CB550 Brat/Cafe

Tifun

Indy
Well...this is my rebuild thread for Pepper. Plans are pretty simple in sound, execution may be a different story. Earlier this month I had the pleasure to meet a handful of great folks at Kanticoy's(Kiley's and Denise's) house for Barbers Vintage Fest. Besides the usual chit chat I was secretly plotting my build and gathering info on parts I don't have experience with.

This is my 2nd 550 and it came with a great list of wonderful parts out of the box and up until now I've only put on a few new items and performed mostly maintenance to get the bike back to road worthy condition(sat in a shop for roughly 2 years). While it seems I have a plan for this build, really it's just a lot of ideas that will change as I begin to really work on it. First things first is the cosmetic appearance. I'm going to attempt glassing myself. Start with the seat and possibly go on to other non structural components.

Newest mods/work
Rebuilt front caliper...then again at Kiley's(still squeaks)
Replaced the RC engineering pipe and "F" header with the full Yoshi rep(great build quality and sounds amazing with no drone at highway speeds!!! Worth every penny)
Shortened the tail section about 4"
Polished Engined covers

Shortly after I got it(cleaned and road worthy at this point, not that is was bad to begin with)
7877298342_b487e19e0e_z.jpg

New pipe
8c5e2f3a01ad11e2900e22000a1cbaa0_7.jpg

Started polishing and repolishing
ca7484ea0e6e11e2bb2312313810192e_7.jpg

Bike as it sat 2 weeks ago(photo cred: Mitchell Koester) I'm the guy with the beer hahaha
134719_10151121095643003_1398749613_o.jpg

Engine as it sat 2 weeks ago(photo cred: Mitchell Koester)
281579_420542651344774_327010171_n.jpg

60344_419750728090633_315420093_n.jpg

Started the tear down a couple nights ago so this is how she currently sits :)
8126455941_4e007a6c78_z.jpg

8126456653_68a586a193_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Keith

Re: Carl the CB550

Thanks! The wheels are Henry Abe 7 spokes. I've yet to see another set in person. I'm torn about them. I love the rarity but love the look of spokes.

Tifun said:
Thanks! The wheels are Henry Abe 7 spokes. I've yet to see another set in person. I'm torn about them. I love the rarity but love the look of spokes.

Yea they are awesome, can I ask what size u have in the front and rear, and also what was involved in getting them to fit?

SeaBee said:
Where did you order the exhaust?

You can get this setup from moto gpwerks. It's a bit pricey compared to most systems but well worth the coin IMO. You can sometimes find the guy selling them on eBay. I suspect they build them one at a time.

-Keith

Supreme said:
Yea they are awesome, can I ask what size u have in the front and rear, and also what was involved in getting them to fit?

Wheels were on the bike when I got it. Front is a 19 and rear is a 16, you can find 18" rears too. Hard part is locating a front. The beauty about these wheels is that they are designed for this bike. Uses stock rear drum and allows for dual rotors up front. From what I can tell and what I've compared to my spare set of spokes is that they bolt up with no modifications. Hope that helps.

Keith

I made little progress today. Mostly sized up wheel options and did a little prep work for the seat.

I started off with some foam block building, but that's it..(actually did this part yesterday)

8128892556_5852625166_z.jpg

Today's actual work was mostly starting to clean the rear spoke wheel. The front is in great shape, the rear....not so much. I went with grade #0000 steel wool and your basic turtle wax to get the surface cleaned up. It's looking pretty good but I need to disassemble the wheel and I will spend more time on it once completed.

8131973458_92cb18ccbe_z.jpg

I did however make a command decision that I am going to keep the Henry Abe's and use the spokes as back ups. The HA's are going to get refinished in Honda Racing gold if I can find some or at minimum get the PMS color so I can get some mixed. Anyone have any suggestions?????

Here's a shot with the spoke on the rear...
8131934129_9c62d4fcc4_z.jpg

No wheel 8)
8131929263_52b96ba46a_z.jpg

I also discovered that the rear sprocket on the Abe's is a 43 woot! One less item I have to procure. I need to check the front now.

8131952614_5aed2648b6_z.jpg

The last thing I did was weigh each wheel with tire and no brakes. I was surprised to find that the HA's weighted in more. I do suspect the tire that is currently on there isn't helping. I will weight again when the new tires go on.

Spoke 18"
8131944854_aeb589b7e4_z.jpg

Henry Abe 16"
8131950082_a8ac257f95_z.jpg

Outside of that it was a pretty chill day and I'm still trying to get a feel of how I want the finished product to look. I think once I start shaping the seat I'll be able to make the call on how she will be dressed up from that point on.

Thanks for looking
-Keith

You need to get inside "Carl". Those who hung out desperately want to know what is inside that engine! I think you may have a real sleeper there. Your 16'' rear ABE rear hoop may be problematic to find performance rubber for it, no question, they're quite rare and very beautiful. Maybe for "Little Talledega" you might want to run 18" spoked wheels with a pair of fat Bridgestones BT45's.

I've heard the Yoshimura replicas up here in the frozen North and the sound is truly magnificent. Can't wait to see inside the beast, forget the seat and open her up (just kidding). Very nice looking bike.

Kemp - Thanks for the kind words and I truly appreciate you letting me pick your brain while at Kiley's Garage. The engine does get me excited every time I think about it. I will be pulling the top end off soon enough to take a few measurements and get an idea what I'm working with. I hope the shop wasn't pulling my leg on it, and me being the skeptic I am...... lol

Not much progress has been made. Started breaking the spoke wheels down for rebuild. Looking into my options right now. I will be doing new spokes and hoops at minimum; since there's no tires I've got a few options I am considering for size. I am thinking stock width in front and 3" in rear. I'm also considering doing 17" front and rear for better tire options.

8156189780_95d5291e65_z.jpg

Mothgils(Andrew) and I built the "KIT" workstations over the weekend at his place to help keep things a little less....painful on the backs and help with organization.

8151617839_e7244e53f3_m.jpg
8151644226_6f10c338c4_m.jpg

8151648280_7a9a7ae628_m.jpg
8151625311_4833639146_m.jpg

8151629973_f8b5a16b11_m.jpg
8151636311_bd54297621_m.jpg

I still need to pick up casters to make mine mobile like Andrew's, however just using it as a basic work bench last night and today was perfect to sit and do desktop work(as seen above).

I also began a deep clean/reorganize 5S type setup for the garage. It is forcing me to redo some of the main work bench to make it flow better...mainly easier to get a beer out of the fridge while wrenching haha and give a better, more permanent home for the welder verses sitting on top of the bench. I hope to have that finished up by the middle of the week. I will be adding a few more bikes by the end of the weekend and really need to have everything in order so these projects don't get over cluttered.

That's it for now :)

-Keith

I suppose an update is in order..... None really lol. I paused for a bit to help a friend tear into his cb350. Right now the shop is litered with those parts. Here soon when we get his off the bench I can get back at it.

Re: Carl the CB550r

Can anyone assist me in a wire harness question? I want to know if the F harness is different than K harness's... including SS bikes. I need to rebuild my harness or replace it with a good condition used one. I did discover that there were some signifigant ground faults that appear to have melted a good portion of the harness together...not a good combo to have lol.

Thanks for any guidance
Keith

Sorry Keith, I don't have an answer to your question (maybe cross reference the part number on each harness?), but I didn't see your thread til now.

Signed up!

Signed up. What dimesions did you build the tables too? I need to build one for my CX build and like the way you put yours together.

Maritime said:
Signed up. What dimesions did you build the tables too? I need to build one for my CX build and like the way you put yours together.

Mothgils headed this project and we used Kit's design. Here's a link to the build specs on his blog.

http://www.dropbarscinder.blogspot.com/2011/03/bike-table-2-revenge.html?m=1

I have no complaints about it at all. Good work height and the storage space works well too.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom