind to size. Does anyone know if 'Forking By Frank' is still in business? I had heard they closed down 3~4 yrs ago
I heard that Franks was still open last winter. http://franksforks.com/

Just used the Emgo's on a build in the shop. Great quality and they worked great. PM us if you need info on them!

Back
Top Bottom