Project: Snoopy (74 CB550)

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
This is my first bike build, but ive been rebuilding 80s VWs for awhile now. I got burnt out working on my lastest VW project (an 82 Rabbit pickup turbo diesel) and got a bike which I have always wanted. Got a steal on 2 74 CB550s ($400) that have been sitting in a garage for 15 years.

I wanted someone affordable as its my first bike, and something that I obviously could customize. Ive been working on it about the last 3 weeks, so I'll catch anyone up who's curious.

Here when I first got them home.
photo%286%29.jpg

photo%282%29.jpg

Wanted to go for the Cafe look without spending to much money, so I took a body hammer and smashed in some knee indents, smoothed everything out with bondo. Ground out the badge brackets and leaded in the dents left behind.
photo%20%2828%29.jpg

photo%20%2831%29.jpg

Then Bobbed the font fender
photo%20%2829%29.jpg

Put some Clubman bars on the bike and ran the wiring thought the bars (this took an ENTIRE DAY)
photo%20%2840%29.jpg

PAINT TIME! Decided to paint it Candy White to match the the VW that im currently working on. I think im going to build a bike bracket in the back of it so I can haul it around. Would look cool with them both matching at shows.
photo%20%2835%29.jpg

photo%20%2838%29.jpg

photo%20%2839%29.jpg

photo%20%2836%29.jpg

Touched it up with a black stripe and painted the knee indents
photo.jpg

photo%283%29.jpg

Put everything together!
photo%282%29.jpg

Decided it needed some pinstripes along both sides of the main stripe, and outlined the side covers.
photo.jpg

Ive got a Honda Decal that a friend designed for me that is currently being printed. It'll be black and put on the tank. I think once thats on there it really all be pulled together.

Re: Easy Bake Bike (74 550)

i have to go do some traveling. everyone is coming up on bigger bikes for the price of one down here in la it sucks haha people try to rip you off out here damn them
the build looks good can't wait to see what they will look like

Does anyone have any good ideas for a tail light? Im going to bob the rear fender, and leave the stock seat. I was looking for something that either A would stay on top but be much smaller, or one that would fit under the lip of the rear fender.

Did a little more work to the bike. Decided to start working on the seat some.

Its a stock seat frame with a cut tank.

Seat.PNG

Tank.PNG

I used a wood back and used SubFloor Adhesive to glue it in. Its not in the pics, but I filled all of the open space with expanding foam so it wouldn't hold water.

photo%282%29.jpg

photo%283%29.jpg

I still need to get it upholstered but, I attached it to the bike to make sure everything still lined up correctly. (sorry for dark cell pics here), gives you a good Idea about how it wraps around rear fender. I think it came out really well.

photo%284%29.jpg

photo%285%29.jpg

VonYinzer said:
looks nice man. you work fast! does the bike run though?

Other than the bad battery it runs like a champ. I rebuild the carbs and cleaned the points with new plugs, didn't really post much up about all of the mechanical work that was done on it.

looks great! very well done without extensive work!

Thanks for the kind words.

I got it back from the upholster yesterday and am happy with how it turned out. I want to do some more minor work like drilling the rotors and getting some new headlight brackets but for the most part its done now. Time to just enjoy it!

photo%286%29.jpg

photo%287%29.jpg

Been awhile since Ive made any changes to the bike as there always seems to be a short in the wiring to chance down somewhere. However, I picked up a set of gauges a few months ago and finally got them on the bike. Ive also picked up a set of rearsets, i'll get around to making brackets for them hopefully this winter.

NewGuage1.jpg

NewGuage2.jpg

Love the new gauges dude! I think I am going to pick up a set this winter. They definitely clean up the front end.

Very sharp build. Recognized you from the Vortex. I've sold off all my dubs.

Post some more pics when you get a chance.

vortex! I hope this site doesn't go the way of that one...too many girlie men worried about their tight jeans and stretched tires.

Sick looking 550 man!

pawn said:
vortex! I hope this site doesn't go the way of that one...too many girlie men worried about their tight jeans and stretched tires.

Sick looking 550 man!

I got banned from there about 10 years ago... clearly it went downhill once I was gone.

bbillington said:
Very sharp build. Recognized you from the Vortex. I've sold off all my dubs.

Post some more pics when you get a chance.

I haven't been on there much since they re-did the site. Im still working on my 81 caddy, but its alot more expensive to work on than bikes so its progress is alot slower.

Back
Top Bottom