YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

As long as you have a feedheight of a foot or 2 your good. ;)
only reason for the pump is the high mount of the carbs relative to the tank.

furu14 said:
As long as you have a feedheight of a foot or 2 your good. ;)
only reason for the pump is the high mount of the carbs relative to the tank.

Excellent, I was figuring/hoping so. Thanks!

Today was messy. Trying to put together one pair of rear sets but need a new shift lever. Got a good clutch master cylinder together and figured out which front brake master I'll use but need new levers. HEL brake and clutch lines on order. Some more carb parts on order too. I started chemically stripping the tank to see what I have. Failing liner in the tank. I'm going to call around and see if a radiator shop can dip this thing.
tank_stripping.png

Last edited:
I had a hard time finding anyone to mess with fuel tanks. Ended up doing it myself both times. MEK strips red-kote pretty easy, might break down a couple other liners as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The good thing about the YZF tanks is there is a massive plate underneath you remove to get the fuel pump out. Makes it easy to get in there and remove any crud.

hillsy said:
The good thing about the YZF tanks is there is a massive plate underneath you remove to get the fuel pump out. Makes it easy to get in there and remove any crud.

Heck yes it does. First tank I've had like this. It should make it easier when I have to re-coat it too.

I also found a pinhole in the top of the tank. Looks like it should be an easy fix. Doesn't look rotted and there was no dents under the paint.

advCo said:
I had a hard time finding anyone to mess with fuel tanks. Ended up doing it myself both times. MEK strips red-kote pretty easy, might break down a couple other liners as well.

I haven't used MEK before but it's cheap at Home Depot.

canyoncarver said:
I haven't used MEK before but it's cheap at Home Depot.

Its NASTY stuff, be sure to use it outside and a fan/respirator and some long gloves come in handy

advCo said:
Its NASTY stuff, be sure to use it outside and a fan/respirator and some long gloves come in handy

+1!! It's a killer! :eek:

Be careful. :)

So....I received the hydrasonic cleaner and it was bad. I filled it up and turned it on only to hear a crazy noise like it was going to explode and electrocute everything nearby. Definitely not working so I shipped it back this morning. Pisser.

canyoncarver said:
So....I received the hydrasonic cleaner and it was bad. I filled it up and turned it on only to hear a crazy noise like it was going to explode and electrocute everything nearby. Definitely not working so I shipped it back this morning. Pisser.
Mine sounds like a bug zapper. It's how it's made.

irk miller said:
Mine sounds like a bug zapper. It's how it's made.

I had a smaller one way back and it didn't make near the noise of this one. I played with this one long enough to figure out it wasn't working yet still sounded like a really loud turbo bugzapper that was trying to fry a squirrel. I'm going to order another, different size unit. This 6L one was a bit too small as well.

I'll be interested to find a bigger one than what I have. It works well enough, but too often a carb body sticks out of the solution, so I have to flip them.

irk miller said:
I'll be interested to find a bigger one than what I have. It works well enough, but too often a carb body sticks out of the solution, so I have to flip them.

I found 30L units on eBay but around 300+$ that will hold a rack of carbs.
[edit] that's not going to happen.

The 750 twin has been getting more attention than the Fly lately. No ultra sonic cleaner at this point so I'll end up dipping the little stuff in carb cleaner. The clutch and brake lines are here:
yzf750_hydrolines.jpg

Last edited:
Just now found this!!! Count me in, can't wait to see how this turns out!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
I found 30L units on eBay but around 300+$ that will hold a rack of carbs.
[edit] that's not going to happen.

A big plastic tub, couple gallons of pinesol and a vibratory sander duct taped to the top. ;D

cyclefreak said:
Just now found this!!! Count me in, can't wait to see how this turns out!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Right on! I sure hope you are a patient man. I'm stretching myself pretty thin right now. I really dig this bike though and I'm really looking forward to riding this beast. Two bike builds at once plus the van and the chopper upgrades this summer.

Back
Top Bottom