GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog - Finished.

Mad Ratter

GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog
So, here goes. Down here in Middle Earth (New Zealand) there is not the choice that some of you guys get, being a population of only 4 million. So I was looking for an XS650 to start with, but prices were getting silly, even for dog rough ones and not a lot of choice, so a quick look on Craigslist found a beaut in NH that I could get a friend to ship for me, but it would take weeks, possibly months to get here. I couldn't wait, I needed a project now!, so a look on our very own NZ Trademe site found this sad looking GS550, a deal was struck over the phone (as it was a 5 hour drive away) and went and picked it up, then realising I had paid probably twice as much as what it was worth, ho hum, nevermind.

The plan was to get it going, tidy it up a bit and make it look nice, hack all the junk off it, new seat, paint etc etc, you know how it goes, right? Set my budget, off I went. Well, next day it was pretty much dismantled, I could feel the budget slipping from my grasp already. Then I thought, oh what the hell, just do what you want to it and don't get the calculator out to see what I have wasted, sorry, spent on it. So now the gloves are off, no more Mr Nice Guy, etc, its gonna be what its gonna be and now the project is on!

Here she is as bought, a 1978 GS550 B or C not quite sure.
213632342_full.jpg

The tear down starts
IMG_3275.jpg

Hacked of the rear rails, added a loop, that I had to make it two pieces, (long story) kicked the loop up a bit, cut off the lower frame brackets either side.
IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

Aluminium seat base, stripped paint off tank, full of filler, so the raw steel look is out the window!
IMG_3355.jpg

GSX-R1100 rear sets, modified. mounted off the one of the original footpeg mounts and the other off the swingarm pivots, perfect fit and position for riding.
IMG_3399.jpg

I dislike the GS cast wheels, so the earlier spoke version was found, again, dog rough but will be powdered black rims and hubs with new shiney spokes :)
Engine being rebuilts, well top end anyway, pistons, rings, pins, clips, valves seals, gaskets etc etc. Ashley from Boulevard Suzuki has been a great help with the parts and shipping as the price here in NZ is horrendous!

Carbs rebuilt with kits from Jerry Cycles. Forks lowered internally by 50mm (2")
So here she is as of this weekend, seat ready for covering, frame 99% done, engine awaiting valve grind, been soda blasted and ready for paint. This stray dog is definately budget blown!

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

Any input, ideas, criticisms welcome, its my first build, can ya tell hahaha!

Re: GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog.

Clinedesign said:
Following this one. Can you show me the mount for the other side of your rearsets?

My GS550 project

Sure, what I did was drill the rearset plate 14mm (I think) to take the swingarm pivot and the retaining nut sits nicely in the counterbore. The other mount was where I had ground off the original gear linkage flush, then drilled and tapped M8, was a little tricky to get it square-ish. If you see what I mean. You'll need to space it a couple of mm too after its drilled so it sits flat.
IMG_3554.JPG

Have decided to go with more modern front brakes, SV650 calipers, have made up the mounting plates, made one from thin ally plate then machined the real ones from thicker plate milled down, still need a bit modification, but nearly there.
IMG_3555.JPG

Here's the real plates, with slight mods needed.
IMG_3545.JPG

Here is the seat, cut from high density foam, sanded smooth with an old grinding wheel on the angle grinder, then with thin foam stretched and glued over, gonna laminate 2 pieces of 4 or 5mm ply so that I can copy the kick in the tail, then get it covered.
IMG_3560.JPG

Underside of seat
IMG_3561.JPG

Today I ordered an engine bolt kit and a Dyna S Ignition from Z1 Enterprises, on that note, does anyone know if I can use this with the standard coils, or do I need "special" ones?

Yep! She is 99.9% finished this week and will be updating the build thread very soon with more pics etc, thanks for your interest ;D

Wow, you guys are eager!!

Ok, its been a long time since I last posted, been real busy, honest!

Its been a bit of an evolving project, I didn't really have a plan that was set in stone as to what look I wanted, I just knew it had to be simple, uncluttered and sleek. I got the engine painted black, I did toy with the idea of the barrels being silver and possibly the rocker cover, but in the end, it all went black, as did pretty much everything apart ftom the tank.
The various parts were powdercoated, including the wheels which were originally chrome, and added some nice new spokes, laced and trued them up (first time for me, that was a challenge!) Here's a few pics of all this.

The wheels before powdercoating and rebuilding
IMG_3743.JPG

Nice!
IMG_3770.JPG

Truing the wheels - patience required!!!!
IMG_3777.JPG

Wheels and frame ready for the motor!
IMG_3805.JPG

Nice new pistons and K&N's
IMG_3586.JPG

Had to revise the caliper mounts to a more substantial design
IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

Head after soda blasting
IMG_3616.JPG

Drilled out sprocket cover
IMG_3715.JPG

Heavily modified GSX-R1100 rearsets
IMG_3723.JPG

Front discs drilled on CNC machining center.
IMG_3725.JPG

Nice shot of the frame and new YSS rear shocks
IMG_3802.JPG

Motor back from the painters
IMG_3839.JPG

Rebuild time! with a beer of course :)
IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

Its a satin finish, but looks more gloss in this photo
IMG_3901.JPG

Its in the frame...tea and cookies this time :)
IMG_3906.JPG

The simple look
IMG_3911.JPG

Dyna S Ignition and Dyna coils
IMG_3932.JPG

New tyres fitted and first pics of it all starting to come together
IMG_3954.JPG

Numberplate bracket - home fabbed.
.facebook_1372031844.jpg

Carbs rebuilt
carbs1.jpg

Decided to go with a Supertrapp muffler
trapp1.jpg

I was given a Bonneville plastic mudguard, which, cut down served as both front and rear guards.
fmudguard.jpg

My mate came and wired everything pretty much from scratch using most of the origianl loom, thanks Paul, a bloody hero!!!!
paul_wiring.jpg

Its close to finished, a few things to do, have put chain and sprockets on now, just a few adjustments with carbs, some small part painting, and a different seat as the one I have didn't turn out as I wanted it, looks amazing but not the style I want, I am going for a quilted look and a higher side seam. This one would suit a Brat bike.
Here are a few photos of Stray Dog #1 next project is an XV920! :) Thank for your interest and welcome all and any comments, critics etc :)

Shame about the reflection in the tank, ha ha! I have included a coiple of HDR shots too, will post the fianl pics as soon as I am happy that she is finished :) Oh, and I may change the headlight as I think a larger one would bring it all more in proportion.

Straydog26.JPG

Straydog28.JPG

Straydog37.JPG

Straydog40.JPG

Straydog24.JPG

Straydog18.JPG

stray_dogHDR1.jpg

stray_dogHDR2.jpg

stray_dogHDR3.jpg

stray_dogHDR4.jpg

what a sweet bike!!

I'll be working tomorow on my GS550, with your bike in mind ;)

Fantastic project and realization...I keep in mind your ideas for my next bike....suzuki gsx 1100 '82.
I have only a problem....I don't find spoke wheels for this model and my mag wheels are no a good solution for a caferacer bike.
Any suggestions.
Ciao

From stray dog to Greyhound. What a great looking brat tracker. The engine looks excellent. Nice work

Gheps66 said:
Fantastic project and realization...I keep in mind your ideas for my next bike....suzuki gsx 1100 '82.
I have only a problem....I don't find spoke wheels for this model and my mag wheels are no a good solution for a caferacer bike.
Any suggestions.
Ciao

You may have to buy separate rims and lace them to suitable hubs, GS750 perhaps? I say separate hubs as the standard GS spoke wheels would, I imagine be too narrow for the look of a GSX1100.

Thanks guys, appreciate all the comments, as I said, I will be changing the headlight and seat and see if that improves things, will post pics when I have done that :)

Mad Ratter said:
Sure, what I did was drill the rearset plate 14mm (I think) to take the swingarm pivot and the retaining nut sits nicely in the counterbore. The other mount was where I had ground off the original gear linkage flush, then drilled and tapped M8, was a little tricky to get it square-ish. If you see what I mean. You'll need to space it a couple of mm too after its drilled so it sits flat.
IMG_3554.JPG

Again, a great bike!

From what year is your GSXR rearset?

Back
Top Bottom