Post a pic of your motorcycle as it sits

Just need the rest of it.....;)

j1JqEeT.jpg

Maritime said:
Probably need to line up the front again. I dumped in the drive and my front was tweaked, I just loosened all the clamps and wiggled everything straight and re-tightened and it fixed it. That's the simple explanation, there are steps etc. on the web on how to get everything back in line.

You can place a piece of glass that fits on the tubes to see if they are inline with each other and put a straight edge on them to see if they are bent.

Nice. That seat fits in perfectly. Looks like it is missing something from the back though.

Brodie said:
Nice. That seat fits in perfectly. Looks like it is missing something from the back though.

I was going to say the same thing, that it fits perfectly, the stripes help. What kind of tailight are you going to use?

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I was going to say the same thing, that it fits perfectly, the stripes help. What kind of tailight are you going to use?

I really want to do some sort of dual round light. Like two 2” lights side by side.

JR

CrabsAndCylinders said:

Something like this.

t6.jpg

JR

Thanks Farmer...Shinko 705s don't have a UK based supplier so delivery charges can be uber high!! Also, front and rear are 17", so I might have to run a rear on the front and...ahem, somehow damage the sidewall.

I've got Shinko 705's on my KLR - to be honest I think it'll be the last time too. A little over 2000kms and they're already showing major wear - admittedly most of those kms have been on the road. The next set I may spring for Heidenau's - more $$ upfront but way better mileage.

The Jimbonaut said:
I've got Shinko 705's on my KLR - to be honest I think it'll be the last time too. A little over 2000kms and they're already showing major wear - admittedly most of those kms have been on the road. The next set I may spring for Heidenau's - more $$ upfront but way better mileage.

Thanks for the head's up Jimbo...I don't consider wear rates when buying tyres that look cool...haha! Maybe I should? Possibly go for Pirelli Scorpions or similar. Cheers

Mate, me neither - at least not when I bought those Shinko's! I don't wanna throw them under the bus - other people have found they wear much better. Looks wise they fit the bill, but the Heidenau K60 Scout tires look the business too. More $$'s for sure, but you'll get way better mileage out of them as well

The CB390 out in the wild.....

Attachments

• 6E8F76CC-60C7-4CCE-9204-D7D940F1DE33.jpeg
    6E8F76CC-60C7-4CCE-9204-D7D940F1DE33.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 194
You guys must love having to sort out placement of that bulkhead of a license tag on your bikes over there. That's bigger than the car tags over here in the US.

irk miller said:
You guys must love having to sort out placement of that bulkhead of a license tag on your bikes over there. That's bigger than the car tags over here in the US.

true...it's a major PITA to be honest. Some builders (home or pro) design them in while others stick them on as an afterthought :/

We gotta have'em so I take into account it's got to be there and prefer to design them in rather than have them sticking out or place which look spoor in my eyes.

That 390 has done the best he can I reckon.

Here's my Honda and what I did.

jvI8NjP.jpg

Yeah, the rear of the 390 is a work in progress!

That number plate is actually undersised from the legal requirement !

Steve

28893712027_f8872725a9_z.jpg

This is a 1980 GS550, modified to lighten it and sharpen the handling. The engine was left stock, but cleaned up and tuned. The electrical system was upgraded with a Shorai battery, MOS-FET rectifier, and a relay for the coils. A high-flow petcock was added. Many parts were handmade from aluminum, largely to replace the heavy headlight and instrument mounting parts to reduce weight above the level of the rider's waist. The ignition switch was moved to under the seat, again to reduce weight in the area of the headstock. Tarozzi clip-ons are fully adjustable, as are the homemade rearsets (with parts from Slipstream Cycle Works).

The bike came with swing-arm needle bearings and tapered rollers in the headstock, but longer rear shocks and dropped fork, combined with clip-ons and rearsets, improve handling, ground clearance and rider control. The front brake line was replaced with a steel item, and the calipers were rebuilt. The $35 Chinese seat looks good, is comfortable, and weighs only about a pound and a half. Items like the bobbed front fender and rear frame also reduce weight. This bike is more than 50 lbs lighter than stock.

This is the second GS550 I've built. They're easy to find, respond well to mods, and are a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom