3DogNate's XS650 Bobber - DONE!!!

3DogNate

"You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
So, I horse traded a buddy for a torn down '83 XS650 back in March. I did not touch it all summer, I decided to get on it a bit this winter. I even picked up a heater for the garage so that I won't freeze while working :)

Here's how I brought it home:
null_zpse7e2cfb3.jpg

Here's the Voodoo Vintage Hardtail I bought for it:
null_zps0706aac8.jpg

I nutted up and cut the frame up for the Hardtail tonight. So I guess I've officially started.
null_zps695b8055.jpg

I'll be cross posting the build over at the XS650 forum also...

Here's what I ended up with at the end of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Re: 3DogNate's XS650 Bobber - Frame is chopped

Knowing the amazing work you did with the Spartan, I'm in for this one

3DogNate's XS650 Bobber - Frame is chopped

mrjoshzombie said:
Knowing the amazing work you did with the Spartan, I'm in for this one

The Spartan is a sweet bike.... But it's not my build. :)

God I forgot how much I hate grinding off welds... I need to borrow my buddy's welder and his help to fit the engine to the frame so that I can tack the hard tail on...
null_zpsdae5f456.jpg

Well I was able to slip the engine in by myself by laying it on it's side. Good thing I decided to put the motor in rather than take my chances. The back bone definitely moved once it was cut. I'll get some tack welds in place and move onto the neck gussets. I have an acquaintance with a CNC plasma cutter I might see if he can whip me out a set of fancy gussets. Though I like the ones that Hugh sells... I may go with those.

null_zpsd0252e74.jpg

Cool. Following.

I'm running the same hardtail on my '81.

I got my buddy's welder, it's a 110v Lincoln, it's got gas but it is neigh impossible to make a good looking weld. So I just tacked the hard tail on, I'll get a real welder after it later. I've only got 110 in my garage at the moment. I'll get the neck area cleaned up next... Also you can see my tank choice, I went with a ribbed one, I need to shorten the tabs a bit to get it to fit the frame well.
null_zpsd302e750.jpg

Also here's the LaRosa seat I picked up
null_zps3b3aae63.jpg

Gussets are gone. Have new ones on the way from Hugh's Handbuilt. I have a few more parts on the way too.

I'm in.
I got hooked on xs650's years ago watching the bikes on xs650chopper.com.

I am going with forward controls on this build. I welded on the brake pivot. I may get in and make my own controls though, the more I look at them, I am appreciating the simple lines of the TC Bros. Forward controls. I have a brake stay kit on the way from them too should be here in a couple of days, I'll toss a wheel on and get it located. :)

83C60459-98E2-484E-B0C9-F94EDA49701B_zpst9ngpvvj.jpg

I was able to get the brake stay tab located and welded on. I have a couple of sets of wheels for this thing... these heritage spokes are the best looking of the lot. the chrome is okay and the spokes cleaned up fair. I really don't want to re-lace these sons-o-bitches... looks intimidating, especially the front wheel. If I do end up re-lacing (I'll have it done... there's a local guy that does a killer job with wire wheels for dirt cheap...) I'll have the hubs and rims powdered black and do stainless spokes. That'll be for the spring though... I have a couple of months to decide which wheels I want to commit to.

Well... once I figured out that the polarity was wrong for solid wire w/ gas on my buddy's welder I borrowed I got much, much better welds. (I'm untrained, Google's my friend.) So I got in there and welded in my new gussets and did a new crossover tube rather than cleaning up the old one. Not as pretty as a nice TIG weld but with a smidge of grinding to it'll look good under powder coat.

A3FE45A3-DF8C-4312-BDF6-A9342A310D54_zpswmtv6fw9.jpg

Its looking great. Ive got you bookmarked.

I have always had a question when it comes to homespun hard tails...

How in the world do you know (measure) the rear frame (tire) is gonna track properly w the front end (tire).

Like both tire are plumb to one another?

trek97 said:
Its looking great. Ive got you bookmarked.

I have always had a question when it comes to homespun hard tails...

How in the world do you know (measure) the rear frame (tire) is gonna track properly w the front end (tire).

Like both tire are plumb to one another?

If the distance from the neck tube to a point on the right rear axle mount is the same as the same point on the left... It'll track correctly.

That does make perfect sense. It just "seems" like it would be a whole lot more involved than that to me.

I think I would just drive myself nuts, checking and rechecking. But, obviously it must work. Its not really new cutting edge tech.

trek97 said:
That does make perfect sense. It just "seems" like it would be a whole lot more involved than that to me.

I think I would just drive myself nuts, checking and rechecking. But, obviously it must work. Its not really new cutting edge tech.

Nope. That's it. On mine we checked from the front motor mounts to the rear axle plates on either side.

Somebody bought himself an early Christmas present. Look what FedEx just dropped off. :)

FB6F09DE-4A43-45C7-926A-7E2F9A1EB022_zpskbrjsqmu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom