Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way- 73 TX500

Well, I got a start on the wiring yesterday. So far, I replaced the original glass fuse with a modern blade-type, and tested my new ignition switch with the key start, and it does crank over with the key. Of course, this made my mistakes with the kick start mechanism more apparent, so before I finish the wiring I'm going to re-open the right side of the engine and give it one last try before I just give up on having a kick starter. It doesn't really work that well with rearsets, anyway, but I really want one if I can make it work. When I open up the cases, I'm going to see if I can get the balancer out, and eliminate it if I can, as well.
I still plan on going with electronic ignition, but I may try to get the bike running again with the points, just so I can ride it and see where the bugs are. I'll go electronic after I get everything else sorted. And I'm STILL having issues getting that broken exhaust stud out of the head. I tried two different styles of stud removers, and it just snapped further down. There's about a half inch still exposed now. So on my next day off, I'm breaking out the welder. If that doesn't work, I'm drilling it out, and noone wants that.
I've been trying to find another alternative to the factory oil filter as well. I took the adaptor/housing/whatever off the junk motor I scrapped, and I've been going around bike shops in town to see if a different company makes a filter that will work. No luck so far.
T hat's my update for today. Later.
TS

Wasn't there a an adapter available that converts it to "normal" ie commercially available filters. Search for that - maybe it was Joe the Powder guy JRK that mentioned it on his build.

The operative word there is "was". Yamaha made a kit back in the day that used the filter off such bikes as the FZ600, if I'm not mistaken. Turns out, a filter from a Hyundai Tiburon v6 will fit as well, even better, as a matter of fact, but those adaptors are thin on the ground. So for now, I'm trying to find another filter that fits the stock adaptor. Should that fail, I could also make something up like Joe did, and put an inline cooler in the circuit as well.

Check out my filter write up at xs500blogspot.com Scroll back to the older posts. There are no other filters that fit,OEM or crappy EMGO that leak are the choices.Or something like my filter setup.

Jimmer, I really like the way you dealt with the oil filter issue, and I may go that route. I just wanted to check if a (relatively) modern Suzuki Honda or Kawasaki might use a filter that would work. You are right, nothing. But I had to try.
TS

2011-10-14125836.jpg

Successfully attached the Honda Hurricane rearsets today. I even got the shift linkage working, if a little too low.
2011-10-14124026.jpg

I'm still trying to work out the best way to maker a linkage for the rear brake, but I've got an idea to use the splines from the original brake pedal, and weld a tab to it. Hard to describe, you'll see it when it's done.
I did manage to also get the front brake operational, as well. The new caliper adaptor is on it's way, but for now, the hydraulic portion is completed. I tried the "weld a nut on method" to extract my broken exhaust stud, but I didn't have a good weld. I'll try it again Monday. If that fails, I'll try to drill and tap. If THAT fails, I'll be looking for a GS500e motor.

if all else fails, take the head off and find a local machine shop with a tap burner.... they can burn that stud right out and I'm sure it wouldn't cost much... would take them less than 5 minutes

Yeah, Jake- I've been toying with that too.... Mainly because I'd like to get my hands on a later head. I know how often these early ones crack. Of course, that's why I'm avoiding removing it. The bike runs. I don't want to take it apart and find out I can't put it back together. Delaying the inevitable, y' know?

2011-10-17120316.jpg

Well, here is as far as I can go without more money. There are a few little things I can still work on yet, like wiring and installing fork seals, because I either already have the necessary parts, or I can procure them for little to no cash.
2011-10-17120529.jpg

I like this view the best. Very aggressive. I'd like it more if I could afford the taillight I want. I've decided on the Shot Glass Taillight from After Hours Choppers. I realize paying $150 for a taillight is excessive, and wanting to when you're broke is worse, but I don't know of a cooler taillight out there, and it would fit in with the style of the bike so well.
2011-10-17120225.jpg

Oh, yeah, I did do some stuff today. I welded in my new battery tray. And I discovered that I need to find a way to move the kickstand tang forward about an inch when the stand is up. I hit it with my toes when I'm shifting. The front brake is operational, even if the caliper needs to be oriented differently. (this is being addressed) I'm still doing little stuff here and there, but this is pretty much what she's going to look like.
She needs some more love, but I'm really happy with the overall look.
I need to go talk to some people at Manpower about getting into a factory where an old friend of mine works, and if I succeed at that, I'll be bringing in enough cash to keep going.

man really like the front brake set up you did ! anyway you can post the final dimensions for the hanger? and that seat is a airtek Duc92up seat /tail got the same one on my XS.. really like what your doing man and hope you find some work to get her up and running.....
seat2.jpg

Haha! Great minds think alike, eh? My seat is definitely not an Airtech piece, but it looks the part, so who cares, right? The Ducati seat shape worked well with the Yamaha tank.
As far as the dimensions on the final revision of the caliper bracket, I don't have them yet. But Kodiak (see above posts) is the machinist. I'm just an artist in the medium of cast-off parts. If he's willing to share, it's his baby. I made the original piece out of cardboard, and sent him my (wrong) measurements. And made a lot of changes since. So I can't say for sure where they ended up. I can say that I'm using an '89 FZR600 rotor and an '87 CBR600 caliper, and the caliper needs to mount 15mm inboard of the original fork mounts. The rest I kind of forgot....

I have no problems sharing.... i still have the mastercam file, i'll try to drop some dimensioning on it and see if i can find a way to post it when i get some spare time at work.

Well your bike is looking killer man airtek seat or not still has sweet lines ! was looking for a cool set up for the front brakes might have to talk to Kodiak about a hanger when i get there !

Fate is messing with me.... There is a 91 GS500e on Craigslist Milwaukee for $300. If I had 300 bucks, I'd be on it like flies. Running or not... Is it obvious I don't want to tear down my motor?

2011-10-24175204.jpg

Sometimes the solution to a problem is simpler than you imagined. In this case, not so much, but it is something I felt stupid for not thinking of... I kind of forgot that I had a 9,000 mile motor sitting outside the shop. That is, until I began clearing out my tools in preparation to bring the bike home, and saw it sitting there. Soooooooo... I took the head off. This is what I found inside. But who cares? Barring a couple of stuck exhaust valves and the plugs broken off flush, it'll come in quite handy. So much for my problem with the broken exhaust stud!

looks like someone burnt soup !

2011-10-24210003.jpg

Here's the other side of the coin. The plugs are broken off, and three exhaust valves were stuck (it's two now). But it's better than trying to drill out the exhaust stud on what I recently discovered is a cracked head. Off to the machine shop!

was that the good engine out of the 3 ? or is that the one you want to use ? nice thing is lets you build some performance into it !

These last shots are the lowest-mileage motor of the 3. It had 9600 miles on it when it was put in storage in 1975. Hadn't run since. When I gave the bike to my buddy, the first thing he did was snap off the plugs flush with the head. So I swapped in the last motor available. Mine is still the original that came in it from the factory. Since neither of us was interested (at the time) in taking the head off to fix it, it sat outside.
I still don't want to take the head off my bike, since I'm lacking a few tools (like a camchain breaker or installer) necessary to reassemble it. I also need to find a good head gasket. But it would seem to be the most logical way to fix the problem I'm having with the broken exhaust stud on the right cylinder, plus I get to inspect the motor's innards. Oh, and the original head is cracked, so there's that, too.
A good full-radius valve job would be nice, as well.

dont know but can the head be fixed? im still learning what can and cant be done and never heard anyone say they can be fixed just that you need to keep a eye on it . well good luck man !

Back
Top Bottom