Vintage Privateer Smoker (RD350 Race Bike)

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Had the itch for a smoker after building up 3 different Hondas to various levels. Decent ones are getting impossible to find on a budget so I ended up spending more than I really wanted to on a pretty decent one. Ran but pissed gas EVERYWHERE, should have only needed carb work and I was tired of looking so I bit.

It came with the stock tank, could of side covers, stock exhaust and a few other small odds and ends. A week after I picked this up, I found another RD350 for $400 that came with enough parts to build two bikes (except only one motor). Saw that RD350 jugs were going for $300 on ebay so I figured even If I parted it out it was work that. No title though. Been fighting with my DMV and finally got a nice older lady to do an override and get me a title on bill of sale and police inspection.

Everything on it is in great shape, I dont think there is one speck of shit on the rims, they look perfect. So, the original RD that i bought Im just going to return to stock and drive it around. This guy here is going to become my gem. Idea is a full fairing cafe bike, some basic motor/exhaust mods but I want to leave it a street bike.

Current plan is to have the bike modified, together, and running by barber. Then, over the winter take it apart and make it all pretty. Thats a pretty quick timeline for me, so we'll see how it works.

I have been REALLY bad at keeping up with build threads, but since this is my first RD, first time working with full fairings, first time working with fiberglass, i'll likely be taking lots of pics and asking for help and opinions on stuff to do. So, please keep an eye out.

Re: First Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

VonYinzer said:
About time!

Yeah, ive been stuck working on my CB350 so I had something for the Thaw to ride. I have three homebrews kegged in my fridge, so I have plunty of garage juice. I need to get a compression tester so I can see if the cylinders are doing well. Might not matter, I will likely take it to a shop and have it re-honed and put some new rings in it since i'll be into it anyways replacing seals and whatnot.

Welp, already bad news... Got a call today from the BMV that they officially changed their rules and we can no longer title on bill of sale only... So at this point im going to have to try a much longer process and try my luck here in indiana or try the old vermont trick...

Sent out my paperwork and cash to the VT department of motor vehicles, will have to wait and see if I can get the registration that way. Don't want to get to far into a project if I cant title the damn thing.

A friend here in PA just did the same thing. Hopefully it works for both of ya.

It is about time i almost forgot about this bike if you need anything let me or von know one of us has it forsure

I got a great tank for that bike that i tring to sell pm me if your intressed

Attachments

• 2013-06-03 04.46.56.jpg
    2013-06-03 04.46.56.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 3,444
  • 2013-05-30 05.51.42.jpg
    2013-05-30 05.51.42.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 3,492

bradj said:
I got a great tank for that bike that i tring to sell pm me if your intressed

I can see the CL ad now: "3 RD400 tanks for sale, slightly modified"

Your project is moving fast!

I missed a water buffalo sale 3 weeks ago and looking for some other stroker.

All these air cooled RD's popping up brings a tear to my eye for the 250 I sold for a 400 and like a dumbass sold the 400 for a car.
Ah well I blame it raging teenage harmones and 70's politicians or any politicians for that matter.

First Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

Not a ton of progress, still kinda waiting to see what comes back as far as titles. Pulled the motor with mothgils help and fitted the td2 fairing just to see it. Phase one is going to be a standard dunstall fairing from airteck while I work on this vintage one. Thought I would post something :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370817196.831455.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370817196.831455.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,856
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370817210.345943.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370817210.345943.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3,616
First Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

Good news, got one frame titled in Indiana and the other in VT. Looks like the build is back on!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371325585.869544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371325585.869544.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,103

Congrats, I know the feeling, bit stressful until you get that title. Love that fairing BTW.

That fairing is sweet. The old will feel young again when they see this and the young will feel unborn.

Back
Top Bottom