The Twinstar Project

CALfeRacer

Fat man on a little bike
I've had a bunch of CM250 parts that I've been holding on to for about a year and a half now that have been taking up space. I had it set in my mind that I just needed a frame to put everything on, and was reluctant to get rid of anything. Well, I wanted to make room for a new project, so I needed to clear out all of my CM parts. I was pretty bummed, but ended up running across an ad for a 200 with a locked motor. PERFECT! So I drove a few hours north, met a really cool guy, and picked it up for a few $20s. I'm hoping to get this old girl running soon, since I'm not planning anything too crazy.
Here she is as I picked her up:
d3bedf2d1e06a4e2a297ba5639ff96be.jpg

I'm not sure exactly which direction I want to go yet, but I'm thinking something a bit scrambler-esque. It would mainly be for tooling around town, and also hitting some dirt roads and tooling around in my back yard. I'm thinking about swapping on a cb175 tank, but might keep the stocker. Will be shaving the seat down if not replacing. I'm thinking about putting on a set of Shinko 241s:
e6be55d6c93a32c9f8d29d604eddc7f5.jpg

Otherwise I'll use a set of Michelin Gazelles. I laced up an 18" rear rim (1.85) and will swap on an 18" front from the 250. Will either run gazelles in 3.00 or 241s in 3.50.
I'm in the middle of tear-down right now, getting ready to swap in the 250 motor and harness.

You sure that downtubes gonna be strong enough? ::) ::) ::)

Sorry. Had to be done.

CM 200's are one of my favorites. I'm in.

I'm located in San Luis Obispo. Going to school down here.
I haven't ridden a CM before but I had a Nighthawk 250 and I loved that thing. That bike is actually the reason I have all of these CM250 parts

CALfeRacer said:
I'm located in San Luis Obispo. Going to school down here.

Cool I love in Monterey area (Pacific Grove to be accurate) we will have to meet up some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ply318ci said:
Cool I love in Monterey area (Pacific Grove to be accurate) we will have to meet up some time.

For sure man! I'd like to meet some people from DTT. I know there are a couple others in and around SLO.

CALfeRacer said:
For sure man! I'd like to meet some people from DTT. I know there are a couple others in and around SLO.

Awesome. I would love to meet some people also. Most of my riding is solo.

Intake on the motor was shot, luckily I had a spare laying around. Will be ordering carb o-rings once I get home, and if I have time the engine will go in. Looking at putting the 250 swingarm on, otherwise I'll just lace the 18" rim to the 200 hub.
I've also been mulling over setting up a dual-carb system, but right now the priority is to make it run well in a close to stock form.

Did a bit of work on the rear wheel.
Stock vs re-laced 250 hub
5b7e81c17c76dab45a19ba0b1c4d1963.jpg

Mockup on the bike. 250 front wheel (18") and 200 read hub with 18" rim laced on
d8d0af556ee0e87951af7b622b8b4e31.jpg

Ordering a few gaskets then the motor will be going in. Need to solder the wires coming off of the signal generator, they broke just after the grommet. Picked up a headlight at a swap meet this weekend that I'll be running, just need to fab a couple brackets. Gauges are off and the bracket will be modified to run just the speedo in the center.
I started looking at the wiring. The controls that came with are pretty much toast, and the connectors don't match the ones on my harness. Thinking about chopping connectors and replacing them all with bullets, or new connectors. Probably going to try to run a separate toggle switch for the kill, and push button for the starter. Then just a universal throttle and brake perch. Might try to salvage the left switch, but not sure yet.
Sorry, no pictures for this update.

I'm looking at buying tires... Rims are both 1.85x18". Not sure if I should be running a 3.00 or a 3.50. I believe stock was a 3.25. Shinko recommends the 3.00 with a 1.85 rim on their website though.
Looking at either Gazelles in 3.00, Shinko 241s in 3.00, or Shinko 244s in 3.50. Could also run a Shinko 712 in 100/90 as a street tire option. Anyone have experience with these?

Decided to do the SR241 in 3.00. Local shop has them, and they give a discount on the install if you buy through them. They'll also true my rear wheel for me. I got it close, but I don't have an actual truing stand and I'd rather leave it to a pro this time around. Pretty much everything else is ordered, so things should progress pretty good once all the parts get here. I'm probably going to break the rim down one more time and hit all the spokes with some steel wool to clean them up a bit, and try to clean the hub a bit before it gets put back on. This bike is going to be ridden hard, so I don't really have any desire for it to be clean or shiny. Just want it to work well.

Just picked up the wheels from the shop. Waiting on chain and sprockets to show up to mount them. Also grabbed the spare signal generator I had to replace the one on the motor with trashed wires.
3ef0687dced654a13bebbe9db77da9e6.jpg

Thanks! I feel like this is the quickest I've been able to go through a project so far. I think it's the combo of having a lot of the parts, and being semi-confident

Woooooo box of parts! All that's left are the carb parts coming from Canada, which should be here Wednesday.
d9bbbcf423337f5a433e1f290e3e6bab.jpg

Carb parts are here, and I have all day to work on the bike. Should have a roller pretty soon.
I need to solder the wires from the pickup, or swap out the one from the spare cover. Also looking at cutting up some CBR headers to see if they'll work on the 250. They may be a touch big, but if they fit the exhaust ports that's enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom