Are pod filters worth it on a CX500?

phillgripper

79 CX500
I have 2 Honda CX500's 1 to bob and 1 to cafe. I really like the look of pod filters but was told by the people at my local honda moto shop that they would be "too much of a hassle" and that "I would never get my bikes running right if I put pods on and removed the air box." I've seen a lot of CX's on here with pods so...pod filters, good idea or bad idea?

I've also heard that some pods don't breath as well as stock airboxes, but never having tested them, I don't know if this is true or not. Any time you start messing with your exhaust or intake, you'd better be prepared to buy a bunch of jets and needles so you can tune it right. A while back there was a link to a Japanese site that sold tuning sets that included a range of pilot jets, main jets and needle jets for a bunch of different models.

tuning the carbs will definately be needed. i helped a friend tune his carbs on his kz550ltd after converting to pods and modifying his exhaust and we ended going up 2 jet sizes on the mains and it's running ok, but we'll need to do some messing with the slow jets and shim the needle too. the best prices i've found on jets is at www.jetsrus.com most the vintage bike jets cost around 3-7$ each. the was a post somewhere on a forum i read that had rough calculations to get you into the right range for main jet sizes. i.e. up one size for 4-1 exhaust from stock, up 2 jet sizes for pod filters etc, then you'd add the sizes and subtract one to get the rough size? don't quote me on the math, but it's something like that.

Probably not a good idea. Stock carbs on the CX500 are CVs and those type really need an air smoothing system to work well. You can go with pods but your mid-range running will be a bit rough. If you don't mind shelling out a bit more $$$ you can run with velocity stacks, though.

Put "pods" in the search engine, and you'll find a lot of info and opinions. I'm currently podding a bike that had absolutely no air filters whatsoever, and the stock airbox was long gone.

After putting on the pods, I'll begin the obligatory rejetting.

Unless you absolutely LOVE taking your carbs apart countless times, buying and installing main and pilot jets, messing with needle position, all to get a bike to run--if you're lucky, and know what you're doing--just about as well as a stock bike, and you'll probably have low rpm stumbles, etc, becuse you don't have the tuned intake length of the stock air system, then go with pods...lots of variables with pods...

Some bikes run with minimal carb adjustment after installing pods...others never run quite right, no matter what you do..

Just my .02

I'd agree with the velocity stacks. Have a loof at the stock airbof and that will give you a good idea of the intake length prior to the filter. If you can get intake tubes or velocity stacks of a similar length then you're off to a good start.

I'd also agree that grabbing the first set of pods which you see off ebay won't be a great idea, you need to make sure that you're getting something that breathes. Also, be prepared to change or dry clean those filters regularly due to them being out in the elements a lot more.

And you will need to tune it afterwards too, so do get a fistfull of jets in anticipation.

will do - but i got a long way to go still before that thing is even running lol.

Also - there is an anti-pod mod on SOHC for a different bike, i'm thinking about fabbing something similiar...hell i might even use a velocity stack instead and just add extra foam with oil at the end.

Okay this is my experience with carb rejetting and motorcycles and well any machine that has a carburetor. Anytime you modify the originally factory setup up exhaust and intake specifications your going to have to do SOMETHING to the amount of air and fuel that goes into the engine. NOW with motorcycles my experience is that when the exhaust is changed you might need to change the air fuel ratio some, BUT when you change the intake for example with pod filters or whatever it changes the air and fuel ratio GREATLY! I am building a CX 500 cafe racer right now and I am keeping the air box on it. You can put pod filters and less restricted exhaust on the CX 500 and rejett the carbs and you WILL gain some performance out of it. You have to know what your doing! The worst thing you could do is make a lean condition where you start burning up things in the engine. Pod and velocity stack type filters two into one exhaust and straight pipes are really more for bike racing applications. The Honda engineers setup the CX 500 with an airbox and exhaust that will give your ROAD machine the BEST performance and the BEST economy out of your bike. Now notice what I said here ROAD machine. I am not going to be racing my CX 500 and will just be cruising the roads with it so all the modifications are not necessary.

Look up CXMAN's Mikuni conversion.
If you have the funds, it will really wake up the motor and let you run pods.
Pods with CV carbs is a very bumpy road at best.

I am building a CX 500 Cafe right now and the thing I was tossing around the idea of putting on POD filters. Even though I like the look of the removed air box I decided for my build I would keep the stock air box. I road the bike completely stock for a while and it pulled strong and hard with great acceleration! My thinking is if it aint broke why fix it? I have played this game before with an XS650 where I tried different aftermarket Mikuni carbs and than tried to get the best performance out of the CV carbs. With lots of testing and tuning I had it running even better than stock but paid A LOT of money for all the extra jets and different after market carbs till I found the right setup that I liked. This Honda of mine is just going to be a road machine so I think the air box is the best way to go!

Back
Top Bottom