Super Sized Clean Up CBX

surffly

Over 1,000 Posts
71bb421c.jpg

13ca0c04.jpg

ff5126e0.jpg

e6584321.jpg

Was offered a 82 CBX at a price that I just could not pass up.
Bike has 6k miles and is very clean.
Stainless supertrapps ;D
Been sitting for a long time so it needs some love

738f8531.jpg

LOL towing bikes home....

Thought that maybe some how the stars would aline and I would just start and ride it....

Carbs needed to be done.
DSCN1273.jpg

18bb2fdc.jpg

347e553d.jpg

Not really all that bad of a job

More bad luck....
A few of the valves were not sealing all that well so the motor came off and the head was removed
DSCN1338.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

2d902727.jpg

And the hits keep on coming....
The timing chain tensioner was broken. what used to be a $45 part from honda is now $475! bought a $100 USED one!

Well its not all that bad and this will be one hell of a fun bike when its done.

No its the same one.
Really havent done much with it since I dragged it home.
Figured since I have the time now to really put some time into it I would keep track of things in a thread

DSCN1460.jpg

DSCN1461.jpg

DSCN1464.jpg

New bushings and seals for the forks.

DSCN1459.jpg

DSCN1462.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

New pads, seals, pistons, and slider boots.
The master will also be rebuilt and have the res replaced.

Nice work! there is always something that gives you grief eh! lol...........

I have broken those bolts 3 times and I think they get week with age because I never over torque. Looking good so far, Sooo many parts for that motor, everything X6, but soo worth it when completed.

I have the same bike.... just registered it about a month ago. My goal was to have a nice rider... but it turned into a total restoration. After 18 months I ended up with a REALLY nice bike.

DSCN1494.jpg

Rebuilding the alternator

DSCN1495.jpg

Mildly worn brushes.
I just want to get this thing on the road with a fresh start on everything

DSCN1496.jpg

Figured I would polish the cover

DSCN1506.jpg

Alternator polished and ready to go back on the motor

DSCN1502.jpg

Rear master rebuilt

DSCN1501.jpg

New side cover rubbers to keep the nice clean covers from breaking

DSCN1504.jpg

Front brakes back on. just need to be brake bleed

DSCN1505.jpg

Motor in
Installed new carb manifolds

DSCN1500.jpg

Little trick.
These are DOHC Honda needles. They replace the "tabbed" CBX ones.

DSCN1507.jpg

And I found that CR750 that I was working on a long time ago....lol

Been kinda of lazy for the last few days so not much has been done.

Front and rear masters and calipers are rebuilt and installed now just need to bleed them
Tank needs to be flushed out and the petcock rebuild is top on the list as soon as the carbs are on.

Just need to set the floats and 90% of things are ready to go back together.
Taking my time to make sure that the carbs are perfect before they go back on as its a real pain to get them off again

It is a large list of "just need to do"

These carbs have been kicking my ass.
Almost ready to go back on the bike
Still need to order a battery, chain, sprockets, and shock.

This thing will be worth the effort just hearing the sound throw the pipes

I should have known better, but I used some WD40 on the choke plate shafts when I was installing them.....now the plates dont turn.
When the choke is closed on the CBX a small spring closes the plates, but allows them to "flutter". The WD40 leaves a sticky film when dry and is just enough to hole the plates open, the stickyness is stronger then the spring. So I now need to take things back apart and clean them. Cant have the chokes not working, and it a huge job to get the carbs on and off so I want these things to be perfect when they go back on.

The girl and other bikes have been making it hard to devote a few hours of actual focused work to the CBX....lame

I never posted in that thread just to not get the updates. Ive meet david and seen the project. kid does nice work, but its a hell of a long project and he started with a nice clean bike that was a day away from daily street use.....i should not talk as thats what my F was.

Best is reading rocan's posts on other sites when he started this project.

I lost a bet that the CBX would be on the road by memorial day. looks like im going to lose again for the 4th of july.

I hadn't realized that it had ventilated front disks like a CB1100R. Will be an awesome bike when you're done.

Back
Top Bottom